eServices Cadet Promotions

Started by Brewer, July 10, 2012, 04:57:47 PM

Brewer

How do you all do your cadet promotions through eServices now? I understand how it works, but do you approve the promotion as soon as the cadet has completed all requirements? Currently, my squadron makes cadets wait until a promotions night, which I don't think is very fair, especially if the cadet completes all of the requirements the day after a promotion night and has to wait four weeks. Also, do you promote them on any day of the week? I remember when I was a cadet, I was promoted in BDUs on occasion. What I want to do is approve promotions as soon as the cadets complete the requirements and are given an evaluation (we do one each promotion even though we don't need to), and then promote ASAP no matter the uniform (unless it's a milestone). What do you do/think?

Eclipse

They should be entered as soon as they are completed, or back-dated to match the completion date. They should not be penalized for the pinning.

I'd say promoting immediately is a good idea (unless there some extenuating circumstance like an encampment or dinner coming up, etc.)

"That Others May Zoom"

Brewer

Thanks! So, you think it's fine to promote in BDUs if that's the next meeting after their promotion?

a2capt

This could easily turn into a spitting match .. but I will say how we do it:

Cadets are promoted when they are ready. The dates in eServices are according to when they met the requirements and the review board done with a CAPF50 as the basis, seals the deal.

A failed review board, will make that effective date be the date of the next passed review board, otherwise the effective date is 56 days from the last one, or the date the last requirement was met.  Administrative scheduling is not held against a cadet's promotion.

If we simply blow the schedule, and the review board does not happen, that's not the cadet's fault.

Having to wait extra time just because the unit only pins stuff on once a month isn't right either, in my eyes. However, if they said we only pin stuff on once a month, but promotions take effect when the review board is passed ..  that wouldn't be much better. You'd be out of uniform for up to three weeks perhaps.

For milestones the cadet in question will generally wear blues that evening, otherwise it's done in either BDU's or Blues, and while we may opt to have a review board on a PT night, we generally don't promote on PT nights because of the lack of uniform.  Unless the cadet wants it, and will usually change into a uniform to receive it.

But in the gist of things, it's done on their time, not a mechanical calendar. Why? They earned it.

Eclipse

Quote from: Brewer on July 10, 2012, 05:05:15 PM
Thanks! So, you think it's fine to promote in BDUs if that's the next meeting after their promotion?

Absolutely.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

..and yes, banquets, dinner, grand parent visits, et al - do work into things. If it needs to delay for that, it can. But cadets dont' suffer delayed dates for it. Ever. You're right. That's not fair.

At least the way some wing's hand out wing level awards, while you may have to wait a year to get your certificate, you generally have the award posted prior.

EMT-83

Our only rule is we don't promote on PT night. No place to pin the insignia!

And you don't get your new insignia until you return the old ones. Saves the squadron lots of money that way.

Brewer

Thank you, all! I'll see if I can convince my squadron commander :D

lordmonar

We promote in E-services as soon as all the requirments are done....we pin on "promotion night".....saves us time.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Cap'n

They should be approving the cadets on eservices the minute they finish all of the requirements. This could be before, or after the 60 days as well. I know my DCC has to constantly approve my promotions at least a month before my TIG runs out, and that is the same case for many of the cadets near my rank.

We also host promotions only once a month, but you can promote before then. And if you will be gone on that promotions night, then you get your rank ahead of time. It shouldn't be a huge deal. But talk to the commander- it isn't right to make the cadets wait.