Main Menu

Unit Citation

Started by C/2d Lt, June 19, 2012, 07:06:45 PM

PWK-GT

Quote from: usafaux2004 on July 22, 2012, 04:38:42 AM
You would think wing has to send something up for NHQ...

And you would be right.

Currently, the F120 for the UC is approved by the Wing, and then NHQ approves the F120 when it sends the 'kit' with certificate and streamer back to the Wing for presentation.
"Is it Friday yet"

ßτε

As I read CAPR 39-3, it looks like the UC must be approved at the national level, not just wing and region.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 22, 2012, 03:58:01 AM
Is there a database listing all the units who earned a UC over, say, the last 20 years or so? I've tried checking with my old Wing but no dice.

Occassionally I see where it lists XXWG (5th Award) ZZWG (3rd Award) in the CAP magazine but i never see Petticoat Junction Cadet Squadron, XX-123 (44th Award) listed. Or any Squadron or Group listed for that matter. It is always a Wing, Wing HQ or Region.

SARDOC

Quote from: ßτε on July 22, 2012, 11:46:08 AM
As I read CAPR 39-3, it looks like the UC must be approved at the national level, not just wing and region.

That's the way I read it too...but then doesn't it become the National Commander Unit Citation.  The Approving authority for the UC is not clearly defined in the Regs.

The CyBorg is destroyed

I think it should be redesigned along the lines of the AF OSU ribbon.

Right now it looks like a stick of Dentyne Spearmint Gum.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SarDragon

Quote from: SARDOC on December 06, 2012, 05:54:25 AM
Quote from: ßτε on July 22, 2012, 11:46:08 AM

That's the way I read it too...but then doesn't it become the National Commander Unit Citation.  The Approving authority for the UC is not clearly defined in the Regs.

The NCUC award is strictly top down. A regular UCC can be initiated at the Group, Wing, and Region level.

Squadrons do get them, but not very often.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MSG Mac

Those saying the UC should be ditched upon transfer are wrong. The ribbon goes with the individuals who earned it. The Personnel Officer of the Unit should be preparing a Personnel Authorization  listing all members of the unit who were members during the cited period.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: CyBorg on December 06, 2012, 06:32:17 AM
I think it should be redesigned along the lines of the AF OSU ribbon.

Right now it looks like a stick of Dentyne Spearmint Gum.

What's even more confusing is that the Unit Citation award streamer is red, while the ribbon is green. (The 'Green Weenie'!) If I remember correctly the NCUC streamer is gold with blue lettering.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Eclipse

Drop the NCUC and use the ribbon for the merit and distinction awards (then they would have some meaning to the membership), and change the UC to RED.  Change IACE to solid the solid green, since that affects very few members, anyway.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Before the Great Ribbon Redesign of the late 1970's-early 1980's, the UC was green with 4(IIRC) white stripes and IACE was red with white propellers scattered on it. Therefore, the power-that-were made the UC green (I think to avoid confusion with a military ribbon) and IACE red.

Eclipse

Another reason we should just wear CAP decorations and move on.  The constant discussion / concern about being confused with
decs from other services shouldn't be the primary reasoning behind a given award. 

"That Others May Zoom"

LGM30GMCC

This is probably why the UC mini medal is green with two edging white stripes. And the IACE mini-medal retains its props.

Eclipse

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on December 07, 2012, 05:31:58 PM
This is probably why the UC mini medal is green with two edging white stripes. And the IACE mini-medal retains its props.

Never noticed that before (never paid attention, either)

The SAR Ribbon has extraneous white edging as well:

"That Others May Zoom"

68w20

Quote from: Eclipse on December 07, 2012, 03:06:11 PM
Another reason we should just wear CAP decorations and move on.  The constant discussion / concern about being confused with
decs from other services shouldn't be the primary reasoning behind a given award.

Or another reason to ask the wearer for clarification:
Member A: Hey, is that a [insert military dec here]
Member B: No, it's a [insert CAP dec here]
Member A: Cool.
Member B: Yupp.

RiverAux

Quote from: Eclipse on December 07, 2012, 03:06:11 PM

The only folks that are going to recognize that some ribbons worn by CAP members are real military ribbons are those who were in the real military and by the time they're close enough to see a ribbon they'll have had ample opportunity to notice the other things that make our uniforms look different. 

[Although some civilians may recognize a few military awards -- Medal of Honor, Purple Heart, and CIB, but thats about it]

SarDragon

Quote from: arajca on December 07, 2012, 02:17:30 PM
Before the Great Ribbon Redesign of the late 1970's-early 1980's, the UC was green with 4(IIRC) white stripes and IACE was red with white propellers scattered on it. Therefore, the power-that-were made the UC green (I think to avoid confusion with a military ribbon) and IACE red.

According to my multiple sources, the UC has had the same design since its inception in 1960 - a solid green ribbon. I still have my plastic one from my cadet days.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SARDOC

Does National maintain a list of when Squadron's may have been issued Unit Citations?   I know my unit has been around since the 40's and has gotten multiple citations since then.  However, I'll be darned if I've ever seen a Streamer of anything along those lines.

MSG Mac

There have been several Wings and units that have asked for that information, but National does't have the list.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member