Will Civil Air Patrol get DCU or ABU?

Started by KERALA, March 18, 2012, 01:28:18 PM

titanII

Quote from: SARDOC on April 18, 2012, 04:21:56 AM
How is it Fair and dignified and cohesive team building if we have some of our members that can't even wear the same uniform?  It creates and artificial division among some folks.
...we already have some members that can't wear certain uniforms.
I guess I'm confused. Are you refuting my idea, SARDOC, or are you expressing your dislike for the current uniform system?
Quote from: Littleguy on April 18, 2012, 04:31:54 AM
We'll lose a lot of connectivity with the USAF personnel who see us, and we'll be less on the same page as them IE on the Air Force team. I hate to say it really badly, but looks are important for organizations.
We're already wearing a uniform that NOBODY in the US Air Force wears (BDU's). Why would it he so bad if we changed the camo to a more mission effective color scheme? That's all I'm advocating. BDU's with a different color (that isn't camo).
No longer active on CAP talk

AngelWings

Quote from: titanII on April 18, 2012, 05:18:58 AM
Quote from: SARDOC on April 18, 2012, 04:21:56 AM
How is it Fair and dignified and cohesive team building if we have some of our members that can't even wear the same uniform?  It creates and artificial division among some folks.
...we already have some members that can't wear certain uniforms.
I guess I'm confused. Are you refuting my idea, SARDOC, or are you expressing your dislike for the current uniform system?
Quote from: Littleguy on April 18, 2012, 04:31:54 AM
We'll lose a lot of connectivity with the USAF personnel who see us, and we'll be less on the same page as them IE on the Air Force team. I hate to say it really badly, but looks are important for organizations.
We're already wearing a uniform that NOBODY in the US Air Force wears (BDU's). Why would it he so bad if we changed the camo to a more mission effective color scheme? That's all I'm advocating. BDU's with a different color (that isn't camo).
Because it atleast was a recent USAF uniform, and if we get ABU's, we'll be back on track. Don't let the previous generation of berry board sufferers sway your opinion to want to get away from the USAF uniforms, they're traumatized for life.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Littleguy on April 18, 2012, 05:33:17 AM
Don't let the previous generation of berry board sufferers sway your opinion to want to get away from the USAF uniforms, they're traumatized for life.

I'm one of those.  I came into CAP just too late for the blue epaulettes and hard rank.

All of my initial contacts in CAP were very demoralised (and some quite bitter) about the berry boards and losing a visible connection because of the stupidity of a few.

My feeling about the ABU's is that I hope we'll get them...and I'm a little burnt that AFROTC/JROTC gets them, not to mention SDF Air Wings who have no connection to the USAF, except through the ANG.  I'm not holding my breath, though.

However, I get even more burnt with those who trumpet looking as un-like the USAF as possible.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

AngelWings

Quote from: CyBorg on April 18, 2012, 07:01:56 AM
Quote from: Littleguy on April 18, 2012, 05:33:17 AM
Don't let the previous generation of berry board sufferers sway your opinion to want to get away from the USAF uniforms, they're traumatized for life.

I'm one of those.  I came into CAP just too late for the blue epaulettes and hard rank.

All of my initial contacts in CAP were very demoralised (and some quite bitter) about the berry boards and losing a visible connection because of the stupidity of a few.

My feeling about the ABU's is that I hope we'll get them...and I'm a little burnt that AFROTC/JROTC gets them, not to mention SDF Air Wings who have no connection to the USAF, except through the ANG.  I'm not holding my breath, though.

However, I get even more burnt with those who trumpet looking as un-like the USAF as possible.
Not only do we look different than the USAF today, we mess everything up for the generations to come. We'll get them, and the crowd of anti-uniform people will retreat.

I think it is funny, really, that we are not excited to get the new ABU's. In JROTC (I hate to keep bringing it up, but it sometimes offers a great comparison) we are all PUMPED to get the new ASU dress blues, which for freshmen this year will be in their junior year. Maybe that's the difference, the motivation of all to get a new uniform.

spreilly

I'd like an ABU outfitted in Woodland Camo. That'd fit the bill...

manfredvonrichthofen

That would just be the BDU, the ABU is the same cut as the BDU, just a different pattern.

jeders

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 23, 2012, 02:51:18 PM
That would just be the BDU, the ABU is the same cut as the BDU, just a different pattern.
But, but, but... it has more pen pockets.  ::)
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Basher

Quote from: jeders on April 23, 2012, 03:32:33 PM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 23, 2012, 02:51:18 PM
But, but, but... it has more pen pockets.  ::)
The ABU is made out of different materials too, right? If we could just get ABUs with the BDU camo pattern on them, I would be okay with that.
Sergeant Pain

manfredvonrichthofen

The ABU fabric is already really hot, and it has issues because it doesn't breathe well. Making it a darker pattern would just make things worse.

Plus, I plan on getting my ABUs in rip-stop, not that heavy junk. The Army really had it together when they made the ACU.

abdsp51

Rip-stop is not approved for ABUs.  And the so called light weight ABUs are not approved for general wear AF wide just yet.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: abdsp51 on April 23, 2012, 04:07:50 PM
Rip-stop is not approved for ABUs.  And the so called light weight ABUs are not approved for general wear AF wide just yet.

Let's hope it gets approved, there are plenty of suppliers of rip-stop ABUs that it wouldn't be a problem. The regular ABU is thicker than winter weight BDUs.

abdsp51

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 23, 2012, 04:11:09 PM
Rip-stop is not approved for ABUs.  And the so called light weight ABUs are not approved for general wear AF wide just yet.w

Let's hope it gets approved, there are plenty of suppliers of rip-stop ABUs that it wouldn't be a problem. The regular ABU is thicker than winter weight BDUs.

Who ya telling I wear them daily and wouldnt mind a lighter approved version.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: abdsp51 on April 23, 2012, 04:19:38 PM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 23, 2012, 04:11:09 PM
Rip-stop is not approved for ABUs.  And the so called light weight ABUs are not approved for general wear AF wide just yet.w

Who ya telling I wear them daily and wouldnt mind a lighter approved version.
Oh, I know you know, you know?
I couldnt stand to wear them daily as they are now. I fell in love with my ACUs when I put them on. When I first got them they were stiff as snot, and I washed them ten times straight, even throwing them in the dryer after each wash, and I am yet to find anything more comfortable. The fabric feels like lounging clothes once they are worn in, and it's too bad the Air Force didn't follow suit with their fabric. I think they should have just used the ACU and changed the pattern, the cut is great, and it makes everything so much easier when you are comfortable in what you are wearing, and having a jacket that doesn't have the extra pockets at the bottom is nice when you can't even use them for anything.

titanII

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 23, 2012, 04:26:18 PM
I think they should have just used the ACU and changed the pattern, the cut is great
A hearty second to that, Sir. The Army really got it right with that design. The Air Force, it seems to me, didn't really try to make any huge improvements on the BDU when they were designing the ABU. (besides camo pattern, of course)
No longer active on CAP talk

abdsp51

There have been alot of issues with the ACUs blowing seams early out.  And the big thing that troops were complaining about is the velcro.

manfredvonrichthofen

Two deployments, and no seam blow outs or Velcro problems.

I didn't let those idiots that we're "sizing" us for our ACUs, I got them the right size that I thought they should be, and they worked great! I know some of our heavier guys had blow out problems, but once they ordered replacements, and got them one size bigger, all was right in the world.

I have no idea about the Velcro problems, unless it was due to washing them without the Velcro closed and other junk got into them, but again, no issues.

I guess they were just perfect for me.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 23, 2012, 05:29:05 PM

I didn't let those idiots that we're "sizing" us for our ACUs, I got them the right size that I thought they should be, and they worked great! I know some of our heavier guys had blow out problems, but once they ordered replacements, and got them one size bigger, all was right in the world.

I have no idea about the Velcro problems, unless it was due to washing them without the Velcro closed and other junk got into them, but again, no issues.

I heard that sand was embedding itself into the pile and making it impossible to close.

manfredvonrichthofen

Hmmm, that's a new one on me. I didnt have any problems with it, and I would think being where I was in Iraq it would have happened to me. But maybe I just got really lucky, I know the Velcro on the old body armor was crap. It tore up before anything really happened anywhere else on your uniform. I know I replaced I myself before I even changed the batteries on my scope.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: abdsp51 on April 23, 2012, 05:11:02 PM
There have been alot of issues with the ACUs blowing seams early out.  And the big thing that troops were complaining about is the velcro.

I am over the Velcro. I am not sure what problem it was a solution for, but I am not a fan. When I redeployed, one of the first things I did was get sewn on all that is now able to be sewn on.

I don't mind the fabric/cut (and I have had one or two seams resewn), but my biggest complaint is the camouflage pattern. It doesn't seem particularly effective in most terrain. (But if we ever go to war in a gravel pit...)
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

RogueLeader

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 23, 2012, 05:29:05 PM

I don't know how many times my tapes got stuck to my sleeves or "traded" flags or patches when passing another troop. And I ALWAYS  washed my uniforms with all patches on. Never had a seam bust.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340