Award for outgoing Squadron Commander

Started by Private Investigator, August 02, 2012, 09:24:04 AM

Private Investigator

What award do you recommend for a Squadron Commander completing a three year tour?

I am thinking the standard is a Com Com but someone mentioned in his previous Wing they did Meritorious Service Awards. But I seriously doubt that.

Any thoughts?

flyboy53

Usually it's nothing higher than a Commander's Commendation, but its really what ever is the tradition of your wing. Wings with groups may prefer Achievement Awards because the Group Commander is the level of approval authority. I'd check with your wing personnel people, especially if they like to reserve such awards as commendations presented at wing conferences.

bosshawk

I would suggest that the level of award be comsurate with his/her level of performance.  Too often, when I was active in CAP, I saw Sq Commanders and even Group Commanders go quietly into the night with not even a "thank you" from higher ups.

For a normal, uneventful tour as a Sq CC, it seems to me that a Meriltorious Service Award would be appropriate.  Being a Sq Commander is not easy, requires considerable time and effort and should be rewarded appropriately.  I happen to know, I was one and I didn't get a loud sneeze from my Group CC.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Майор Хаткевич

At our change of command the outgoing commander received an achievement ribbon from the group commander.

MSG Mac

When I was a commander in MAWG, I was promised a MSA-never got it. In Florida Wing the Group CC brought a CC for the incoming Commander (which I had initiated, I again got nothing for being a SQ/CC.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

jeders

The standard in my squadron is that key staffers (those actually doing a job and not just assigned as an assistant to the assistant) get an Achievement Award at the end of the commanders tour. The Commander gets a Comm Comm.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

AngelWings

Quote from: MSG Mac on August 02, 2012, 08:00:53 PM
When I was a commander in MAWG, I was promised a MSA-never got it. In Florida Wing the Group CC brought a CC for the incoming Commander (which I had initiated, I again got nothing for being a SQ/CC.
I apologize, sir. That's not fair at all, especially considering the fact that many SQ/CC's work hard and some even put their own life on hold for CAP.

PHall

What do you do for a Squadron Commander who survived their tour? You throw them a party to celebrate them getting their life back! :clap:

LGM30GMCC

Were I king for a day...

I would get rid of the command ribbon (which I still need to remember to put on my rack. Huh.) And have all current commanders (Squadron, Group, Wing, and Region) wear the command insignia above the nameplate. The same one. No star. Upon successful completion of tour, (of at least 6 months long) they would wear the badge below the nameplate unless they became commanders again.

It is appropriate for an outgoing commander, unless they are getting fired, to get some kind of commendation. Personally I think Achievement Award is nearly insulting to do to someone. Personally, I believe an MSA is warranted as they are ultimately responsible for the success of the squadron which has an impact on the wing (etc etc). Truthfully, someone on the echelon above them should be putting in the effort to write the award. CAP, as a whole, tends to be terrible about writing citations and awarding its members for hard service.

Even just 'surviving', unless they are getting fired, a Commander's Comm would be the lowest I would go, MSA would be the standard, and if they did something amazing (Went from 10 cadets to 50 active or something and it's a true and positive program) then an ESA would not be out of the question.

That's my two cents.

Garibaldi

Quote from: PHall on August 03, 2012, 12:16:20 AM
What do you do for a Squadron Commander who survived their tour? You throw them a party to celebrate them getting their life back! :clap:

We usually have cake. Sometimes we even give him a picture of what it looked like before we cut it. Occasionally, he gets a piece.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

adamblank

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on August 03, 2012, 12:25:17 AM
Were I king for a day...

I would get rid of the command ribbon (which I still need to remember to put on my rack. Huh.) And have all current commanders (Squadron, Group, Wing, and Region) wear the command insignia above the nameplate. The same one. No star. Upon successful completion of tour, (of at least 6 months long) they would wear the badge below the nameplate unless they became commanders again.

It is appropriate for an outgoing commander, unless they are getting fired, to get some kind of commendation. Personally I think Achievement Award is nearly insulting to do to someone. Personally, I believe an MSA is warranted as they are ultimately responsible for the success of the squadron which has an impact on the wing (etc etc). Truthfully, someone on the echelon above them should be putting in the effort to write the award. CAP, as a whole, tends to be terrible about writing citations and awarding its members for hard service.

Even just 'surviving', unless they are getting fired, a Commander's Comm would be the lowest I would go, MSA would be the standard, and if they did something amazing (Went from 10 cadets to 50 active or something and it's a true and positive program) then an ESA would not be out of the question.

That's my two cents.

+1
Adam Brandao

Flying Pig

I was awarded a Commanders Commendation and we had a nice change of command ceremony and a very nicely done catered dinner at the Sq.  During that same ceremony I also awarded a couple of my staff members who had stuck it out for the long haul with one or to Commanders Comms and an Achievement Medal. 

Private Investigator

Were I king for a day...

That's my two cents.

I concur on the Command Insignia. Everyone recognizes it as you having completed a tour or a current Commander. The Command ribbon is just lost in the fruit salad as the 'blue' service ribbon.

Now if we are talking MSA for a Squadron Commander what then for a Group Commander or a Wing Commander?   :clap:

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Private Investigator on August 04, 2012, 07:57:30 PM
Were I king for a day...

That's my two cents.

I concur on the Command Insignia. Everyone recognizes it as you having completed a tour or a current Commander. The Command ribbon is just lost in the fruit salad as the 'blue' service ribbon.

Now if we are talking MSA for a Squadron Commander what then for a Group Commander or a Wing Commander?   :clap:

wing commanders usually get a DAM at the end of their tour.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Private Investigator

I copy Distinguish Service Medal for the Wing King but some Wings are really big and others are really small.

So in small Wings is the Wing King just a prince?   ;)

LGM30GMCC

I would say that in many ways the commanders of each wing face different and equally difficult challenges.

Large Numbers: Organizing, training, equipping large numbers can be quite challenging, but they also are more likely to have the benefit of group commanders to reduce the span of control issues and more money to fund other things. Also greater pool of people to choose for key staff positions to improve those types of issues.

Large in Size: Geographically challenging to visit squadrons or other subordinate units.

Small in Size: Potential issues of locations and resources within the wing to accomplish goals. May have to go out of state requiring different coordination to carry out missions on 'non home territory.'

Small in numbers: Difficulty in finding staff members for key billets. Difficult to have critical mass in each unit to ensure missions are carried out effectively without burning folks out.

They are also all currently responsible for looking at national impact of decisions and the like regardless of where they come from.

Since CAP only has the 5 levels of commendation, as opposed to the USAF...more...I think the answer comes partly from the wording of 39-3 itself.

ESA - "However, the duty should carry the ultimate  responsibility for the successful operation of a region, wing, or major project within the region or  wing.  The discharge of such duty must involve the acceptance and fulfillment of the obligation so as  to greatly benefit the wing or region and CAP" I would say running a group could meet those criteria. Were I a region commander and a 120 came across my desk and showed your service had greatly benefited the wing, and the Wing/CC had signed off on such, then yeah, why not? If not...well let's look down one..

MSA - "Outstanding achievement or meritorious service rendered  specifically on behalf of CAP.  Superior performance of normal duties does not, in itself, constitute  automatic justification for the Meritorious Service Award.  Awards should be restricted to the  recognition of achievements and services which are clearly outstanding and unmistakably  exceptional when compared to similar achievements and accomplishments of personnel of like rank and responsibilities. In instances where many individuals are affiliated with an exceptionally  successful program, project, or mission, the Meritorious Service Award should be awarded to the  relatively few individuals whose contributions clearly stand out from the others and who have contributed most to the success of the program." Running a group could certainly match that...but if you're 'just surviving' and not helping the group get better, then I might look lower at Commander's Comm for at least stepping up and giving it your best. If you didn't give it your best...now I'm going to start raising an eyebrow.

If you ran your command into the ground, and for some reason I'm seeing that on a 120 or whatever, I am not only going to question why you are up for an award at all, but why your commander let it go on as long as they did. So I'm going to be holding them at least partly responsible as well.

I believe we do not hold our commander's accountable enough because we too often get into the mentality of 'Well they just stepped up' or 'No one else would do it.' I am very much against appointing those types of commanders to command because there is a good chance they won't perform the job to a degree that it needs to be performed. How you find the solution to that...well that's why it's difficult being a commander at higher echelons, you have to deal with questions like that. There's no one answer to that.

Eclipse

The Achievement Award is wholly appropriate for a unit CC's successful completion of his tour. 

Even in wings without Groups, the intention of the Ach is for activities or participation with a unit / group-level scope.  Rarely do local units
have an impact which exceeds that - they aren't supposed to by design. 

Anything above a Comm-Comm should be reserved for remarkable service above and beyond your peers - meaning everyone is charged with
keeping the lights on and members active, what did you do that was different in an outstanding manner?

Maybe you increased the membership 200%, served for 15 years, received SoM and SoD 5 years running, etc., etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

My former Group CC would give outgoing commanders a Command Service mini-medal in a shadow box style of frame along with a little trophy type placard below it with basically their name, rank, the unit's name and charter #, and dates of service. 8)
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Eclipse

Quote from: ol'fido on August 06, 2012, 03:46:14 AM
My former Group CC would give outgoing commanders a Command Service mini-medal in a shadow box style of frame along with a little trophy type placard below it with basically their name, rank, the unit's name and charter #, and dates of service. 8)

Very nice.

I received a framed enamel CAP insignia and the unit coin(s) along with the same type of placard, this was from the members, which made it mean that much more.

"That Others May Zoom"

PWK-GT

As this is a topic only a week old for me, I'll weigh in. Having completed my tour as CC, I received the following:

From the Group CC (and my new boss): An Achievement Ribbon, and some restaurant gift cards.

From my Squadron: A matted hi-res Squadron insignia with full signatures and personalization; a custom ball cap denoting my 'time served'; a coffee mug; a meal and adult beverage with about 12 of the staff (and they picked up my tab!); a standing 'O' at the ceremony; and tons of personal well-wishes from people whom I care about.

While all was appreciated, the last two were what mattered the most. The rest was just gravy.

No ribbon can represent that.
"Is it Friday yet"