BIVOUAC 48 HOURS

Started by Sgt. Papa, May 04, 2012, 06:47:55 PM

Sgt. Papa

okay my squadron's going on a Bivouac tomorrow morning until sunday night, what should i pack? i figure it's a little more than 24 hours, but a bit less than 72 hours. Any ideas?

Major Carrales

Are y'all cooking out of a "chuck box" or ordering in food?   
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Eagle

Bringing at least 4 pairs of socks is a most. Your feet get really sweaty, and that really feels bad if you're there for a long period of time. Are you building your own shelters? Or bringing tents?
C/2dLt Thomas Bracker
Pell City Composite Squadron
Alpha Flight Commander

ol'fido

Depends as others have asked on whether you are being provided chow or not and whether you are sharing a tent or on your own for shelter. Other than this you will need:

sleeping bag
sleeping mat(padded)
underclothes and socks for 3 days(one extra day for emergencies
toiletry kit with soap, toothbrush, paste, deoderant, etc.
rain gear
canteen or other water carrier
flashlight
metal cup or mug
plus we always required our cadets to bring and carry at all times a pocket knife, whistle, compass, and matches.
there are several other items that you can carry and if anyone else posts they will probably have something to add but I would keep my gear to the minimum until you learn for yourself what is needed and what works or doesn't.

Although there are exceptions to this rule(as there are with nearly all rules), combination items such as a flashlight/multi-tool/whistle usually don't do any one of those well and by their nature are not very durable.

Go with what you can scrounge around the house or get at your local Walmart at first. There's no need to get high end camping gear from Kelty or REI to go camp at the local state park a couple or three times a year.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Sgt. Papa

well we're supposed to bring a tent but i don't have one so i will probably build a shelter, but one of my cadets has a huge tent that fits like 5 people so he might let me sleep in that. Our ES officer is bringing the food, we're cooking it on a fire/stove so i just need stuff in case we do SAR exercises.

Major Carrales

Quote from: ECCS4Life on May 04, 2012, 09:35:07 PM
well we're supposed to bring a tent but i don't have one so i will probably build a shelter, but one of my cadets has a huge tent that fits like 5 people so he might let me sleep in that. Our ES officer is bringing the food, we're cooking it on a fire/stove so i just need stuff in case we do SAR exercises.

If the packaging says, "fits five people" rest assured it DOES NOT!   Get a $30-50 tent from WAL*MART amd some tent stakes, it is worth the investment.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Sgt. Papa

Well Sir, we are going on the Bivouac tomorrow, so i was thinking i would just build a lean-to or something with the tarp i have. So far, in my pack, i've packed:
3 pair socks(wrapped in plastic wrap in case of water exposure)
plyers
note pad w/pens
First aid kit(antiseptic ointment, gauze pads, gauze wrap, bandages)

Extremepredjudice

You need a whistle. And a compass.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

titanII

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on May 05, 2012, 12:50:32 AM
....and clothing (underwear, t-shirts, and your uniform stuff). Bring a thick coat or some sort of insulating layer (if you have a field jacket, that is what I'm getting at). And rain gear (poncho/jacket). if you're going the tarp shelter route, make sure you have some rope (paracord works well) and some tent stakes. If you don't have stakes though, you can always use some strong sticks. Also bring a sleeping bag (duh) and a sleeping pad. If you don't have a sleeping pad, a air mattress or a yoga mat could work. Bring a flashlight, or a headlamp if you have one. Bring your Camelback, and a canteen or reusable waterbottle.

EDIT: I underlined every item
No longer active on CAP talk

ol'fido

Quote from: titanII on May 05, 2012, 01:23:27 AM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on May 05, 2012, 12:50:32 AM
....and clothing (underwear, t-shirts, and your uniform stuff). Bring a thick coat or some sort of insulating layer (if you have a field jacket, that is what I'm getting at). And rain gear (poncho/jacket). if you're going the tarp shelter route, make sure you have some rope (paracord works well) and some tent stakes. If you don't have stakes though, you can always use some strong sticks. Also bring a sleeping bag (duh) and a sleeping pad. If you don't have a sleeping pad, a air mattress or a yoga mat could work. Bring a flashlight, or a headlamp if you have one. Bring your Camelback, and a canteen or reusable waterbottle.

EDIT: I underlined every item
IOW, the list I gave you above.

Walkman

Quote from: Eagle on May 04, 2012, 07:20:34 PM
Bringing at least 4 pairs of socks is a most. Your feet get really sweaty, and that really feels bad if you're there for a long period of time.

+1

titanII

Quote from: ol'fido on May 05, 2012, 03:31:24 AM
IOW, the list I gave you above.
Ooops, sorry! I should've made sure I didn't list any repeats.
No longer active on CAP talk

SARDOC

Quote from: ECCS4Life on May 04, 2012, 11:06:37 PM
Well Sir, we are going on the Bivouac tomorrow, so i was thinking i would just build a lean-to or something with the tarp i have. So far, in my pack, i've packed:
3 pair socks(wrapped in plastic wrap in case of water exposure)
plyers
note pad w/pens
First aid kit(antiseptic ointment, gauze pads, gauze wrap, bandages)

If you know how to build an improvised Shelter, great.  if this is something you are going to just try and wing it in the woods...buy a tent.

whatevah

Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Sgt. Papa

Well, about 10 cadets showed up, and our Cadet Commander and myself took over as the Commanders for two Patrols, Alpha and Bravo. I packed more than enough equipment, and really only used my sleeping bad, pad of paper and pen, and some forks, haha. Our senior members were very lenient when it came to giving us supplies if we were low on them, seeing as we were camping out in a field near our Squadron Building.

SJFedor

Quote from: ECCS4Life on May 09, 2012, 12:22:04 AM
Well, about 10 cadets showed up, and our Cadet Commander and myself took over as the Commanders for two Patrols, Alpha and Bravo. I packed more than enough equipment, and really only used my sleeping bad, pad of paper and pen, and some forks, haha. Our senior members were very lenient when it came to giving us supplies if we were low on them, seeing as we were camping out in a field near our Squadron Building.

Out in the field for 48-72 hours, and didn't use your spare clothes? Bet that field smelled lovely  :o

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

ol'fido

Quote from: SJFedor on May 09, 2012, 03:17:27 AM
Quote from: ECCS4Life on May 09, 2012, 12:22:04 AM

Out in the field for 48-72 hours, and didn't use your spare clothes? Bet that field smelled lovely  :o

Not to mention some soap and Right Guard. :P ;D

Sgt. Papa

well we showed up at around 9:00am on saturday, and left at 10:00am sunday, barely 24 hours, i changed my socks, used right guard obviously, and as soon as i got home, took a 45 minute shower haha

SarDragon

Quote from: ECCS4Life on May 09, 2012, 10:59:24 PM
well we showed up at around 9:00am on saturday, and left at 10:00am sunday, barely 24 hours, i changed my socks, used right guard obviously, and as soon as i got home, took a 45 minute shower haha

Is your shift key broken? This isn't Twitter.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: SarDragon on May 10, 2012, 01:34:10 AM
Quote from: ECCS4Life on May 09, 2012, 10:59:24 PM

Is your shift key broken? This isn't Twitter.
@SarDragon I agree, this isn't twitter #fail #nottwitter #useBBCodePlease
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"