Proper (Appropriate) Uniform for Senior Member Honor Guard

Started by BSU Commander, September 10, 2012, 12:34:46 AM

BSU Commander

I command a Senior Squadron and plan to have my members march in local parades and serve in other ceremonial capacities (of course with the approval of my Wing Commander).  During my tenure as a Cadet Squadron Commander many years ago, I recall that SM are not allowed to wear items such as citation cords, white belts, etc. I definitely have no desire to force my members to wear a beret (so headgear is not in question) but would like to hear from those of you who have either served-in or seen ceremonial units totally comprised of CAP Officers.  My goal is to fully-comply with 39-1 but I've been unable to find anything other than options for cadets.

Thanks to all!

AngelWings

What type of parade are you being involved with? The most basic formal uniform or utility uniform may be the most appropiate considering the circumstances. I'd focus (especially if your unit is comprised of people with no true D&C experience) on the marching.

I've seen a few parades including officers, and they wore the prescribed UOD. SM's are not allowed to perform such duties that an Honor Guard would perform as stated by CAPP 52-8
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcadets.ndcap.us%2FJDCLE%2Fforms%2Fcapp52-8.pdf&ei=6DdNUOCWJq-50QHd7oCADQ&usg=AFQjCNE8ye_j9lM5WWP17gvY5iozOEU4Jg

lordmonar

Quote from: BSU Commander on September 10, 2012, 12:34:46 AM
I command a Senior Squadron and plan to have my members march in local parades and serve in other ceremonial capacities (of course with the approval of my Wing Commander).  During my tenure as a Cadet Squadron Commander many years ago, I recall that SM are not allowed to wear items such as citation cords, white belts, etc. I definitely have no desire to force my members to wear a beret (so headgear is not in question) but would like to hear from those of you who have either served-in or seen ceremonial units totally comprised of CAP Officers.  My goal is to fully-comply with 39-1 but I've been unable to find anything other than options for cadets.

Thanks to all!
All of those thing are NOT forbidden to Senior Memembers.

Simply specify the unfiorm send it up to wing for approval.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Sapper168

Hey BSU Commander are you actually meaning honor guard or do you mean color guard? ???
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

AngelWings

Quote from: lordmonar on September 10, 2012, 02:22:11 AM
Quote from: BSU Commander on September 10, 2012, 12:34:46 AM

Thanks to all!
All of those thing are NOT forbidden to Senior Memembers.

Simply specify the unfiorm send it up to wing for approval.
When I say this, I do mean the tone to be respectful and curious, not negative or disrespectful. Could you explain to me the regulation? I might have misconcepted a few parts of it and would like to be giving accurate info. I don't want to discourage anyone from doing something like this if they are permitted to.

lordmonar

A unit color guard...not a unit honor guard....can wear anything the wing commander approves.  No where does it say that senior members are not permitted EVER to wear berets, pistol belts, or shoulder cords.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

AngelWings

Quote from: lordmonar on September 10, 2012, 02:30:26 AM
A unit color guard...not a unit honor guard....can wear anything the wing commander approves.  No where does it say that senior members are not permitted EVER to wear berets, pistol belts, or shoulder cords.
I see where I went wrong now. I mixed up the term color guard and honor guard. Thank you, sir  :)

BSU Commander

Thanks to all responders.
The SM assigned to our Unit (primarily18-20 year old, Flight Officer, Aviation Science majors) will perform both Color Guard duties and serve as "standard drill" marching units. Absolutely nothing fancy, merely a presence that supports community service & support activities for the campus and local community as our University has no R.O.T.C. unit. Of course, they will not compete in any events (CAP or otherwise) and will merely provide a "military-like" presence in accordance with all existing regulations.

Lordmonor; I especially thank you because I was unable to find any statement in a regulation that specified appropriate uniforms for Senior Members performing the duties I described.

R. A. McManus, EdD
Lt Col, CAP
Commander,
Bridgewater State University Senior Squadron
NER MA-005

sandman

Thought I'd dig a bit for an appropriate topic this Memorial day:
Anyone seen a similar uniform for senior members in an Honor Guard (note hat badge)?
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

Eclipse

My suggestion would be - wear the service dress with wheel cap and move on.

