Professionally Mounted CAP Mini Medals

Started by Pylon, March 24, 2012, 06:01:13 PM

Pylon

When I looked into having my miniature medals professionally mounted, I couldn't find any existing examples online of CAP members who have had theirs done.  CAPM 39-1 gives the options of sliding the medals onto mounting bars or having them professionally-mounted.  When mounted, you can have up to 50% horizontal overlap between medals.   

Here's the outcome of mine after I sent my medals (note for our friends at NHQ Legal: medals properly purchased from Vanguard as the official CAP supplier) to Ultrathin to have them mounted.  I opted for a 20% overlap and the 6-7 mounting option (there are two choices of how to mount in CAPM 39-1 if you're not using the DIY bars).  The service costs about $4/medal if you provide the miniature medals and I had mine back in less than 2 weeks.  Super-fast turnaround and outstanding quality.

The main difference I notice, beside the whole set looking super sharp, is that the mini-medals Vanguard sells come in wildly-varying drape lengths and Ultrathin re-draped and standardized the height of each medal so the medallions all hang at the same height.  You cannot get that using the DIY mounting bars.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

manfredvonrichthofen

That's the same way I did my full size medals when I was in the Army. The only difference was that I used metal for the backing instead of clear plastic. The reason for that is when you put them on the jacket you can give it a slight bend so that it curves on your chest, instead of sticking straight out making a flat plate sitting on your jacket. But it looks like a really good job, the kind of job I would expect from ultrathin, I wouldn't expect anywhere near that quality from vanguard.

MIKE

Mike Johnston

manfredvonrichthofen

Pylon, can you tell what kind of glue they used?

We used hot glue but it would only hold for about a month... If I make a new set, I don't want to have to remake it constantly, though I wouldn't wear it but once or twice a year. Yet still I don't want it to come apart on me.

BillB

OMG,  Mike has a Ranger patch for his signature  Wonder what Mode he is in?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

bflynn

Wow, I thought that read Moder Anger    >:D