Uniform History Question - Phaseout dates

Started by Sonic, November 21, 2012, 02:12:23 AM

Sonic

I am trying to compile a list of obsolete CAP uniform items and their phaseout dates (dating back to the 1997 edition of 39-1) but I am having difficulty finding phaseout dates for some items.  If you remember or have a record of when these items were phased out by CAP, your assistance would be greatly appreciated.  I am looking for phaseout dates for the following items:

Orange flight suit
Ruffled blouse and crescent tab for women's mess dress
Maroon CAP tie
Maroon floppy bow
EMT/Paramedic patches on BDUs (not to be confused with the embroidered badges that are currently authorized)

SarDragon

Formal phase out dates can be difficult to determine, since publication in new editions of the 39-1 is a recent thing. In addition. some items fell out of use only because availability fell below critical mass. I think the orange flight suit may have been one of those. I have paper and scanned  copies of 39-1 all the way back to 1961, but don't have the time to look through them until after the weekend.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

The orange flight suit was for sale as a discontinued at em in the 99 Bookstore catalog, so presumably before then.
They are still worn in AKWG.

"That Others May Zoom"

CAP4117

Quote from: Sonic on November 21, 2012, 02:12:23 AM
Ruffled blouse and crescent tab for women's mess dress

Yikes! I'm glad that's gone.

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on November 21, 2012, 03:15:14 AM
The orange flight suit was for sale as a discontinued at em in the 99 Bookstore catalog, so presumably before then.
By who? While I was up there, no one wanted one. In the fall, it was more camo than anything purposefully designed. You could easily overlook someone on the groundwearing it. (Which is one reason why I think we should eliminate orange vests and go with the unnatural yellow-greenish color ANSI vests.)

Flying Pig

I recommended at work that we wear red or orange "coast guard" flight suits when we do SAR.  The room got very quiet ;D. We wear the standard green nomex.  But whats funny is we are always getting on people about having on natural colors when they get lost, then we turn around and search for them in the exact same colors !!!   If I go down #1 our helicopters are green (yeah.. lame for a SAR bird).  When the SAR is over we take them off and put our regular green ones back on.  Nobody liked the idea.

Eclipse

Quote from: Hawk200 on November 22, 2012, 05:50:37 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 21, 2012, 03:15:14 AM
By who? While I was up there, no one wanted one. In the fall, it was more camo than anything purposefully designed. You could easily overlook someone on the groundwearing it. (Which is one reason why I think we should eliminate orange vests and go with the unnatural yellow-greenish color ANSI vests.)

Aircrews - it's not unusual to see them in photos wearing blaze orange flightsuits or oversuits.  I think last time I checked it was also included in
their 39-1 supp.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

I think those are mostly poopy suits for over water. I doubt they are covered in a uniform supplement as they are most likely considered safety equipment .
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

PHall

Quote from: ol'fido on November 22, 2012, 10:56:13 PM
I think those are mostly poopy suits for over water. I doubt they are covered in a uniform supplement as they are most likely considered safety equipment .

Poopy suits are meant for overwater, but they do a real good job of keeping you warm too!

SarDragon

Quote from: PHall on November 23, 2012, 01:19:57 AM
Quote from: ol'fido on November 22, 2012, 10:56:13 PM

Poopy suits are meant for overwater, but they do a real good job of keeping you warm too!

Warm and smelly.  >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret