Air Force Space Command to Stop Wearing Flightsuits and Jackets

Started by sardak, April 15, 2012, 04:30:11 PM

NCRblues

Quote from: sardak on April 19, 2012, 07:40:29 PM
AF Global Strike Command was organized in August, 2009 and picked up all the ICBMs on December 1, 2009. AFGSC, along with AFSPC, is one of the service components of STRATCOM. It's an interesting chain of custody on how the missiles got from SAC to Space to Strike, back to STRATCOM (SAC Deluxe).

Mike

Not to mention all the Bomb wings they picked up and the 8th AF. It's SAC with a facelift.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

The CyBorg is destroyed

Maaan, why not just bring back SAC?  Proud history (I admit it, even though I was TAC  :P), and who knows what kind of positive effect on morale it might have?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

NCRblues

Quote from: CyBorg on April 19, 2012, 09:53:23 PM
Maaan, why not just bring back SAC?  Proud history (I admit it, even though I was TAC  :P), and who knows what kind of positive effect on morale it might have?

I was at a briefing from the then temporary Global Strike Commander and he said basically that bringing back SAC was looked at hard, but apparently many of the baby boomer generation have bad connotations with SAC. So, they went with SAC 2.0 or as we now know it Global Strike Command.

The GSC idea was just being thought up with the Minot incident really brought the fact that our nukes were all over the (command) map and no 2 nuke spots followed the same rules. So, GSC was forced through in quick order to help prevent another Minot incident.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

AngelWings

NCRblues

I didn't say I bought the reason given, but I was not in a position to argue with the 3 star >:D

PHall

Those of us who were "SAC Trained Killers" would have no problem bringing SAC back. >:D

[I served in SAC from 1975 to 1980 and 1983 to 1990.]

flyboy53

Quote from: NCRblues on April 19, 2012, 09:43:06 PM
Quote from: sardak on April 19, 2012, 07:40:29 PM
AF Global Strike Command was organized in August, 2009 and picked up all the ICBMs on December 1, 2009. AFGSC, along with AFSPC, is one of the service components of STRATCOM. It's an interesting chain of custody on how the missiles got from SAC to Space to Strike, back to STRATCOM (SAC Deluxe).

Mike

Not to mention all the Bomb wings they picked up and the 8th AF. It’s SAC with a facelift.

I stand corrected. Should have just kept SAC, but what do I know......I was AAC, TAC and MAC (oh, excuse me, AMC). >:D

quote author=Littleguy link=topic=15175.msg273751#msg273751 date=1334874283]
Quote from: CyBorg on April 19, 2012, 10:05:12 PM
"Bad connotations?"

I love SAC so much. Very great movie.
[/quote]

You should check out a Gathering of Eagles (especially about missiles) or Bombers B-52.

PHall

Quote from: flyboy1 on April 20, 2012, 10:52:22 AMYou should check out a Gathering of Eagles (especially about missiles) or Bombers B-52.

Those are the 2nd and 3rd legs of the great Air Force movie triad!

LGM30GMCC

AFGSC =/= SAC. It's just that simple. While they may look similar there are some very important distinctions:

1. AFGSC does not have any tanker or RECCE units assigned to it. They remain assigned to AMC and ACC respectively.

2. AFGSC does not have a combat mission for itself. Its assets are farmed out to CENTCOM, STRATCOM and the various other combatant commands. That being said USSTRATCOM has priority over the other combatant commands should the need for nuclear forces arrive.

3. Crap that you could have gotten away with during the days of SAC will get you kicked out in this day and age. Some things we can do would never fly in SAC.

The ICBM units are in a strange position where they are under a tug of war constantly. For the purposes of training, mx, and such, we fall under AFGSC. We do those things on alert. However we primarily are there to support STRATCOM and the CJCS. We can receive message traffic from either STRATCOM or CJCS as appropriate. (CJCS can skip STRATCOM if the need arises.)

On a day to day basis the 9 missile squadrons report to the 90th, 91st, and 341st MW as appropriate who then report to 20th AF which reports to AFGSC.

However, on a day to day basis, for mission/alert functions The primary Launch Control Centers (PLCCs) report to their Squadron Command Post (SCP) which report to the Alternate Command Post (ACP) which can report directly to Task Force 214 (which is commanded by the 20th AF commander.) or the STRATCOM Global Operations Center (GOC).

As for uniforms...
Day to day we wear Flight Suits or ABUs depending on personal preference. If we are training in the Missile Procedures Trainer or performing alert functions we wear our flight suits. While on alert we wear our flight suits...except when everything is closed away and it's just the two officers. Then we usually change to our PJs, knock out whatever work we need to do, study, but otherwise kick our feet up and wait for something to happen.

adamblank

To piggyback off Andrew the 13S officers in AFGSC can still wear their flight suits.  There is not a regulation change vetted through the uniform board but a policy letter for those 13S and 1C6s assigned to AFSPC.  No big deal either way both will continue to be awesome at what they do with no interruption to customer service.  :)
Adam Brandao

sardak

Here's some more on this change in a release from the 21st Space Wing: http://www.afspc.af.mil/news1/story.asp?id=123299255

This statement sounds like something from some CAP Talkers:
"We want to create synergy among all personnel across the command," [Gen] Shelton [AFSPC/CC] said in the letter. "When personnel wear the same uniform it has a unifying effect toward mission accomplishment. Standardization among the entire command prevents the perception of a 'haves' and 'have nots' situation; the very meaning of the word 'uniform' should drive us toward standardization."

And from other CAP Talkers:
A few grumbles have been heard around base, but Chief Master Sgt. Thomas Trottier, 21st Space Wing command chief, said the change is a positive one. "At the end of the day we are all Airmen, it doesn't matter what we're wearing. We're all the same," he said.

Mike

flyboy53

Glad to see my old wing is still in the mix.......How's Iron Mike these days...hopefully he's still on guard at the Air Force Museum?

lordmonar

Quote from: sardak on April 27, 2012, 09:42:47 PM
Here's some more on this change in a release from the 21st Space Wing: http://www.afspc.af.mil/news1/story.asp?id=123299255

"We want to create synergy among all personnel across the command," [Gen] Shelton [AFSPC/CC] said in the letter. "When personnel wear the same uniform it has a unifying effect toward mission accomplishment. Standardization among the entire command prevents the perception of a 'haves' and 'have nots' situation; the very meaning of the word 'uniform' should drive us toward standardization."

A few grumbles have been heard around base, but Chief Master Sgt. Thomas Trottier, 21st Space Wing command chief, said the change is a positive one. "At the end of the day we are all Airmen, it doesn't matter what we're wearing. We're all the same," he said.

Mike
I have always said the CAP is a lot more like the USAF then a lot out there think.
I lived through seveal changes in the USAF uniform and one "what do you think about this" change.
I remember when the flyers go their leather jackets.
I remember when space command switched from blue flight suits to green.

Same gumbeling as we have here on CAPTALK.  ;D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

Quote from: lordmonar on April 28, 2012, 12:08:14 AM
Quote from: sardak on April 27, 2012, 09:42:47 PM

Mike
I have always said the CAP is a lot more like the USAF then a lot out there think.
I lived through seveal changes in the USAF uniform and one "what do you think about this" change.
I remember when the flyers go their leather jackets.
I remember when space command switched from blue flight suits to green.

Same gumbeling as we have here on CAPTALK.  ;D

Oh no, the whining about the leather jackets was way worse then anything here on CAPTalk.
The Air Force Times almost had to switch to abestos paper because it got so heated.
I was in the first group of aircrew to get one. Sometimes it was good to be at Offutt!