Main Menu

Jetboil alternative?

Started by Eclipse, September 20, 2012, 03:08:43 AM

Eclipse

We all know how awesome (and a bit pricey) the Jetboil is.

http://www.jetboil.com/

Has anyone found an alternative?  Maybe for use in less austere conditions, but still where power is an issue?
And perhaps something airline friendly?

The good 'ol immersion heater is an obvious, and potentially dangerous choice.

I'm looking more for something to crank some hot water in an ICP, show floor, vehicle, to use with either Via or
more likely my Aeropress.

A self-heating coffee cup might do the trick, but most of what I see are either just warmers, prototypes or
kludges.

"That Others May Zoom"

RRLE

Thrashed

I use the Trangia mini stove. Works great.

Save the triangle thingy

Spaceman3750

Something like this should to the trick for just boiling water: http://compare.ebay.com/like/150900814926var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

I used to have a smaller one of a different brand that could really boil water quick - used it when I lived in a dorm and couldn't have an open heating element.

Then again, you could just get over your fancy french press coffee and use a coffee maker like everyone else >:D. The Kerigs are nice :).

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

NIN

Show floor. You clearly want the attention of the fire marshal.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Critical AOA

Quote from: Eclipse on September 20, 2012, 03:08:43 AM
And perhaps something airline friendly?

I guess you don't like the airline coffee much.  Just pick up a large Starbucks on your way through the terminal.  No need to brew your own in flight.

Oh BTW, airline friendly is an oxymoron... or is that friendly airline?
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

MIKE

Do they still make those self heating coffees?  IIRC they were salt activated or something.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

Airline friendly as in bringing on board.  Jet boil fuel is verboten, and unless you clean out and remove all the fumes.

I think the auto heating coffees were recalled because of explosions.

"That Others May Zoom"

johnnyb47

Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Al Sayre

Quote from: Eclipse on September 20, 2012, 03:51:58 PM
Airline friendly as in bringing on board.  Jet boil fuel is verboten, and unless you clean out and remove all the fumes.

I think the auto heating coffees were recalled because of explosions.

So I guess a block of C-4 is out?  Worked ok for the Mythbusters...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

My guess would be that I'd have "issues" trying to Clooney through the security lines.

"That Others May Zoom"

SPD6696

These may or may not be airline friendly (for luggage purposes).  And, of course, using on a showroom floor, or inside a vehicle could get sketchy.  But, I've used them in very austere conditions, and they work.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/100-military-style-solid-fuel-tabs.aspx?a=868566

If you are going to be on a showroom floor, why would there be no power?  Use any number of electrical devices.  In a vehicle?  Step outside, bust out your esbit stove and tabs, and go for it.

Remember.  "The mission drives the gear."  If you are going to be caveman, open flame to heat water for Via is not an issue.  If you are going to be at a tradeshow, maybe you should invest in a Kuerig coffee maker, a bunch of coffee packets, and some paper cups, and show your potential customers that you are not a loser.
"You are
  What you do
  When it counts." - Steakley, "Armor"

"If you can't do something smart, do something right."