Main Menu

Online UCC

Started by jjmalott, April 10, 2012, 05:36:51 PM

Chappie

Quote from: Eclipse on April 10, 2012, 05:40:30 PM
You can't learn to be a commander online.  You can learn the technical administrative stuff, but not command bearing and attitude.

I am not a fan of doing professional development like this, it's basically just checking the box and misses the point, which is the interaction
between peers.
While I think that SLS/CLC can be offered online for those whose real-life responsibilities/schedules restrict them from attending a week-end school...courses like UCC are definitely one of those events where attendance/participation is required. I concur with Eclipse's astute observation that interaction between peers..especially at this level of training and above is essential.  It is not about the material that is being presented but also the mentoring provided.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Major Carrales

Quote from: Eclipse on April 10, 2012, 05:40:30 PM
You can't learn to be a commander online.  You can learn the technical administrative stuff, but not command bearing and attitude.

I am not a fan of doing professional development like this, it's basically just checking the box and misses the point, which is the interaction
between peers.

What if you are presented with the situation where you are assigned to the position of Squadron Commander...on the job training?  Would not a UCC online couse be beneficial with the actual command as a sort of lab?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

Quote from: Eclipse on April 10, 2012, 07:26:10 PM
Quote from: jjmalott on April 10, 2012, 07:25:02 PMYou learn to command by commanding.

It's too late to start learning once you've got the badge.

You learn to be a good commander by first being a good follower and paying attention to the right mentors.

I say this, as a corollary to the thread on Term Limits, that if we are going to have people rotating into and out of the position of Unit Command because of arbitrary term limits, would it not be that some people would be placed in command way before they were ready.  As was done to me my first time in squadron command around 2001?

I have had command three times...1) in 2001 when I was given the choice that the unit would fold if I did not take command meaning that I would have to shoulder the responsibility of having killed a major unit with a proud history (man...my then Group Commander knew just where to "hit where it would" hurt a person like me) 2) In 2006 after a 2 year break from CAP after having failed the first time, where I learned a great deal while building that unit, which had degenerated to three active members.  and 3) When we charted a new Unit in a neighboring city.

That first time was a disaster...I had no idea what I was doing and the only guidance I got when asked was "its all in the regs."  Incidentally, that is why I take issues with people who use that as a generic answer to newbie's questions here.

Has there been such a course at that time that was on line, I would have greatly benefited.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on April 14, 2012, 02:43:42 AM
Quote from: EMT-83 on April 14, 2012, 02:20:56 AM
There is no requirement to be a commander to attend UCC.

Not nationally, but many wings require it.

Roger that. Only limited number of seats and we all know the new guy who wants to take every class available.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Dad2-4 on April 13, 2012, 11:05:15 PM
It took a long time for me to have the opportunity to do SLS, and when I did it was a 3 hour drive away.

I am not sure what Wing you are in. But the Wing should make SLS/CLC/UCC available to all members. In your Unit you have ten senior members who need SLS why not have it at your meeting place and three Wing Staff members fly in for the weekend and get it done?

The quality of Wings vary greatly but I would have to be the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.    >:D

SarDragon

Nice concept, but it usually fails in execution. SLS and CLC specifically require 12 contact hours, making them impractical for one day events.

NHQ will fund one SLS and one CLC per year, per wing. Anything beyond that requires other funding. In my wing, the funding apparently goes to the first class scheduled in a fiscal year. Given the size of the state, it is impractical for many members to attend, because of time and funding issues.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Private Investigator

That is why I said, "fly in for the weekend". NHQ has a budget but your Wing, CAWG sometimes has as many as four (4) SLS in a year.

In large states like Montana they should have one on the east end, next year the center, the following year west. Then back to the middle and then repeat the process. That is how I would manage it.

EMT-83

NHQ funding dried up long ago, but funding is not an issue. These courses are easily self-funding; it just takes someone taking the bull by the horns and getting it done.

Major Carrales

Quote from: EMT-83 on April 14, 2012, 10:41:20 PM
NHQ funding dried up long ago, but funding is not an issue. These courses are easily self-funding; it just takes someone taking the bull by the horns and getting it done.

I agree....these can be done somewhat locally if a group of CAP Officers needs it.  It just requires a bit of legwork.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

AdAstra

Sorry SarDragon, your brown shoes are showing!

NHQ hasn't funded a SLS and CLC each year in each wing for a very long time. Certainly not since 2005, when I became CAWG Director of Professional Development. Several years before that, I inquired of my predecessors and at least two of them had never received any monies from NHQ. The statement about funding was dropped from the CAPR 50-17 two or three revisions ago.

Back when the courses were supposedly funded, NHQ would ship curriculum material to the course director. Now, course directors must download and locally print the curriculum material.
Charles Wiest

SarDragon

Brown shoes? I was an Airdale in the Canoe Club, but never progressed far enough to wear that color of shoes.

As for funding, I only skimmed that part of the 50-17 when going through it, since my recent involvement has been minimal.

I did look up when the provision went away - as recently as September '09.

Here's the specific text:

Quotec. Funding. Each fiscal year, CAP allocates funds for support of SLS. Contact NHQ CAP/ETP for the amount. When
NHQ CAP/ETP receives a CAPF 11, CAP Senior Member Professional Development Program Director's Report
(Attachment 6), from the SLS course director, signed by the wing commander, ETP mails a check to the wing commander.

Kind of vague, if you ask me. But, water under the bridge, now.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

EMT-83

Major Carrales

This CAP COMIC I MADE A FEW YEARS AGO SAYS EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW about SQUADRON COMMAND.

Commander
SWR-TX-454