Will Civil Air Patrol get DCU or ABU?

Started by KERALA, March 18, 2012, 01:28:18 PM

FARRIER

Quote from: Bullitt on March 23, 2012, 10:16:54 AM
I dislike the ABU. When I was in the AF, I felt it had no tactical purpose as it was winter weight, looked white when it faded, and the pockets didnt differ much from the BDU's. I also dislike the cost. When senior leadership began "socializing" (showing off the uniform before it was authorized for all to wear) the uniform, they pitched how cost savings in dry cleaning would make up for the added cost. As some have posted, the cost is riddiculous!

We in CAP are not a tactical force, and shouldnt require a tactical uniform. We shouldnt be mandated, as volunteeers to have to go out and purchase ABU's so we "fit in" with the AF. We need a uniform that is fair in price, durable, and practical. I thing the current woodland uniforms are satisfactory and should no longer be "AF Style" but CAP distinctive. I also like the midnight blue BDU's and wouldnt mind those as an overall replacement should CAP decide to do away with BDU's.

When I was in CAP, we wore the OD green fatigues and I was excited about the chance to wear BDU's.

The OD green was a tactical uniform. I wore it too when I was a cadet.  We didn't wear it then because we were a tactical force, but because we wore same work and dress uniforms of our parent organization. Its has been that way historically, with minor alterations. In short, its tradition.

Respectfully,
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

titanII

Quote from: Bullitt on March 23, 2012, 10:16:54 AM
When I was in CAP, we wore the OD green fatigues and I was excited about the chance to wear BDU's.
Well what about the current people in CAP wearing BDU's, excited about a possible chance to wear ABU's.....?
No longer active on CAP talk

abdsp51

From my understanding it's still going to be a few months before uniforms are put before the board. IMO we should let the process in place work it's course.  If and when it's approved then lets get worked up over it, however there will be a huge cost to members over the phase in time.

manfredvonrichthofen

And it's not a cost I am too happy about, but will I pay the extra that it costs over the BBDU? Yes.

abdsp51

I believe the BBDU is way cheaper than the ABU. Especially throwning in the sage boots which are by no means cheap, even with the prices I pay it still may be an exspensive deal for folks.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: abdsp51 on March 24, 2012, 01:46:49 AM
I believe the BBDU is way cheaper than the ABU. Especially throwning in the sage boots which are by no means cheap, even with the prices I pay it still may be an exspensive deal for folks.

An interesting point, a lot of times the discussion does come down to the boots.

In this hypothetical case of CAP getting the ABU, what would the odds be, that part of our "distinctiveness" will be black leather boots? :P

Sapper168

If we get ABU's there will be a long phase out date of BDu's.  Ideally that is so the new uniform items can be bought over time so its not such a large chunk of money all at the same time, you know... boots this month, uniform in a couple months, hat and whatever a few months later...   That way the BDU can be worn until you acquire a whole ABU uniniform.

Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Eclipse

Quote from: usafaux2004 on March 24, 2012, 02:39:31 AMIn this hypothetical case of CAP getting the ABU, what would the odds be, that part of our "distinctiveness" will be black leather boots?

One can hope - those boots are useless to CAP members and not dual-purpose, which means another thing in the closet for twice-a-quarter wear.

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

If boots are a distinctive item for us I would rather see tan boots, not for functionality purposes or anything, but because of tan boots matching the uniform better than black boots. I have seen all three worn with the ABU on Campbell, and tan looks much much much better than black boots. It is just aweful.

Eclipse

If we have to go suede, at least you can approximate the tan at Wal*Mart, so I'd take those over the sage.
Just allow us to go sans blousing like on the BBDU and then you'll hardly see them.

Beat up, poorly cared-for black boots look a lot better than beat-up, poorly cared-for tan or sage.

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

I found a pair of sage boots for around $80... think they only had them in 8EEE though.  There are way more tan boots available at "budget" prices.
Mike Johnston

AngelWings

Tan boots are much easier to come by nowadays for cheaper prices, high quality, and different styles. The tan boots look much better than the sage green boots IMHO. Plus, I've heard a lot of airmen say they want the tan boots, so if we get tan boots... oh wait, the AFI's only allow tan boots in theater. Pushing for an item used specifically on a deployment MIGHT peturb Ma Blue.

abdsp51

IMHO AF should have stuck with tan period and not this sage thing.  Personally AF has bigger issues than to worry about uniforms right now.   

MSG Mac

Quote from: abdsp51 on March 24, 2012, 04:19:29 AM
IMHO AF should have stuck with tan period and not this sage thing.  Personally AF has bigger issues than to worry about uniforms right now.   

The Defense Department was established almost 65 years ago and you would think that between the several services they could come to some agreement on a common utility uniform, especially when they're being told to save dollars in a big way. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

AngelWings

Quote from: MSG Mac on March 24, 2012, 04:32:25 AM
Quote from: abdsp51 on March 24, 2012, 04:19:29 AM

The Defense Department was established almost 65 years ago and you would think that between the several services they could come to some agreement on a common utility uniform, especially when they're being told to save dollars in a big way.
+1

abdsp51

Outside of the BDU that was in each branch highly doubtful that will happen.

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on March 24, 2012, 03:31:19 AM
If we have to go suede, at least you can approximate the tan at Wal*Mart, so I'd take those over the sage.
Just allow us to go sans blousing like on the BBDU and then you'll hardly see them.

Beat up, poorly cared-for black boots look a lot better than beat-up, poorly cared-for tan or sage.

+ 100 on that one. My beat up, well cared for black boots still look good, even after 20+ years of wear.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

manfredvonrichthofen

Yes but beat up black boots still don't look good with ABU.

So far as the defense department goes with the uniform issue, it has been said quite a few times that they want all branches back in the same field uniform. They already do it in theater, and that is for a very big important reason.

abdsp51

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on March 24, 2012, 01:12:57 PM

So far as the defense department goes with the uniform issue, it has been said quite a few times that they want all branches back in the same field uniform. They already do it in theater, and that is for a very big important reason.

The DoD may want everyone in the same uniform but  each branch is set right now on their own identity and distinct uniforms. 

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: abdsp51 on March 24, 2012, 01:43:58 PM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on March 24, 2012, 01:12:57 PM

The DoD may want everyone in the same uniform but  each branch is set right now on their own identity and distinct uniforms.
Yes they are, but they still look like junks but I must admit, the ACU is the most comfortable uniform I have ever worn, wash them ten times and they feel like PJs. Just too bad USAF didn't go with the ACU fabric and cut for the ABU.