There's no reason to get wrapped up in ascots, chin straps, etc., etc. 

You'll look impressive enough if you can just march in step and respect the colors.

"That Others May Zoom"

ColonelJack

Quote from: sandman on May 27, 2013, 10:04:16 PM
Thought I'd dig a bit for an appropriate topic this Memorial day:
Anyone seen a similar uniform for senior members in an Honor Guard (note hat badge)?

The SM CMSgt shouldn't be wearing a cadet officer hat badge.  That is never appropriate for anyone except a cadet officer (or cadet member of the honor guard).  He should be wearing a Senior Member hat badge; preferably (since he is an NCO) his hat badge should be inside a ring.

Other than that, it's a pretty darned good picture.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Eclipse

Wow - good catch.

There's no senior member NCO device for the wheel cap, all seniors wear the same one.

He should lose the cord, too, unless it's some USAF thing he's approved to wear through that channel, and
even then I'd be surprised if it's approved for CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

While shoulder cords are approved to members of the Air Force permorming in certain capacities (student leader, honor guard, aide, etc.), these are not permanent awards and cannot be worn when they're no longer performing such duties. These are usually only worn by enlisted personnel with a few exceptions (general aides come to mind). In CAP, however, shoulder cords are only approved for cadets to wear.

The reason the honor guard uniform prescribes the cadet officer device for the service cap is because this uniform is intended for cadets only. While there's not specific prohibition in CAPM 39-1, all the pictures and example are of cadets. Honor Guard and Color Guard duties are usually performed by cadets and CAPM 39-1 was written to reflect that. It's actually a bit unusual for senior members to participate in this kind of activities since drill and ceremonies are not part of the senior program, but the cadet programs. That's why the Honor Guard Program pamphlet (CAPP 52-8) is part of the 52 series (Cadet Programs).

ol'fido

Quote from: Eclipse on May 27, 2013, 10:54:35 PM
Wow - good catch.

There's no senior member NCO device for the wheel cap, all seniors wear the same one.

He should lose the cord, too, unless it's some USAF thing he's approved to wear through that channel, and
I actually have a SMNCO cap device in my collection.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Ratatouille

Quote from: ol'fido on May 27, 2013, 11:45:03 PM
Wow - good catch.

Sir, care to post a picture of it for those of us who haven't seen one?

Critical AOA

Which of the three CAP missions would a senior honor or color guard fulfill?   Emergency Services?  Aerospace Education?   Cadet Program?
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

NIN

Quote from: BSU Commander on September 12, 2012, 05:50:19 PM
Thanks to all responders.
The SM assigned to our Unit (primarily18-20 year old, Flight Officer, Aviation Science majors) will perform both Color Guard duties and serve as "standard drill" marching units. Absolutely nothing fancy, merely a presence that supports community service & support activities for the campus and local community as our University has no R.O.T.C. unit. Of course, they will not compete in any events (CAP or otherwise) and will merely provide a "military-like" presence in accordance with all existing regulations.

Lordmonor; I especially thank you because I was unable to find any statement in a regulation that specified appropriate uniforms for Senior Members performing the duties I described.

R. A. McManus, EdD
Lt Col, CAP
Commander,
Bridgewater State University Senior Squadron
NER MA-005

Honestly, Colonel, you could probably get away with "normal service dress" kinds of uniforms and have it be perfectly OK. As a benefit: it's the uniform your people need to wear frequently anyway and you don't have to go out and chase down expensive "accouterments" that only get worn as a "one-off" kind of thing.

One of your folks down there at Bridgewater State, SM Nick Schaper, is one of my former cadets. He's a good troop, but don't let him lead you astray! :)

EDIT: Fixed my Engrish at the behest of one of our Grammar Nazis :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

ol'fido

Quote from: Ratatouille on May 28, 2013, 10:46:47 PM
Quote from: ol'fido on May 27, 2013, 11:45:03 PM
Wow - good catch.

Sir, care to post a picture of it for those of us who haven't seen one?
I'll have to dig around for it.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Garibaldi

If it's the cap device that's inside a circle I have one. I think NIN will beat me to it though. It's in my new place and that's 45 minutes away.

Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Flying Pig

The senior member honor guard uniform comes complete with a 32in waist.  It can be purchased at Vanguard. >:D