Cadet Advisory Council

Started by Dylan Keetle, July 22, 2012, 06:24:38 AM

Dylan Keetle

I have a question. I a m currently a CAC Chairman for group 3 CAWG. How would you get your CAC more motivated? I recently took over Chairman and my squadrons are not motivated. I have a lot of trouble getting them to show up to meetings. I have not had a quorum in 3 months which is when I took over. I send emails often and make phone calls after my emails. I have a meeting every month alternating in person and phone conference. If you have any advice please give it. I will highly appreciate it. 
Dylan Keetle, C/CMSgt., CAP
CAC Chairman Group 3

RADIOMAN015

Not sure how close your units are together and the age of the cadets (e.g. they drive) BUT you might consider having telephone conference/internet type meetings follow up by emails.   Perhaps the Group or your squadron IT Officer could help you set this up.

With the cost of gasoline and just members available time, this might be a good way to hold most of your meetings.

Oops, sorry I missed part of your posting about the telephone conference calls.   Perhaps you should talk with your wing cadet representative or other cadet group representatives to see what they are doing differently.
RM

AngelWings

Quote from: Dylan Keetle on July 22, 2012, 06:24:38 AM
I have a question. I a m currently a CAC Chairman for group 3 CAWG. How would you get your CAC more motivated? I recently took over Chairman and my squadrons are not motivated. I have a lot of trouble getting them to show up to meetings. I have not had a quorum in 3 months which is when I took over. I send emails often and make phone calls after my emails. I have a meeting every month alternating in person and phone conference. If you have any advice please give it. I will highly appreciate it.
Ask for approval for removal of members who do not attend regularly without a real reason. In my wing, we've made the punishment that cadets will not be awarded CAC ribbons if they miss too many meetings and the second they go to wing to apply for an NCSA, they will have that as a huge negative strike against them. I've noticed most cadets join for the cord and ribbon, not for the representation of their squadrons.

Eclipse

If the only reason they are participating is the ribbon, yo might as well not bother.

To the OP:
Motivating the CAC, considering their "advisory" status in situations where little "advice" is sought (or needed, frankly), has been an
ongoing challenge for CAP.  One which few wings, or even NHQ have(has) been able to figure our to much success.

If you search this board, you will see you are not alone, and there is little that has been brought forth as a "solution".  It's
difficult enough to get cadets to participate regularly in the day-to-day program, let alone something as subjective as
an advisory council, which will also offer additional hurdle of logistics and motivation.

"That Others May Zoom"

PA Guy

OP,

You are in a tough spot. The first thing you have to do is get the support of your Group CC. If he supports you he can can work with the Sqdn CCs.  Then you have to be realistic in your goals.  Instead of concentrationg on silly projects like new ribbons or changing the whole cadet program involve yourself in things like retention, safety etc.  Talk to your Wing CAC rep to tie your agenda with their agenda. Cades DO have a lot to contribute with their concerns and thoughts on THEIR program.