Other wing encampments

Started by Extremepredjudice, January 19, 2013, 07:54:18 AM

Extremepredjudice

I've been inquiring about going to out of state encampments, some of them are requiring wing/cc endorsement.

What is the best way to go about getting this?
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Slim

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on January 19, 2013, 07:54:18 AM
I've been inquiring about going to out of state encampments, some of them are requiring wing/cc endorsement.

What is the best way to go about getting this?

All of them should, as stated on the signature page of the CAPF 31.

That being said:

• Figure out which wing's encampment you'd like to attend, contact that encampment (usually the commander), verify that the encampment accepts out of wing applicants (some don't, some can't due to space limitations), and ask about staff applications, etc.  Be prepared to answer questions like "Why do you want to come here instead of your own wing?"

• Once this is received, fill out the CAPF 31, get squadron commander's signature.

• Send application packet to wing commander with a cover letter telling him what he is being asked to sign and why.

• Once returned, send to the address listed on the encampment application.

• Attend activity, make new friends, see a different perspective.

• Profit.
Actually, having staffed and run an encampment that was traditionally very welcoming to people from outside our wing/region, it wasn't that difficult.  More than once, I accepted an email from the wing commander or vice commander (in the boss's stead) as wing approval.

Slim

SarDragon

BTDT! At Slim's event! Worked great! MIWG runs a really good encampment. Check it out.

I hear CAWG runs a good one, too.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ol'fido

ILWG Summer Emcampment has welcomed out of state applicants for many years. A group of our key staffers travels here from TX every year. We have had years where we have had attendees from 8-10 different wings. Some of the ones I can think of off the top of my head. IA,HI,CO,MO, OH, IN, WI, PA,TX, KY, MN, MI. If you can figure out the logistics, come on up. I am the Deputy Commander this year.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

abdsp51

Ca Wg does run an awesome encampment typically held at Camp San Luis Obispo mainly sometimes it's at Pendleton.  The drawback for it though is there is alot of travel involved for staff.  Which unless you have a good chunk of change saved up or at your disposal I wouldn't recommend for someone out of state.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

RI Wing's Encampment is held in the Spring (14 to 19 April this year) and has almost always had cadets from other wings. A lot want to apply for NCSA's that Summer.

sarflyer

I can highly recommend the RI encampment also if your from the area or want to pay the money to get there.  It's small, inexpensive and focused.  I send cadets from my squadron in CT every year.  Nothing against the other ones including CT's which will be run this year, they have been the best bang for the buck!

Lt. Col. Paul F. Rowen, CAP
MAWG Director of Information Technology
NESA Webmaster
paul.rowen@mawg.cap.gov

Extremepredjudice

I would love to attend all these encampments, but I don't have near that much money...

I had a few specific wings in mind, because of transportation, cost, etc.

I don't even know if I will be able to go to anything this summer (my school said they'd teach DE and physics in the summer, and I need both).

Do I need to send it to the group/cc as a curtesy? Also, will emailing the application to the wing king suffice, or do I need to mail it?

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Woodsy

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on January 19, 2013, 07:57:14 PM
I would love to attend all these encampments, but I don't have near that much money...

I had a few specific wings in mind, because of transportation, cost, etc.

I don't even know if I will be able to go to anything this summer (my school said they'd teach DE and physics in the summer, and I need both).

Do I need to send it to the group/cc as a curtesy? Also, will emailing the application to the wing king suffice, or do I need to mail it?

You're a single cadet in one of over 90 squadrons, in a wing with over 4,000 members.  You should NEVER email the Wing Commander ANYTHING. 

Submit it to your squadron commander, who will send it to group, who will send it to wing.  Chain of command at its most basic level. 

Time critical issues aside, even as a wing-level director, appointed by the Wing Commander, I never go straight to him.   

Extremepredjudice

Yeah, but you do know my squadron commander....

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

coastguard69

SCWG Encampmentis a very good one in my opinion. We have many cadets from other wings, most from NCWG but we do get a few GAWG and the occasional FLWG ever year. I'm sure its pretty far out of your reach but if there is a possibility of you being able to, I would love to see you there this year. It will probably be held at Parris Island USMC Training Center again this year
SCWG Encampment - 2012,2013
National Color Guard Competition(Commander) -
1st Place SCWG;3rd Place MER (March 2013)
GES,UDF,IS100,IS200,IS700,ICUT
Wright Brothers #22323 (December 2012)

Pylon

Give to your immediate chain of command (to hand to your squadron commander) your completed CAPF 31 along with a postage-paid envelope to the encampment registrar for the activity you wish to attend.  Your squadron commander should send it to the group/CC for review and approval or not (not as a courtesy, but as a matter of the chain of command), if you have a group structure.  If he or she approves, he or she should send your CAPF 31 to Wing.  Often the Wing/DCP receives these first to review them for the wing commander's signature.  Approved applications would then get send to the encampment registrar/commander.  Sometimes a courtesy copy may be returned to your unit.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP