College Credit for AFIADL 13 & other AFIADL courses

Started by DrJbdm, August 02, 2012, 07:46:07 AM

DrJbdm

Has anyone had any success in having their college or University put the college recommendation for the AFIADL-13 (the old ECI-13) on their college transcript?

The American Council on Education (ACE) has recommended that the CAP Officer Correspondence Course (AFIADL-13) be given the following college credits (2 Upper Level Semester Hours in Military History, 1 Lower Level Semester Hour in Leadership and 2 Lower Level Semester Hours in Communications.)

As with all transfer credits, it is up to the receiving college or University as to whether or not they will accept the credit. In my case my school will accept all recommendations for credit by ACE.

My question is, how did you get your college to accept the credit? ACE does not transcript military courses (this is a military course as defined by ACE), My University said I should check with the Community College of the Air Force for a transcript, but I'm pretty sure they do not transcript CAP courses or PME officer courses such as SOS or ACSC.  Any thoughts?

On my academic advisers advise I sent the registers office a copy of the certificate, the post card they send you stating you passed  that has your score results, & a copy of the ACE credit recommendation from the ACE website. I have yet to hear anything back from the registers office.

Woodsy

Not a chance at Florida...  Adviser told me to talk to the veteran's affairs office, they told me to go join the real military... 

BillB

The Community College of the Air Force does NOT issue transcripts for CAP courses. The reason they give is that CAP members are not enlisted/NCO personnel. But AFIADL does issue a transcript. In Florida, many community Colleges will accept the ACE recommendation for credit, but the States Universities do not. Once on a local Community College trasnscript, the Universities will accept it, normally as "elective" courses.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

flyboy53

It shouldn't matter about a CCAF transcript, because the certificate and the score cards should be all that's necessary for a college registrar to grant credit for course completion.

Back in the 70s, when I was in college, one of my class mates was a guy who retired from the Air Force as a major and a KC-135 pilot. He entered the AF as an aviation cadet without any college, but completed all the required PME during his career. I remember that he took all of his various course diplomas to the Registrar's Office and accumulated 60+ semester hours of college credit that was applied to the bachelor's degree in education that he needed to start his new career.

I think news of the college credit awarded for ECI-13 a nice reward for completion of that course. If you don't have a certificate, call them to see what will be necessary to receive it.

GroundHawg

I recieved credit for them via ACE. Set up your ACE account, submit your documentation, and ACE will put it on their transcipt along with credit recomendations to universities. You then submit the ACE transcript to your college/university of choice and they will decide whether or not they will give you equivalency.
Another option if you go to a paticularly snitty school for non-traditional credits is to submit your ACE transcript to Thomas Edison State College, Charter Oak, or Excelcior. They all offer a transcripting service, and are all regionally accredited. Once you get them on a transcript from them, you then can submit to pretty much any college or university with no drama.

This website was a real help to me. I earned some extra degrees online to supplement my degree from a "brick and mortar" school. I recieved a ton of credits for my FEMA courses, clep, military, ace, and NFA.

http://www.degreeforum.net/

I hope this helps you out.  :D

Woodsy

Too bad there's not a way to get credit for those FEMA EMI courses without paying for the credits from that Fredrick Community College...  Kinda seems like it should be illegal...  "Send us 78 bucks a credit hour and we'll convert your already complete FEMA courses to college credit..." 

spacecommand

Someone's got to make money.

BTW CLEP exams are great, pay $75 and if you know your stuff, test yourself out of having to take a class that costs 5-10x as much.

jimmydeanno

That's an interesting division of credit hours.  I'm not sure that it would be of much practical use, really.  Aren't most courses 3 credit hours, so what would a 2 credit hour credit give you?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

GroundHawg

Quote from: Woodsy on August 02, 2012, 04:57:57 PM
Too bad there's not a way to get credit for those FEMA EMI courses without paying for the credits from that Fredrick Community College...  Kinda seems like it should be illegal...  "Send us 78 bucks a credit hour and we'll convert your already complete FEMA courses to college credit..."

There is. I just explained how above. I got 48 credit hours all from FEMA EMI through Thomas Edison State College for $250. Please go to the link I posted and read though some of their posts and you will see how easy it is.

GroundHawg

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 02, 2012, 05:21:38 PM
That's an interesting division of credit hours.  I'm not sure that it would be of much practical use, really.  Aren't most courses 3 credit hours, so what would a 2 credit hour credit give you?

Mine I used for the free electives that I needed for my BSM. Most of my electives were 1 and 2 credit hour blocks from ACE or FEMA. Saved alot of money and time in a classroom.

DrJbdm

I got an email from ACE saying since it was a military course they could not put it on a transcript. Interesting that you got them to do it, I may have to ask them again. I need to email Air Univeristy and see if they have can send a transcript to my school.

On FEMAs, here are your options. Both Thomas Edison State College & Charter Oak State College accept raw FEMA credits without being converted by Fredrick's. I can't speak for Thomas Edison, but I'm sure the pricing and procedure is probably pretty close.

At Charter Oak State College, you would apply, pay the $70 application fee, have all your transcripts sent over and they would evualate all your credits towards a degree plan. Then, pay the semester fee to enroll, I think it's around. $250.  COSC will create a transcript of all your credits. Simply either stay at COSC for a low cost, regionally accredited degree from a respectable state school or transfer with your credits intact. It is a cheaper option then going to Fredrick's.

You can get more info at www.degreeforum.com

AirDX

I got 6 upper division credits from Excelsior for SOS.  ACE would not put it on my transcript, same as the folks above.  Excelsior just had me submit a transcript from AU, and voila, I got the credits.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

DrJbdm

I guess I need to contact AU about a transcript. Did they send the transcript into Excelsior directly? AirDX, how did the credits fall within your degree plan? did they go in to free electives or liberal arts or did they fulfill any of your GenEd requirements?

This is a great benefit of AU courses for CAP members, college credit. Unfortunately, CAP was too nearsighted and didn't see the big picture when they eliminated ECI-13. That was an easy course that gave 5 free college credit hours. Worth its weight in gold with todays rising tuition costs.

AirDX

Quote from: DrJbdm on August 03, 2012, 07:38:11 AM
I guess I need to contact AU about a transcript. Did they send the transcript into Excelsior directly? AirDX, how did the credits fall within your degree plan? did they go in to free electives or liberal arts or did they fulfill any of your GenEd requirements?

This is a great benefit of AU courses for CAP members, college credit. Unfortunately, CAP was too nearsighted and didn't see the big picture when they eliminated ECI-13. That was an easy course that gave 5 free college credit hours. Worth its weight in gold with todays rising tuition costs.

AU sent the transcript directly to Excelsior.  Somewhere on the AU pages there's a procedure to follow for that.  The credits fell in the applied professional category.  3 fell in one of the upper level depth requirements, management, and 3 as an upper level elective.

Unfortunately you now need a bachelors to take SOS.  I got in about 6 months ahead of that.  Saved me about $2200 in tuition. 

I'll probably do ACSC next summer.  That can save you some serious time and $$$ if you're working on a masters in the right area.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

DrJbdm

I'm actually working on a second bachelors degree, Im good for SOS or ACSC as the requirements currently are. ACSC would work nicely to save a ton of money on the right masters program, if I'm not mistaken that course alone is worth 12hrs of graduate credit. It's not surprising AU changed their policy to require a bachelors degree, SOS was always considered to be a Post-Bac program anyway. Oh well...

Some Masters programs will let you transfer 12hrs in as part of a concentration of study. Huge $$$$ saver!!

I went to the AU website and found the transcript request form which I emailed to student services.  Thanks for the help.

bosshawk

Perhaps I need to look into what the Mililtary Intelligence Officers Advanced Course(same level as SOS), Army Command and General Staff College and the Air War College could get me.

I already have a Masters from Johns Hopkins and 45 hours beyond a Masters.  Who knows, might become Doctor Reed.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SarDragon

Quote from: flyguync on August 03, 2012, 08:56:29 PM
Has anyone tried to get credit off of CAP PD courses?
http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/CAP_Professional_Development_Course_592A4F141DCE9.pdf

That's what this whole thread is about. Or were you referring to PD stuff that's not listed in your cite?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DrJbdm

Quote from: flyguync on August 03, 2012, 08:56:29 PM
Has anyone tried to get credit off of CAP PD courses?
http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/CAP_Professional_Development_Course_592A4F141DCE9.pdf

CAP would have to have each of these courses evaluated for credit recommendation by the American Council on Education (ACE). It is an expensive undertaking, but one that would be very beneficial for all CAP members. It is doubtful that ACE would recommend credit for all the courses, but you never know until you try. Currently only the ECI-13 was recommended for credit and that was because the Air Force took care of it.

You might still be able to get college for these courses, but you would probably have to use something like portfolio assessment to gain the credit. Essentially, you show that thru this course, you learned the same thing as if you would have sat thru the same college course for a semester or two. If you can, you get the credit.