Main Menu

Online UCC

Started by jjmalott, April 10, 2012, 05:36:51 PM

jjmalott

We have an online delivery for the Basic Officer, SLS, and the CLC.  Why don't we have an online UCC?

Jeff Malott, Lt Col, CAP
National eLearning Coordinator

Eclipse

You can't learn to be a commander online.  You can learn the technical administrative stuff, but not command bearing and attitude.

I am not a fan of doing professional development like this, it's basically just checking the box and misses the point, which is the interaction
between peers.

"That Others May Zoom"

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: Eclipse on April 10, 2012, 05:40:30 PM
You can't learn to be a commander online.  You can learn the technical administrative stuff, but not command bearing and attitude.

I am not a fan of doing professional development like this, it's basically just checking the box and misses the point, which is the interaction
between peers.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Pylon

Well to be honest I think there's value in both online and in-person professional development.  As Eclipse noted, there are great benefits to be derived from networking, sharing ideas, and learning soft skills at in-residence PD.  However, I think a lot of our in-residence PD could be augmented or shortened by offering more of the technical, administrative, regulatory, etc. information via e-courses. 

Just as in the military, I have online training, annual recurring e-classes, and even distance PME courses via the web which are at some point reinforced and strengthened by in-residence PME.  Neither is wrong, but time spent during the in-residence stuff is maximized when everybody has taken certain distance/e-courses before attending.  You can spend less classroom time on dry lecture and building everyone up to a common level of knowledge and can instead focus more on the sharing, collaborating, networking, debating, answering questions/solving issues, and soft skills building.   The right balance of the two makes PD more accessible and more effective.

Our PD might be better augmented by a pre-requisite e-course for each major PD course.  In other words, before you can attend in-residence OBC, SLS, CLC, UCC, or TLC you would be required to complete an online class that covers introductory and base-level knowledge that will augment and lay a foundation for what will be taught in-residence.  I could even see the value of a more comprehensive e-course as a pre-requisite for RSC and NSC.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

jjmalott

You can't learn to be a commander online.

I think you're correct to a certain degree.  But I think you could say that about a classroom also.  You learn to command by commanding. 

This school will endeavor to show students specific areas which require command emphasis, to provide basic management skills, and to show command relationships which take place both vertically and laterally. Students will learn about processes to solve problems, save time, and keep the focus on the mission.

I like Pylon's statement that balancing the types of delivery could be more effective.

Jeff Malott, Lt Col, CAP

Eclipse

The problem with CAP online stuff is that it is generally the only PD, not just a supplement.

CAP members don't usually have a full baseline of training and expectations to fall back on, so if the only thing members are exposed to
is the academic and administrative side of running things, they are likely to struggle.

Though even saying that, having commanders and staff who are at least fully versed on regs and best practices would be a step in the right direction.
As it stands today, a lot of in-face PD ain't all that hot, either, and if you sit quietly in the last row, yo can ticket-punch without ever learning much.
The online stuff does provide a national thread and consistency, but sometimes that thread will clash with members who don't operate the same way because they have never done the same classes.  There's always some guy who wants to argue WIWAC, WIWAD, BITD, etc., and you can't correct
that stuff through a screen.

National or Regional schools for this stuff would be better across the board, including requiring existing members to catch-up, but as of today, most wings don't even require UCC to be a commander.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: jjmalott on April 10, 2012, 07:25:02 PMYou learn to command by commanding.

It's too late to start learning once you've got the badge.

You learn to be a good commander by first being a good follower and paying attention to the right mentors.

"That Others May Zoom"

jjmalott

great insight gentlemen!

Jeff Malott, Lt Col, CAP

Thrashed

I'd do a in-person UCC if it was offered. I've been waiting years. I'd do an online version today if offered.

Save the triangle thingy

Eclipse

Quote from: Thrashed on April 10, 2012, 09:09:48 PM
I'd do a in-person UCC if it was offered. I've been waiting years. I'd do an online version today if offered.

