Main Menu

New 900-2

Started by kd8gua, January 06, 2013, 09:37:06 AM

Eclipse

It's a bummer about the USAF wings.  It's going to force a fair number of encampments and other activities to redesign their
t-shirts and other collateral, but it'll kill that !@#$% metallic blue abomination that's been floating around since 2003,
so that's a silver lining.

As to people using the "olde" stuff improperly, there's still a fair number of places the "olde" stuff pops up from NHQ
in documents, photos, etc., so I wouldn't expect the "bad" TTT to disappear from the landscape completely any time soon.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

It might have helped it they had clarified in this new version what are now "no longer acceptable graphics, elements, and uses."   At least then you could point to the CAPR 900-2 and say "Look, it's very clear.  This [Air Force Hap Arnold wings lockup/Roundel/Emblem/Logo/] is no longer usable. Please change it."
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: Pylon on January 07, 2013, 05:35:16 PM
It might have helped it they had clarified in this new version what are now "no longer acceptable graphics, elements, and uses."

Agree - I didn't see any phase-out, either.  In the past there has been a phase-out period to allow for the consumption
of letterhead, etc.

I've got a pile of business cards to pitch now, and a few logos to change.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Are we missing the 90-day periods for comment on these new regs?  Seems like had this feedback been provided prior to the reg being issued, a lot of this could have been clarified and improved.

arajca

There was no comment period for these latest changes.

JeffDG

Quote from: arajca on January 07, 2013, 07:56:08 PM
I haven't seen a regulation posted for comment in quite some time.

A few of the recent dump could have used some external comment, like the new 110-1.

The comment period was very useful.  I know some input into the new Public Affairs regulation avoided a serious ambiguity that could have caused problems (and NHQ responded to the comment almost immediately and made the requested change to clarify) before it became a final regulation.

Pylon

Yeah.  That needs to change.

ctrossen

Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on January 07, 2013, 01:35:06 PM
I hate they did away with the Hap Arnold symbol.  That was a great link to "Ma Blue."  Cadets loved it.

I have the feeling that was a USAF dictate.

The USAF site used to have a far more liberal use policy of the Hap Arnold Wing. That has changed drastically now:

http://www.trademark.af.mil/symbol/displaying/index.asp

Now, only MAJCOM and higher can nestle a logo inside of the wing.

On one hand, it's a bummer. On the other hand, I'd say more than 75% of the CAP uses of that particular logo were incorrect, so in the long run it's not necessarily a bad thing.
Chris Trossen, Lt Col, CAP
Agency Liaison
Wisconsin Wing

RiverAux

Thought that Hap Arnold/CAP combination was horrible looking and am glad its gone. 

RogueLeader

Quote from: RiverAux on January 07, 2013, 10:37:23 PM
Thought that Hap Arnold/CAP combination was horrible looking and am glad its gone.

I liked it alot, and use it on my letterhead.  Now I have to change it.   >:(
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Woodsy

Florida Wing has used the CAP Hap Arnold on an official business card template for wing staff members for years.  The staff still has to purchase the cards with their own funds, so I'm still expecting them to be in use until people run out. 

LegacyAirman

Quote from: ctrossen on January 07, 2013, 09:22:19 PM
I hate they did away with the Hap Arnold symbol.  That was a great link to "Ma Blue."  Cadets loved it.

The USAF site used to have a far more liberal use policy of the Hap Arnold Wing. That has changed drastically now:

On one hand, it's a bummer. On the other hand, I'd say more than 75% of the CAP uses of that particular logo were incorrect, so in the long run it's not necessarily a bad thing.

I just want to point out that what you all are referring to is not the Hap Arnold symbol. This is: http://www.trademark.af.mil/logos/hap/index.asp. That is the "official Air Force symbol".  :( It was designed by a private corporate identity firm, Siegel & Gale (italics mine). The Hap Arnold insignia was used after WWII; initially still authorized on the new uniform and continuing on flight gear until the early '60's at least. I have a pamphlet from basic training in 1975 with the Hap Arnold symbol on the back cover.

I, and others I know, feel the same way about the new symbol as some feel about the "Triangle Thingy". The other services haven't changed their symbols, why should the Air Force?

SarDragon

Quote from: LegacyAirman on January 09, 2013, 01:33:10 AM
I, and others I know, feel the same way about the new symbol as some feel about the "Triangle Thingy". The other services haven't changed their symbols, why should the Air Force?

"The Army has doctrine, the Navy has tradition, and the Air Force is new."
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

LGM30GMCC

I would argue the Army has used different symbols over the years as well. I don't think the Marine's use much other than their ubiquitous eagle, globe, and anchor. Not too sure about the Navy I admit.

Pylon

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on January 09, 2013, 07:07:42 AMI don't think the Marine's use much other than their ubiquitous eagle, globe, and anchor. Not too sure about the Navy I admit.

Bingo on the Marine Corps.  Our service emblem (the Eagle, Globe & Anchor) is also the central element on our seal, is also our cap badge and collar devices, is also embroidered on our cammies, and is featured on our guidons, flags, etc.   Even the Air Force symbol, it all its uses, doesn't quite go that far.  The symbol on the service uniform buttons is a different wing symbol, the service cap badges are different, it's not seen on any Air Force uniform (except the lightweight blue jacket if the airman gets the optional embroidery), and it's not in the Air Force seal.   CAP actually had more "universality" and widespread use with its symbol of the triangle & propeller, which could be seen worked into everything from the CAP seal, to the command emblem, to the SM and cadet cap badges, to our wings, etc.

The CyBorg is destroyed

This is just another move away from the Air Force and from our heritage...and unless someone knows more than I do, I have a feeling it's CAP doing it, not the Air Force, just as CAP killed the CSU, not the Air Force.

This is another step in the same mould as removing "USAF AUX" from our aircraft.  Yah sure, yah betcha, I know the "official" reasoning about providing assistance to LE.  Whether I believe it or not is another matter, and, I know, is irrelevant.

Until this page is changed or someone way up the food chain tells me directly not to, the symbology is still valid as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.af.mil/art/mediagallery.asp?galleryID=5187

I will not use that hideous looking new symbol on my business cards.  Period.

I will use this:

Quote from: Pylon on January 07, 2013, 08:19:53 PM
Yeah.  That needs to change.

When was the last time our input was solicited?

As far as the MAJCOM shield still being used, what we've got now is a bowdlerised imitation of a shield I wore proudly.  I know of people who still wear this one (the names will be kept secret to protect the "guilty").

I am not one for conspiracy theories.  However, I do not believe I am the only one seeing a negative trend, synergy, etc.

I'll say it openly: If we are being cut loose from the Air Force, please do it all at once, not by a thousand cuts.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Woodsy

Quote from: ctrossen on January 07, 2013, 09:22:19 PM

I just want to point out that what you all are referring to is not the Hap Arnold symbol. This is: http://www.trademark.af.mil/logos/hap/index.asp. That is the "official Air Force symbol".  :( It was designed by a private corporate identity firm, Siegel & Gale (italics mine). The Hap Arnold insignia was used after WWII; initially still authorized on the new uniform and continuing on flight gear until the early '60's at least. I have a pamphlet from basic training in 1975 with the Hap Arnold symbol on the back cover.

I did not know that.  Thanks for the heads up!