Hello - question about going semi-active

Started by CapGuy64321, June 05, 2012, 07:20:51 PM

CapGuy64321

Hello there -

I have been in CAP a while and I don't want to participate quite so much anymore. Let's just say I'd like to wait out the next squadron commander. 'Nuff said. Is there a "wing admin unit" or something that I can transfer to and still participate and fly but just not have to go to the local unit meetings?

Thanks!

CapGuy64321

jeders

Short answer: no. There is a wing "holding unit" for inactive members, but you can't do anything while you're there.

It sounds to me like you want to continue to participate in ways which you enjoy (flying), but without dealing with local personalities. In that case I would suggest looking for a new unit to participate in. If that's not an option, then there's always the choice of trying to make things work with the next commander.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

CapGuy64321

Can one transfer into a "group" unit? If so, what can one do there? I just want to avoid the problems that are going on with the personalities in the current unit.

CapGuy64321

BTW, the next commander IS the problem.

I get along great with the current commander.

usafcap1

I would just look in to the next sister units near by. Call the commander and see if they have and an airplane, tell them your goals, don't say stuff about the next new commander. Say that you just want a change of scenery. Something along those lines.

P.S. Welcome Aboard
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

RiverAux

Volunteer to do something on group or wing staff.

Camas

Quote from: RiverAux on June 05, 2012, 08:43:43 PM
Volunteer to do something on group or wing staff.
I served on wing staff for eight years up until a month or so ago when I returned to the unit level. It was a very rewarding experience. I highly recommend it (or group level) to anyone looking for a challenge. It will certainly give you an exposure to CAP in a way very few unit-level members experience.

Private Investigator

Quote from: CapGuy64321 on June 05, 2012, 07:39:22 PM
BTW, the next commander IS the problem.

I get along great with the current commander.

The three of you should sit down and talk about it. JMHO ...  ;)

Ford73Diesel

I don't know if this is 100% by the books, but it worked for me...

I participated in a CAP event (encampment) as a member of the 000  "ghost" squadron. The only thing I had to do was have the wing CC sign off and give permission to attend and do a safety module. He didn't mind, so it was no big deal. I don't know if he would have liked it if numerous people did that. YMMV. They really needed another SM for encampment and I got called out of my inactive status. After the event I became a ghost again....

Eclipse

Most wings are putting everyone in 000 in Patron Status, and disallowing those people from doing anything.

Patron Status is an option in this case as well.

Otherwise there's generally plenty of work at the Group and wing level, though the jobs might not always be "choice".

Or you could just deal with the new guy.  people don't have to be BFF's to work together professionally.

"That Others May Zoom"