Pilots watching the show.......

Started by Flying Pig, July 20, 2012, 03:52:19 PM

Flying Pig

I need some CRM data.  In our helicopters we have a screen on the observers side that is a mapping system and FLIR screen.  In an MD500 the crew sits fairly close together that if the pilot needs to see something on the screen he can just look over and see the monitor.   But I believe the pilot needs to fly the aircraft, not get hung up on watching a monitor.  Especially at night, on NVGs when the observer is watching the FLIR screen.  like in a G1000, the pilot can easily get caught up watching the show in addition to helping assist with the search and easily degrade into not flying the aircraft.   Now 2 of our 3 pilots (me being the hold out) now want one of those monitors mounted in front of them also so they can have a monitor to watch also.  Holy crap..... am I the only guy who thinks this is a terrible idea?????  They are pitching their case to the Lt Monday asking for the monitor to be installed.  I am pitching my case saying BAAAAAAD IDEA!  I am going to draw on my G1000 experience and my CRM experience from CAP Mission Pilot training that the piloting abilities seriously degrade with the pilot becomes the observer.   Sadly, I am also going to draw on the Ed Lewis and Dion Decamp crash to illustrate what can happen when two highly experienced pilots get caught up watching the show instead of flying the airplane.  Obviously we will never know what happened that night, but I believe it is relevant to what I am trying to prevent.  If anyone has any other data supporting my position I would appreciate it.  Because I KNOW there is no data supporting the pilot becoming an observer!!!!

bosshawk

Rob: can't add any data, but I happen to concur with your position.  In one real-world incident, two of our most experienced CAP Search Pilots were killed because the 82 yr old who was flying also happened to be looking out the window at the ground.  When he thought that he saw something, he turned the aircraft in the direction in which he was looking and flew right into the terrain that was on his side of the aircraft.  Result: two dead and one seriously burned.

Have your Lt call me if you want.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Flying Pig

Do you know who that was and a brief synopsis of the event? 

Eclipse

This situation is the text-book example why the aircrew should be doing the work (including not flying right seat), and the pilot flying the plane and nothing else.

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Its interesting, when you start really getting into CRM, one of the main points is when the pilot gets pre-occupied with the specified duties of another crew member, and you end up with nobody actually flying the plane.

Have you ever seen two CFI's in the front seat of a plane :)  Woe to the spectator in the back seat  >:D  I flew into an airport with another CFI.  he was PIC, but I was also up front.  We landed and realized we never made a single radio call at the uncontrolled airport.  I mentioned it.

He said, "Oh, because you made some calls earlier I assumed you were handling the radio."

I said, "Oh, I was helping you out, I didnt know you were wanting me to do it, because after we got going I stopped listening to the radios"

He said "Oh, OK, I was just flying and thought you were handling all the traffic"

Me "Hmmm, OK, why dont you be in charge on the way back"  >:D

Captain Morgan

I design tactical mapping systems for law enforcement.  My system is used by Las Vegas PD, Phoenix PD, Sacramento PD and Sheriff, Houston, Austin, San Jose, Santa Clara Sheriff, and many others.  I think the advantages of a pilot reference monitor outweigh the disadvantages.  As with the G1000, if it is used improperly it can be a distraction, but used properly it raises situational awareness and cuts down on unecessary communication between the TFO and the pilot.  A one second glance at the reference monitor with the map and/or the FLIR can tell the pilot:

• Heading and distance to the scene
  • Vertical obstructions in the area
  • Quick "mind picture" of the scene before you get there
  • A quick look at the terrain under you or at the upcoming scene at night using topo maps or aerial photography
  • Distance and bearing of the scene (before you get there) from the airport to negotiate with ATC
  • The azimuth and elevation of the gimbal in case you need to adjust your orbit (on scene) or track (pursuit/surveilance) for the FLIR operator.  By occasionally glancing at the FLIR image, the experienced pilot can tell if the TFO is struggling to keep on target with the current flight path.
In some scenarios the TFO is very busy handling the situation, operating the equipment, and communicating with others outside the aircraft.  Pilot/TFO communication can be a distraction to both crew members.  Sometimes the pilot can obtain the needed information with a glance at the reference monitor.  I agree the pilot should not become a second TFO and concentrate on his primary job of flying the aircraft.  That is a matter of policy, discipline, and training (just like the G1000).
Don C. Morgan, Lt Col
AL3, AOBD, GTM3, IC3, IO, LO, MP, MSO
KY Wing Government Relations Officer
Blue Grass Senior Squadron ES Officer
Lexington, KY

Stearmann4

Pig,

Since our MH-47s pioneered full FMS / glass panels in assualt helicopters, CRM has been a major portion of new pilot training, and during the crew before each flight. Depending on which new software drop was just installed, or "where the heck is that 10th flight plan stored", or taking one hand off the collective to search with the FLIR or thermal, anyway, you get the idea.

It can be a common occurance for us to have both heads inside the cockpit manipulating the "system" rather than outside. Our first step to mitigate it is the crew brief which specifically states "Pilot on the controls", and Pilot-not-on-the-controls" duties. Guy flying - flies. Not not flying has the radios and mission aids. If someone does stick their head inside for any amount of time they announce "right seat's inside", and announce when they're back outside. The key being the verbal cue should clue the other guy to get his head up out of the MFD if the guy next to him just can't help himself from pushing buttons.

It takes standardization, and some practice to get the flow and call-outs, but works well if everyone adheres to the rules.

I forsee, as even the smallest Cessnas go automated and glass, that some standard CRM will be required when two pilots are in the plane for mission tasks.

All that to say; delineating duties before the flight seems to eliminate, or at least reduce confusion when things get busy, which is especially important in the NVG environment when the guy next to you may not acually see what you're doing. All this is in addition to the usual; "I-have-the-controls", etc.

Mike-
Active Duty Army Aviator
Silver Wings Flying Company, LLC
Olympia Regional Airport (KOLM)
www.Silverwingsflying.com

bosshawk

Having flown in the Army in a high-performance, two crew airplane, I concur completely. 

FP: I'll PM you with the details of the fatal that I referred to above.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

A.Member

I don't have anything significantly more substantive to add aside from what's already been said.   However, I'll throw support in as another who concurs that this is not a good idea.  A pilot has one fundamental task once in the air...no unplanned stops with terrain.  That needs to be their primary focus - not "watching the show".
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."