Obtaining GT3

Started by C/2d Lt, June 17, 2012, 10:53:13 PM

C/2d Lt

I have compleated the tests however how do you compleat the rest of the tasks. During a bivouac or encampment and if so how are they recorded is it the cadets responcibility or the squadrents to send it to national.
C/1st Lt Neuman                                                 Cadet Executive Officer    NER-NY- 135                                    

Kansas Wing Winter Encampment ES Flight-2012       *GTM3, MRO, UDF, FLM, MSA
New York Wing Encampment-
              2012- Golf Flight Inflight
              2013- Charlie Flight Commander- Honor Flight for the Encampment
              2014- Squadron 2 Commander

Extremepredjudice

The tasks are recorded in my operations qualifications. You need to enter everything and scan and upload the paper SQTR with signatures.

You need a SET to teach you the tasks, test you, and then sign off on the tasks.

You can also go to NESA to get GTM3 done.

You should also talk to your squadron's ES officer.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

C/2d Lt

Where would i find someone to test me and sign off on the task. Is that something that i would talk to the ES Officer about?
C/1st Lt Neuman                                                 Cadet Executive Officer    NER-NY- 135                                    

Kansas Wing Winter Encampment ES Flight-2012       *GTM3, MRO, UDF, FLM, MSA
New York Wing Encampment-
              2012- Golf Flight Inflight
              2013- Charlie Flight Commander- Honor Flight for the Encampment
              2014- Squadron 2 Commander

Extremepredjudice

Yes. They should know.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

arajca

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on June 17, 2012, 10:55:21 PM
The tasks are recorded in my operations qualifications. You need to enter everything and scan and upload the paper SQTR with signatures.

You need a SET to teach you the tasks, test you, and then sign off on the tasks.

You can also go to NESA to get GTM3 done.

You should also talk to your squadron's ES officer.
Any one can teach the tasks or you can learn by reading and practicing on your own. Only an authorized SET can test and sign off the tasks. It's a common misconception that only a SET can teach the tasks. Ideally, the instructor should NOT be the one testing the tasks. I've seen, and not just in CAP, the "I trained them, of course they'll pass" mindset by instructors.

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on June 17, 2012, 11:15:20 PMAny one can teach the tasks or you can learn by reading and practicing on your own. Only an authorized SET can test and sign off the tasks. It's a common misconception that only a SET can teach the tasks. Ideally, the instructor should NOT be the one testing the tasks. I've seen, and not just in CAP, the "I trained them, of course they'll pass" mindset by instructors.

x10 - not to mention you can teach yourself.

"That Others May Zoom"

SABRE17

This is all true everywhere except MA wing. In MA you need a "qualified evaluator" who is granted the ability to certify and sign off by the wing hq. if you don't have one at your unit, go to NESA, or MASAR.

Edit: basically any one can train you who has the qualification, but the CAPID entered as an evaluator but be on the list of "certified evaluators"
and no, I cannot cite this regulation.

one reason I commute 3 hours in the summer to attend meetings in New Hampshire, Abenaki For The Win!

Eclipse

Which, the learning or the signing?

All wings require a qualified SET for tasking, no one can tell you where to learn.

You either can demonstrate or you can't, the source of the skill is irrelevant.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Keep in mind, not all SETs are authorized to sign off tasks. There are a number of members who have taken the SET test and have SET listed as a qualification that have been qualified in an ES rating for a year, but are not authorized because they are one week wonders and haven't done anything, including participating in exercises, since.

Eclipse

^ Correct.

Sabre17 - you do not need to be qualified to train someone, in fact you do not even need to be a CAP member.  A compass points North
no matter where you learn that fact (etc., etc.)

CAPR 60-3 is the regulation which governs the SET's and related matters. To be an SET you must be current, qualified (for at least a calendar year) and
approved by the Wing CC or his designate.  Many wings also require you to be submitted / approved by your unit CC and Group CC as well.

Since SET approvals are ultimately the purview of the Wing CC, barring local SOP, you can generally find one in another unit. There is no need to
go to NESA or any other NCSA or similar (though they are a good idea).

"That Others May Zoom"

SABRE17

Eclipse, I didn't say you needed to be qualified to train, just qualified to sign off the task, and in MAWG along with SET you need to be approved by wing to do that, and they have disapproved fellow cadets, (including a NESA staff member). Most units do not even have these type of evaluators in-house...

If you don't get it, I can't help, this phantom regulation has just added to the bureaucracy and made training people impossible.

Eclipse

60-30 is not a "phantom" regulation, and I have issues myself with cadets being SETs, even the NESA participants.

All members in my wing are considered on a case-by-case basis, and right now there are no cadet SETs approved.
This is not a "wing thing" - not a single unit CC sent up a cadet name when we went through the recent re-validation of all
SETs.

"That Others May Zoom"

SABRE17

I'm not talking about 60-3 at all, there is a MASSACHUSETTS WING "regulation" that requires anyone getting a sign off on a task be evaluated by an "approved evaluator" this regulation apparently exists nowhere else in CAP, and might not exist at all. But is enforced in MAWG... Some say it's a 60-3 wing supplement, (needs to be approved by national) but no one at national seems to know anything about it... (confirmed by fellow member who actually called NHQ)

PCAPR (Phantom CAP Regulation)

Eclipse

Quote from: SABRE17 on June 18, 2012, 09:51:48 PM
I'm not talking about 60-3 at all, there is a MASSACHUSETTS WING "regulation" that requires anyone getting a sign off on a task be evaluated by an "approved evaluator" this regulation apparently exists nowhere else in CAP, and might not exist at all. But is enforced in MAWG... Some say it's a 60-3 wing supplement, (needs to be approved by national) but no one at national seems to know anything about it... (confirmed by fellow member who actually called NHQ)

PCAPR (Phantom CAP Regulation)

CAPR 60-3, page 23:

(1) Evaluators who are current and qualified supervisors  as outlined on the NHQ
CAP/DOS website must complete the current emergency services Skills Evaluator Training
(SET) also outlined on the NHQ CAP/DOS website.  SET will be reflected on the CAPF 101
with "NO EXPIRE".  The member must also have held the specialty achievement qualification
in which they are to evaluate for at least one year. Exceptions to the one year requirement can be
approved by the wing commander or their designees in cases where the member's professional
background meets the experience criteria.  Evaluators must also be approved by their unit
commander, group commander (if applicable) and wing commander or their designees to serve
in each specialty they are authorized to evaluate.
   Commanders or their designees can limit or
change what specialty qualifications a member is allowed to evaluate in Ops Quals at any time at
their discretion.  The "all" default authority for an evaluator being submitted for approval would
allow them to evaluate in any area that they themselves have been current and qualified in for at
least a year.  Personnel currently SET qualified when this regulation is released will be qualified
under the default authority noted above unless changed by a commander or their designee.  If a
commander or designee chooses to limit new specialties a member can evaluate rather than using
the  "all"  default, then the commander will  have to approve each individual specialty as it is
added.   Directors of wing, region, or national emergency services schools approved by NHQ
CAP/DO can assign temporary SET approval to staff personnel as necessary for their specific
events. NHQ CAP/DO will coordinate approval of these school directors with NHQ CAP/IT.   

"That Others May Zoom"

SABRE17

Huh... looks like I have some forwarding to do then.