Well, I guess that's a huge part of the expectations - I'd agree it's not fair to expect people to participate
if they are never offered, and in those cases anything is better than "none".   My wing had them about once a year until the Wing CC
started mandating them for commanders, at which time we started to see them several times a year.

"That Others May Zoom"

AirDX

between peers.

You can't learn that in two days in a classroom, either.  Not that I am disagreeing with you - I am not in favor of the trend away from face-to-face intstruction in so many things.  But be realistic, you won't learn "command bearing and attitude" in two days of CAP class.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

EMT-83

I like the new UCC material. Having core topics and a choice of elective topics allows some flexibility, so the course can be tweaked depending on students or instructors.

Private Investigator

Quote from: AirDX on April 11, 2012, 12:13:06 AMBut be realistic, you won't learn "command bearing and attitude" in two days of CAP class.

The big part of UCC is networking with other Commanders. UCC also gives you great ideals on what you should be doing.

Two days is better than nothing. i.e. a housewife with Cadets in the program becomes the Squadron Commander. Do you think she has any ideal what to do besides attending meetings? How about the former military guy who was an E-4 twenty years ago and now is a handyman. You think he got the leadership thing down?

jjmalott

I view this online thread about the UCC as an avenue to get great ideas on what I should be doing.  It's also better than nothing!

Jeff Malott, Lt Col, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: AirDX on April 11, 2012, 12:13:06 AM
You can't learn that in two days in a classroom, either.[snip]..But be realistic, you won't learn "command bearing and attitude" in two days of CAP class.

Probably 99 out of 100 members will agree with that statement, BUT:

Most people are never really exposed to ANY structured leadership ideas - ever. Sure, some people may be managers, or even "responsible for" others at their jobs, families, etc, but most people have never held a true leadership position. Especially with the wild animal that is a volunteer member.

You can't expect a "yes sir" in CAP all the time, but you also can't allow "I'll do it when I do it" either. There's a middle ground, and a lot of that may or may not be in the books, but it certainly comes from experienced command staff and instructors.

The few times during college that I've had a chance to go to a CAP meeting at my old unit, the ride back home with the Squadron Commander was probably worth MONTHS of regular meetings as a cadet. The discussions we had on how he runs a squadron and motivates people who don't have to be there were quite eye opening and really fascinating.

At least to a 20 year old kid.

Dad2-4

I'm in agreement with the comments that I'd love to do an in-class course if available to avail myself of others' experiences. It took a long time for me to have the opportunity to do SLS, and when I did it was a 3 hour drive away. CLC again took a long time to get and I was very fortunate to be able to do it online. Otherwise it might have been another 2 or 3 years down the road. If and when UCC ever goes online, I'll be among the first to sign up.

Walkman

Quote from: Pylon on April 10, 2012, 07:17:57 PM
Our PD might be better augmented by a pre-requisite e-course for each major PD course.  In other words, before you can attend in-residence OBC, SLS, CLC, UCC, or TLC you would be required to complete an online class that covers introductory and base-level knowledge that will augment and lay a foundation for what will be taught in-residence.  I could even see the value of a more comprehensive e-course as a pre-requisite for RSC and NSC.

I really like that idea.

CAP_truth

The UCC class should be given to any member who wishes to become a commander. We require the course after a person has been appointed instead of requiring the training prior to an appointment. All deputy commanders and any officers wishing, should take an on line course and then receive the 2 day course after completing the first part. Even wing vice commanders or officers wing who desire to become future wing commanders should take the region and wing commanders course prior to selection as wing commander. It like taking off in an airplane before taking flight training on how to fly a plane. Changes are you can start out well and then have a rude awakening trying to get you feet back on the ground. My 2 cents.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

EMT-83

There is no requirement to be a commander to attend UCC.

Eclipse

Quote from: EMT-83 on April 14, 2012, 02:20:56 AM
There is no requirement to be a commander to attend UCC.

Not nationally, but many wings require it.

"That Others May Zoom"