ABU = Equine Corpse

Started by ProdigalJim, July 02, 2012, 07:14:45 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: Peeka on April 24, 2013, 03:12:20 AM
Whatever they decide, I just hope they don't decide to use the BBDUs as the main uniform.

Because?

"That Others May Zoom"

Peeka

Because they look...horrible. Aren't we supposed to, as an auxiliary of the Air force, look professional?

Eclipse

Quote from: Peeka on April 24, 2013, 03:24:10 AM
Because they look...horrible. Aren't we supposed to, as an auxiliary of the Air force, look professional?

If they don't look "professional", then they aren't being configured, maintained, or worn properly.

You might also consider the fact that more then 1/2 of the membership are not allowed to wear anything else in your comment that they look "horrible".

Not to mention that both the Coast Guard and the Navy, as well as many LEA's wear a variant of the "horrible" blue field uniform.

"That Others May Zoom"

♠SARKID♠

I think they look a whole lot more professional than BDUs.  I much prefer looking like a coastie than a muddy tree.  Do I like being the uniform odd one out? No.

Майор Хаткевич

I'd be fine with bbdus, but cadets should have w/e AF has.

Peeka

QuoteNot to mention that both the Coast Guard and the Navy, as well as many LEA's wear a variant of the "horrible" blue field uniform.

They wear a camofluage pattern of blue, not a solid color blue, at least the Navy does.

QuoteI much prefer looking like a coastie than a muddy tree.

I can respect your preference. But did the Air force ever wear solid blue uniforms? Not to my knowledge. (correct me if I'm wrong) Our uniforms should be modeled after the Air force's uniforms at least, not the Coast Guard's or the Navy's.

Quotebut cadets should have w/e AF has
+1

Eclipse

Quote from: Peeka on April 24, 2013, 03:45:45 AM
They wear a camofluage pattern of blue, not a solid color blue, at least the Navy does.

The Coast Guard wears a "field" uniform that is nearly identical to ours, especially at a salute's distance, as does the NOAA Commissioned Corps.

The Navy continues to wear coveralls at sea which closely resemble our Blue field uniform at the same distance.

Quote from: Peeka on April 24, 2013, 03:45:45 AMOur uniforms should be modeled after the Air force's uniforms at least
I agree, however since the USAF has chosen to make that option unavailable to more then 1/2 the senior membership, then we should choose to have a "uniform" vs. a menu.
And this is especially true for field uniforms, which should stress function over form.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

@ Ned

Personally, I don't have a problem with ABUs. If the USAF and CAP decide to go to ABUs, I will probably buy and wear them as well. I also have no problems wearing the current BDUs, even though I believe it's not the best uniform for ground search and rescue due to the camouflage pattern. I do wish CAP would have one type of uniform for each environment/mission as opposed to the multiple uniform combinations it currently has.

My intention was never to question the relationship between the Air Force and CAP. As a matter of fact, I belong to both. But for whatever reasons, CAP members seem to always get too wrapped up around uniform issues. That's why I don't understand what the big deal is about going to ABUs right now, when BDUs are working just fine (except, of course for the camouflage pattern in a GSAR environment).

We will still accomplish the mission regardless of which uniform we wear. And lets not forget that many CAP members do not wear Air Force-style uniforms. Are they any less part of CAP? Are they any less part of the U.S. Air Force Auxiliary? Of course not! The uniform, while important, is not the most important part of CAP. Even the Air Force has put uniform initiatives on hold (indefinitely) because they realized that it was not a priority. I wish we would do the same in CAP.

Майор Хаткевич

While the blue on navy doesn't quite make for a perfect match, my BBDUs look better than perhaps 90% of those in BDUs. Same goes for my G/WS vs the majority of Blues. Its all about how YOU wear it.

Storm Chaser

I don't own BBDUs, but if CAP decided to make them the only authorized utility uniform, I would have no problem wearing them either. I do think the uniform would look better with tapes, rank insignias, and badges with matching navy blue background. The white and other colors look just fine in the uniform.

While it's not an Air Force-style uniform, it would solve the problem of uniformity in CAP. I mean no disrespect, but I think we would look more professional if we all wore the same type of uniform, especially during an emergency response or public affairs event.

PHall

Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 24, 2013, 04:11:15 AM
I also have no problems wearing the current BDUs, even though I believe it's not the best uniform for ground search and rescue due to the camouflage pattern.

Well if you do like you're instructed to do in the regs and wear that orange vest over your BDU's, the camouflage is NOT a problem.

TarRiverRat

What I don't understand is why we have to have so many different uniforms in CAP.  Grooming and weight standards is what causes us to have different uniforms as far as the USAF is concerned, but I was in the Coast Guard Auxiliary and we wore the same exact uniforms that the Active and Reserve did no mater what our weight was.  USCG wanted all of their assets to be uniformed the same.  The only difference is that our rate insignia had an "A" and our tapes had USGC Auxiliary.  We were silver and they were gold. It looked so much better that everyone was wearing the same uniform. I had left CAP and went to the USCG Aux at a later time and now have come back to CAP.  When I left CAP, I could wear the camo BDU even though I did not meet the weight standards and I could wear the green flight suit as well.  When I came back, that is a NO NO.  I think the BBDU look just fine and I actually like them better.  I feel that we should be all uniformed the same.  We may all wear uniforms but we are not UNIFORMED.  To me it does not look proper and does not look professional for everyone to be in different uniforms.  I know that there are a lot of cadets that may want this new patern uniform but there are also quite a few senior members that want them too.  My feelings is that if they want the uniform then they should enlist.
Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057

SJFedor

I would disagree, as would the HAZMAT/Tech Rescue/USAR/Special Ops guys of the major metropolitan fire department I work for, who wear them everyday, are actually doing REAL work in them day in and day out, and somehow manage to not only keep them serviceable, but professional looking.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Storm Chaser

Quote from: PHall on April 24, 2013, 05:09:02 AM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 24, 2013, 04:11:15 AM
I also have no problems wearing the current BDUs, even though I believe it's not the best uniform for ground search and rescue due to the camouflage pattern.

Well if you do like you're instructed to do in the regs and wear that orange vest over your BDU's, the camouflage is NOT a problem.

First of all, I ALWAYS wear my ANSI II orange vest. My 24 Hr-pack and gear is also hi-viz orange, thank you very much. And apparently a lot of smart people on this site disagree with you about wearing camouflage in GSAR operations.

BillB

The concept of eveyone changing to the blue BDU leaves out one thing. Cadets can get the regular BDU from surplus sources and free or very low price. The BBDU is fine for Seniors, but often is priced out of range f cadts. (who have to have 2 sets for encampments and other activities)
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Peeka

I think I worded my post a little to harshly. As an Air force auxiliary, the BBDUs would look "horrible" because we would be representing the Coast guard or Navy more than we would the Air Force.

Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 24, 2013, 04:27:37 AM
While it's not an Air Force-style uniform, it would solve the problem of uniformity in CAP. I mean no disrespect, but I think we would look more professional if we all wore the same type of uniform, especially during an emergency response or public affairs event.
:clap: This is true. I just don't what to look like a Coastie while I'm representing the Air force. /preference/

Storm Chaser

Quote from: BillB on April 24, 2013, 11:26:31 AM
The concept of eveyone changing to the blue BDU leaves out one thing. Cadets can get the regular BDU from surplus sources and free or very low price. The BBDU is fine for Seniors, but often is priced out of range f cadts. (who have to have 2 sets for encampments and other activities)

That is certainly something to consider. There are two main reasons I wear BDUs instead of BBDUs. One is because I like wearing the same uniform cadets are wearing, especially when I'm working with them. The second is because most of my uniforms have either been issued by the Air Force, donated, or purchased used at a discounted price.

NIN

If the timing works out, and the ABU goes away from the AF, then we'll perhaps have a glut of ABUs in the logistics pipeline for cadets. :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 24, 2013, 11:39:05 AM
Quote from: BillB on April 24, 2013, 11:26:31 AM

That is certainly something to consider. There are two main reasons I wear BDUs instead of BBDUs. One is because I like wearing the same uniform cadets are wearing, especially when I'm working with them. The second is because most of my uniforms have either been issued by the Air Force, donated, or purchased used at a discounted price.

I'm forced, for now to wear bbdus. I don't believe my cadets care that much, and it is set up as my bdus were. They care when SMs wear stuff wrong, not about the color.

a2capt