legalized marijuana ... what will CAP do ?

Started by manfredvonrichthofen, November 07, 2012, 02:31:42 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on November 16, 2012, 04:06:07 PM
Then it falls under the same category as all other legal drugs...alcohol, OTC meds, Prescription Meds.

IMSAFE.... if you are impaired don't be at CAP.  End of debate.

Pretty much, though "illegal" and "bad idea" are not interdependent. 

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Then it falls under the same catagory as all other legal drugs...alcohol, OTC meds, Perscription Meds.

IMSAFE.... if you are impared don't be at CAP.  End of debate.

That would be my understanding as well, but it seems a lot of people here are beating the "it WAS illegal, so it still SHOULD be, so 2B with you!".

I would just like to remind people that Alcohol was indeed illegal, and now it's not. I don't hear many here arguing to 2B anyone who ever touched a beer or five.

Garibaldi

Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 16, 2012, 04:24:36 PM
Then it falls under the same catagory as all other legal drugs...alcohol, OTC meds, Perscription Meds.

That would be my understanding as well, but it seems a lot of people here are beating the "it WAS illegal, so it still SHOULD be, so 2B with you!".

I would just like to remind people that Alcohol was indeed illegal, and now it's not. I don't hear many here arguing to 2B anyone who ever touched a beer or five.

It's the stigma. People associate pot with gangs and hippies and serious crime, smuggling by boat and airplane, killing each other over a few ounces, killing those who would stand in their way. Well, kind of like Capone and his ilk did in the olden days, although we have romanticized that period. I can't cite actual figures, but I keep hearing that alcohol and alcohol-related deaths are higher than those of pot users. I'm talking cirrhosis, brain damage, car wrecks, general jackassery, and heart disease. I'm not arguing FOR pot, not at all. I'm just saying that those who are arguing AGAINST it keep bringing up the images of drug runners with AK-47s and armored boats and gang wars and it being a gateway drug. Alcohol, at least wine, was created way back when because most of the water supply was very bad, from what I've heard. Jesus even turned water into wine, right? You take wine with Communion. Therefore, drinking wine is OK, but not to excess as it says in the Bible (no, I'm not a Bible thumper, just trying to make a point) but pot is not, according to popular conservative opinion.

It's still illegal to take alcohol and other controlled substances and re-sell them, like selling your Oxycontin prescription. Even if pot eventually becomes legal in most of the country, it'll still be illegal to sell, purchase, and use it in areas that it isn't legal to do so. We still have a problem with what I just said, the illegal sale and use of prescription meds. Perfectly legal to have and use with a doctor's note, illegal to possess and use without one.

I just woke up. Forgive me if I'm rambling or going over well-trod ground.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

tsrup

It's not that it WAS illegal, it's that it IS illegal.

If and when it becomes legal federally and is re classed as something other than schedule 1, then this discussion would be relavent.  However we are a federal organization with a federal charter.  And when that time comes, I'm sure the guidance will be not to be impaired while on CAP business.
Paramedic
hang-around.

Eclipse

Quote from: Garibaldi on November 16, 2012, 05:34:08 PMIt's the stigma. People associate pot with gangs and hippies and serious crime, smuggling by boat and airplane, killing each other over a few ounces, killing those who would stand in their way. Well, kind of like Capone and his ilk did in the olden days, although we have romanticized that period. I can't cite actual figures, but I keep hearing that alcohol and alcohol-related deaths are higher than those of pot users.

Today.  Make it legal and easier to get and that will change quickly.

It combines the "fun" of smoking with the long-term effects of a hallucinogen on the brain.  Two-Fer!

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on November 16, 2012, 05:43:12 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on November 16, 2012, 05:34:08 PMIt's the stigma. People associate pot with gangs and hippies and serious crime, smuggling by boat and airplane, killing each other over a few ounces, killing those who would stand in their way. Well, kind of like Capone and his ilk did in the olden days, although we have romanticized that period. I can't cite actual figures, but I keep hearing that alcohol and alcohol-related deaths are higher than those of pot users.

Today.  Make it legal and easier to get and that will change quickly.

It combines the "fun" of smoking with the long-term effects of a hallucinogen on the brain.  Two-Fer!

"Oh, it's not as bad as you make it out to be! It's all natural, man, natural. That alcohol, man, is more dangerous than pot, man"

It kills your brain, slowly, by degrees. If you're unlucky, someone you smoke up with has laced your bowl with something heinous like LSD or PCP, and you have weird flashbacks. Don't ask, you're not ready.  :angel:

Then, once the deleterious effects have manifested themselves, WE have to pick up the tab for your treatment because in all likelihood, you've smoked away whatever money you have and can't afford rehab.

