RCLS

Started by shlebz, March 26, 2012, 12:18:05 AM

shlebz

My DCC keeps telling me that an RCLS is required to be able to reach the rank of C/Maj. I was under the impression that it is required to become a C/Lt. Col. So which is it?
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

davidsinn

Quote from: shlebz on March 26, 2012, 12:18:05 AM
My DCC CDC keeps telling me that an RCLS is required to be able to reach the rank of C/Maj. I was under the impression that it is required to become a C/Lt. Col. So which is it?

What do the regs say?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

shlebz

Everything i look at states it is a requirement for the Eaker Award.
http://capmembers.com/cadet_programs/stripes_to_diamonds/eaker_award.cfm
Eaker Award- "5.   Activities:   SDA Staff Service, Region Cadet Leadership School, Cadet Officer School or COS Distance Learning "

So i am right believing it is a requirement for the Eaker Award, thus making it a requirement for C/Lt Col and not for C/Maj?
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

davidsinn

Quote from: shlebz on March 26, 2012, 12:28:17 AM
Everything i look at states it is a requirement for the Eaker Award.
http://capmembers.com/cadet_programs/stripes_to_diamonds/eaker_award.cfm
Eaker Award- "5.   Activities:   SDA Staff Service, Region Cadet Leadership School, Cadet Officer School or COS Distance Learning "

So i am right believing it is a requirement for the Eaker Award, thus making it a requirement for C/Lt Col and not for C/Maj?

CAPR52-16 concurs

Quote(2) Leadership Academy. To earn the Eaker Award, cadets must complete Cadet Officer School (COS) or a Region Cadet Leadership School (RCLS).

Your CDC is incorrect.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

shlebz

How would i go about proving that? Just show them the correct reg when it comes up again? (It has came up multiple times in past conversations) I don't want to over-step my boundaries but i also don't want to be held back in rank because what they believe to be the reg is false.
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

davidsinn

Quote from: shlebz on March 26, 2012, 12:52:38 AM
How would i go about proving that? Just show them the correct reg when it comes up again? (It has came up multiple times in past conversations) I don't want to over-step my boundaries but i also don't want to be held back in rank because what they believe to be the reg is false.

It's in CAPR 52-16. Next time it comes up politely point out s/he is wrong and point them to the reg or the webpage you pulled up.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Майор Хаткевич

You are your own best advocate. If they are WRONG according to the regs, then you are not overstepping anything.

I bet they will appreciate the corrected knowledge. If they don't they have a problem, and it has nothing to do with you.

bflynn

Quote from: usafaux2004 on March 26, 2012, 04:30:44 AMI bet they will appreciate the corrected knowledge.

I'd like to think that is true, but it depends on the person.

Nathan

Quote from: bflynn on March 26, 2012, 12:15:44 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on March 26, 2012, 04:30:44 AMI bet they will appreciate the corrected knowledge.

I'd like to think that is true, but it depends on the person.

Completely irrelevent, unless your advice is that the cadet simply delay a promotion he/she is due to receieve based on the incorrect assumption of the commander. If the commander is wrong, then he needs to be corrected. That's not to say that the correction should be obnoxious, but the cadet has every right to be proactive in this situation, regardless of whether or not it hurts the commander's feelings that he/she was incorrect.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: Nathan on March 26, 2012, 03:01:32 PM
...whether or not it hurts the commander's feelings that he/she was incorrect.

If the commander does get his/her feelings hurt, then (s)he needs to reevaluate his/her attitude toward command.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

MSG Mac

Show the Deputy commander the applicable regulation. If that doesn't work have s/he to open the Cadet promotions application in E services to show that it is not required. Tell them if all other requirements have been met, just push the button, if they're correct the advancement will bounce, if not you're a C/Major.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

SamFranklin

Quote from: davidsinn on March 26, 2012, 12:19:35 AM
Quote from: shlebz on March 26, 2012, 12:18:05 AM
My DCC CDC keeps telling me that an RCLS is required to be able to reach the rank of C/Maj. I was under the impression that it is required to become a C/Lt. Col. So which is it?

What do the regs say?

The cadet asked a question and a CAPTalk contributor nitpicks the question's form, as if official office symbols are the only authorized shorthand for identifying someone.

Cadet Heberling asked a good question. Properly understood, the CAPTalk community's role is to help the cadet find a tactful way of bringing the current regulation's guidance to the boss's attention without coming across as a know-it-all or needlessly embarrassing the boss. And the flip, "what does the reg say" is unhelpful because regulations are silent when it comes to the soft, people skill of delicately showing the boss that he's wrong. No doubt that this is a valuable life skill that Cadet Heberling will need to draw upon in adult life.

