Air Force Outstanding Unit Award

Started by AirDX, July 27, 2012, 09:43:07 PM

GroundHawg

We awarded USAF Occupational Badges to the Navy and Coast Guard guys as well as the civilians that worked with us in the aerial ports in Iraq, and we all recieved the JMUC and the AFMUC.  I know that the civilian air force historians are awarded the historian occupational badge as well as any unit awards and the civilian awards as well. I dont see why you couldnt wear it. The reg implies/hints/assumes that you would be a military member recieving the award, but never states implicitly that you MUST be a military member to wear earned military awards.

Hawk200

Quote from: GroundHawg on July 29, 2012, 09:06:36 PM
We awarded USAF Occupational Badges to the Navy and Coast Guard guys as well as the civilians that worked with us in the aerial ports in Iraq, and we all recieved the JMUC and the AFMUC.I know that the civilian air force historians are awarded the historian occupational badge as well as any unit awards and the civilian awards as well
More precedent to justify allowing it.

Quote from: GroundHawg on July 29, 2012, 09:06:36 PMThe reg implies/hints/assumes that you would be a military member recieving the award, but never states implicitly that you MUST be a military member to wear earned military awards.
I will agree with the first part, it's pretty obvious that the DAF civilians possess not "equal" but the exact same qualifications as their counterparts in uniform. The second part I disagree with, but that's probably based on personal interpretation of the wording in the pub.

I think a few words inserted in that pub would cover it: "or to" inserted between "in" and "any." After "United States" insert "to include civilian service." Civilian awards have been authorized before, although it doesn't seem like it was written down anywhere.

All in all, I think we should acknowlege any service to this country by allowing wear of those decorations on CAP uniforms (to include the aviator combination.)