Tax the snot out of it? People still pay $5 and up per pack for legal smokes. Even if you taxed it to 1000%, people would still pay for the "privilege".

Ah, what's the point?

Eclipse

Quote from: Garibaldi on November 16, 2012, 06:07:03 PMTax the snot out of it? People still pay $5 and up per pack for legal smokes. Even if you taxed it to 1000%, people would still pay for the "privilege".

I'm actually fine with this.  If people want to pay the "stupid tax", whatever.  The problem with the math is that it as you escalate the
taxes, it puts an increasingly heavy burden on a decreasing group, which means that eventually you lose that revenue stream with nothing to replace it.

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

...... and then we could use all the profits to fund programs to help people quit smoking marijuana! ::)

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: tsrup on November 16, 2012, 05:38:40 PM

It's not that it WAS illegal, it's that it IS illegal.

If and when it becomes legal federally and is re classed as something other than schedule 1, then this discussion would be relavent.  However we are a federal organization with a federal charter.  And when that time comes, I'm sure the guidance will be not to be impaired while on CAP business.

You are missing the original post lordmonar was responding to.

lordmonar

So....talking about the situation as it is today.

A member SM or Cadet who is "known" to be smoking pot on or off CAP time is subject to a 2b even if he is in COWG or WAWG.

IF.....IF it is ever legalized by the federal government then it would be controlled or dealt with like any other legal drug.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

Garibaldi

Quote from: lordmonar on November 16, 2012, 07:48:30 PM
So....talking about the situation as it is today.

A member SM or Cadet who is "known" to be smoking pot on or off CAP time is subject to a 2b even if he is in COWG or WAWG.

IF.....IF it is ever legalized by the federal government then it would be controlled or dealt with like any other legal drug.

I was going to take issue with "off time" but as I alluded to in a recent post on the matter, it does matter what you do in your off hours when it comes to partaking in legal or illegal substances.

ol'fido

So, basically, we all agree that stupid is stupid whether it's legal or not.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Eclipse

Quote from: ol'fido on November 16, 2012, 09:18:03 PM
So, basically, we all agree that stupid is stupid whether it's legal or not.

Momma always said "Stupid is as stupid does..."

"That Others May Zoom"

AirDX

To sum up this thread: How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

lordmonar

Quote from: AirDX on November 16, 2012, 10:38:39 PM
To sum up this thread: How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
That's easy....measure a Angles's butt and then the head of a pin.....divide one into the other....QED.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RRLE

Quote from: lordmonar on November 16, 2012, 07:48:30 PM

That "known" is the problem. Who is the knowing one and how do they 'know'? What proof do they have? The 'everybody knows X is a pot head' shouldn't be good enough - but too often it is - just a handy way to get rid of someone 'they' don't want to have around.

If there is no conviction under the criminal code there is no proof anything illegal has occurred. I would include under 'conviction' the various and sundry diversion programs for first-time, youthful offenders etc.

Luis R. Ramos

So a member shows up at a meeting tipsy. You help him back to his car. You see an open can of beer. He smells of alcohol. Yet you cannot say he has been drinking?

In the same manner, you see a person in a different mood. You see the cigarettes. He/she reeks of MJ. You cannot tell he/she has been smoking weed?

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Garibaldi

Quote from: flyer333555 on November 17, 2012, 04:52:00 AM
So a member shows up at a meeting tipsy. You help him back to his car. You see an open can of beer. He smells of alcohol. Yet you cannot say he has been drinking?

Open container law. Most cops would administer a field sobriety test, then arrest the induhvidual. And why on earth would you help him back to HIS car?

In the same manner, you see a person in a different mood. You see the cigarettes. He/she reeks of MJ. You cannot tell he/she has been smoking weed?

Flyer

Joints or cigarettes? Contact high and smelly clothes from being in the same room as someone smoking up? Circumstantial evidence on this one, in my opinion.

Luis R. Ramos

Not necessarily help him to his car, but there may be several reasons.

Ensure it is locked... Get something of value out. To sleep it off.

I did not say he had the ignition key, just that he/she is helped back to the car.

Anyway, do not throw smoke around the issue. You know when someone has been smoking and/or drinking. So can you tell with MJ.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer