First Sergeant, or Flight Commander?

Started by Sgt. Papa, June 01, 2012, 01:42:42 AM

Sgt. Papa

Hello all, i was recently informed that this year, when my squadrons High School senior cadets leave, (our C/CC, CDC, and our Flt/Comm), i will be taking over as either the First Sergeant, or the Flight Commander. I would LOVE to take First Sergeant, because it's just a great position overall, but Flight Commander would help me understand what it's like in the CAP Cadet Officer Corps. I'll most likely be a Chief by that time. My squadron commander wants me to be a Flight Commander, because she thinks i'm the only one qualified, and she's just looking at it by a CoC standpoint, like where i'll be next, (right now i'm a Flt/Sgt.), and my C/CC wants me to take First Sergeant,because he actually knows me as a friend and knows i'll excell in that spot.
Any ideas? What should i take guys?

Eclipse

Flight CC is inappropriate until you are an Officer, and you'll have plenty of time to do it.

Go for First Shirt and enjoy the ride.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on June 01, 2012, 01:55:35 AM
Flight CC is inappropriate until you are an Officer, and you'll have plenty of time to do it.

On the other hand....if he is going to be C/CMSgt by Aug...then he is not going to be the right rank for First Sergeant for very long.
I would talk this over with my squadorn commander and/or CDC and go with her recommendation.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

MSG Mac

If your Commander believes you're the most qualified person to be Flight Commander, she will make you a Flight Commander. Remember that as a Cadet your job is to advance, and gain experience in a Leadership position. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on June 01, 2012, 01:59:15 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 01, 2012, 01:55:35 AM

On the other hand....if he is going to be C/CMSgt by Aug...then he is not going to be the right rank for First Sergeant for very long.
I would talk this over with my squadorn commander and/or CDC and go with her recommendation.

That's probably 6 months as the first shirt.  Then he can move to Flight CC after he has the appropriate grade, with the first shirt times helping his leadership experience.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

You also forget the point where his commander said he was the only one qualified.

Now...I too am a beliver of keeping the job commisurate with the progression in the program...but the commander is the leader in the spot.  It's his call. 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Sgt. Papa

well, i just hope i'm put into an appropriate position for myself.

Eagle

I wouldn't stress out about it. If asked your opinion, give your honest opinion. What do you want to do, why you think you are qualified for the position, your concerns. Allow them to come up with the final decision.
C/2dLt Thomas Bracker
Pell City Composite Squadron
Alpha Flight Commander

Sgt. Papa

ElectricPenguin

Go with first shirt. I am a C/SMSgt flight commander and it sorta sucks. You are more likely to fill in for the commander though.

crisptheyounger

I would go with First Shirt. You probably have plenty of time left in CAP to serve a good term as a Flight Commander later. Being a First Shirt, even if it's for 3-4 months, would be a good experience especially since it's a different type of position than a Flight Commander or Flight Sergeant.
Cadet: 2006-2013, Spaatz #1873

ElectricPenguin