I respect Capt Sinn's comments, but I believe it is an example of how CAPTalk so frequently delivers exactly the wrong message to cadets.

Eclipse

Teaching a cadet to fish is much more valuable then feeding them once.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

I tried to teach a cadet to fish, but he kept cutting the fuse too short.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Briski

First, you don't even have your Earhart yet. Don't put an artificial timeline on it; you've got time to figure out the best way to handle this situation.

Second, don't get too hung up on the mindset of proving that you're right. That's a lot easier said than done, but what's your purpose for correcting a misinterpretation of the regs, anyway? For your own benefit? Or for the benefit of the squadron?

Remember, this does not have to be an "Us vs. Them" situation. You're on the same team, so it's not about winning or losing an argument. Never underestimate the power of ego--either in you or in your SMs. It can be difficult to admit when you're wrong, but it can be even more difficult to be gracious when someone else does.

It sounds like you've been going round and round on this one with your SMs for a while now. It's important for you to stand up for what you know is right, but in these situations, it's a lot easier to come across as a whiny teenager than you realize. This is not a personal attack, but rather a simple fact of life for teenagers who have to try to communicate with adults. Watch your tone of voice and body language, in particular, because it's incredibly easy to come across as being disrespectful even when you don't mean to.

At the same time, bear in mind that even the worst commanders don't usually sit around trying to make bad decisions. If you approach a potential conflict with your SMs by assuming that they're just trying to do their jobs to the best of their ability, it will help you stay on target.

One last thought: Any chance you can attend RCLS this summer, so it won't even be an issue when it comes time for you to promote to C/Maj? :)
JACKIE M. BRISKI, Capt, CAP
VAWG Cadet Programs Team

...not all those who wander are lost...

shlebz

Quote from: Briski on March 28, 2012, 04:57:32 AM
First, you don't even have your Earhart yet. Don't put an artificial timeline on it; you've got time to figure out the best way to handle this situation.
I am recieving my Earhart next month if i pass my next test.

Second, don't get too hung up on the mindset of proving that you're right. That's a lot easier said than done, but what's your purpose for correcting a misinterpretation of the regs, anyway? For your own benefit? Or for the benefit of the squadron?

Remember, this does not have to be an "Us vs. Them" situation. You're on the same team, so it's not about winning or losing an argument. Never underestimate the power of ego--either in you or in your SMs. It can be difficult to admit when you're wrong, but it can be even more difficult to be gracious when someone else does.

It sounds like you've been going round and round on this one with your SMs for a while now. It's important for you to stand up for what you know is right, but in these situations, it's a lot easier to come across as a whiny teenager than you realize. This is not a personal attack, but rather a simple fact of life for teenagers who have to try to communicate with adults. Watch your tone of voice and body language, in particular, because it's incredibly easy to come across as being disrespectful even when you don't mean to.

I am not trying to be a pain in the butt, so to say, but I would just like to inform her so other don't have to go through it and be held back in promotion because of this. If that were to happen.

One last thought: Any chance you can attend RCLS this summer, so it won't even be an issue when it comes time for you to promote to C/Maj? :)
No, i have looked into alot of other Options. WIWG is not offering an RCLS this year, ILWG is at an inconvenient time, and MIWG is just too darned expensive. Unless I were to find an AFFORDABLE (on a 17yr olds paycheck) Winter RCLS there would be no way for me to have attended one before I reach C/Maj. or C/Lt. Col.

Edited- Inserted quote
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

Offutteer

Did you apply to COS?  NHQ pays for the airfare, so it's a little more affordable than most other out of town places.

shlebz

No i did not, I could only afford one this summer and i went with the option that i believed would be the most enjoyable for me and worth the money. (I'm not saying that any of the NCSAs are unenjoyable/boring/pointless/worthless, I'm just saying that I went with the one that I found the most fitting for me)
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

Briski

Quote from: shlebz on March 29, 2012, 08:31:58 PM
I am not trying to be a pain in the butt, so to say, but I would just like to inform her so other don't have to go through it and be held back in promotion because of this. If that were to happen.

Makes sense. I kind of got that impression from your previous posts. It sounds like you've got the right attitude.

This is a difficult situation. You have to be willing to respectfully argue for what you know is right (ie, an accurate interpretation of the regs), but it can be difficult to figure out how to communicate your point effectively so your SMs will take you seriously.

An important part of effective communication (especially in persuasion) is knowing you audience. In this case, your audience is your Deputy for Cadets.

What have you tried so far to back up your interpretation of the regs?
Has it been effective? Why or why not?
VAWG Cadet Programs Team

Briski

Btw, you don't have to answer those questions out here in the open, if you don't want to. Just a couple of questions to get you on the right track to developing your plan of action, before you hit Achievement 14. :)
VAWG Cadet Programs Team