Will Civil Air Patrol get DCU or ABU?

Started by KERALA, March 18, 2012, 01:28:18 PM

billford1

Quote from: usafaux2004 on March 20, 2012, 01:01:16 AM
Quote from: billford1 on March 20, 2012, 01:00:03 AM
Whenever the ABU is introduced for CAP I hope they retire one of the uniforms we now use even if not everyone is eligible to wear the ABU.

IF it is introduced, it will slowly phase out BDUs which will be "running out".

IF.
If that's the case the phase out will mean another uniform that will I'm sure look great but the BDU will be there for quite a while. I've seen GTs with four different uniforms. I'll get a bigger laugh to see five uniform types on a GT or any field activily.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: billford1 on March 20, 2012, 01:33:53 AM
Whenever the ABU is introduced for CAP I hope they retire one of the uniforms we now use even if not everyone is eligible to wear the ABU.

IF.
If that's the case, and I'm sure you're right the phase out will mean another uniform that will I'm sure look great. I've seen GTs with four different uniforms. I'll get a bigger laugh to see five.

I know I've been out of the loop, but since when have flight suits and polos been allowed on ground teams?

davidsinn

Quote from: usafaux2004 on March 20, 2012, 01:37:39 AM

IF.
If that's the case, and I'm sure you're right the phase out will mean another uniform that will I'm sure look great. I've seen GTs with four different uniforms. I'll get a bigger laugh to see five.

I know I've been out of the loop, but since when have flight suits and polos been allowed on ground teams?

They're not disallowed...
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

They've never not been.

Nothing says you have to wear BDUs, I wear my jumpsuit all the time, especially on low impact summer stuff.

All depends on where you're gonna be and what you're doing, though a 180 dollar flight suit will not stand up to brambles very long.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on March 20, 2012, 01:42:16 AM
They've never not been.

Nothing says you have to wear BDUs, I wear my jumpsuit all the time, especially on low impact summer stuff.

All depends on wear you're gonna be and what you're doing, though a 180 dollar flight suit will not stand up to brambles very long.

But I've never seen such a team assembled. Quite honestly? Mindblown if it actually happens.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

billford1

Quote from: davidsinn on March 20, 2012, 01:39:07 AM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on March 20, 2012, 01:37:39 AM

IF.

They're not disallowed...
With the blue utility uniform thrown in as well we've got quite a collection.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: usafaux2004 on March 20, 2012, 01:43:14 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on March 20, 2012, 01:42:16 AM
They've never not been.

All depends on wear you're gonna be and what you're doing, though a 180 dollar flight suit will not stand up to brambles very long.

But I've never seen such a team assembled. Quite honestly? Mindblown if it actually happens.

I've worn a polo and Gray BDU's in the field before (they were hemmed so that they didn't need to be tucked, that would look odd). I think I'm going to spring for some Propper tac pants and start wearing it again on the "low impact" (as Eclipse put it) stuff.

ol'fido

BITD, I saw people wear blues for ground team, to fly, or do anything else on a mission. The requirement is to be in uniform. It doesn't specify what uniform. Just my .02.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

manfredvonrichthofen

Thought the 39-1 does say that the BDU is worn anytime it is impractical or inappropriate to wear the service uniforms. Ground operations sound to me like inappropriate and impractical both.

NCRblues

Quote from: MSG Mac on March 19, 2012, 05:37:37 PM
They did!

DoD policy prevents the transfer, donation, and sale of digitized camouflage pattern uniforms to anyone outside the USAF with very few exceptions. Unfortunately Civil Air Patrol is not one of the exceptions. This prohibition is necessary to protect the unique technologies used in developing the uniform.

The National Board has placed a hold on all uniform changes pending a review of the entire CAP uniform structure. This review is ongoing by the CAP National Uniform Committee and a draft report will be presented to the Summer National Board Meeting in Baltimore in August 2012. The presentation will be available online via web stream but all CAP members are encouraged to attend.

From the National News Feed Dec 28, 2011

To bad that "DOD Policy" only existed in someone or a few people's head at NHQ. No supporting evidence has been found by several members (including myself) looking for the actual DOD policy. It's not real. Not saying it was a vast conspiracy, but I believe it was an idea that went to far to fast and they could not pull it back. One of those "you can't put the words back in your mouth" kinds of thing.

Its also like the "2 year uniform change halt" that ended by now...
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Майор Хаткевич

Is it really so bad to have uniforms that are more stable than elements 117-120?

a2capt

Eclipse

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on March 20, 2012, 03:49:26 AM
Thought the 39-1 does say that the BDU is worn anytime it is impractical or inappropriate to wear the service uniforms. Ground operations sound to me like inappropriate and impractical both.

"Ground Ops" can mean everything from ramp checks to survival camping.  As long as you have the right gear, there's no reason ramp checks, door-to-door
well-being checks, ground photo surveys (which, BTW, are becoming a staple of Evals), shelter surveys (ditto), can't be done in blues, whites, golf, or even mess dress for that matter.

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

Quote from: Eclipse on March 20, 2012, 01:46:27 PM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on March 20, 2012, 03:49:26 AM

"Ground Ops" can mean everything from ramp checks to survival camping.  As long as you have the right gear, there's no reason ramp checks, door-to-door
well-being checks, ground photo surveys (which, BTW, are becoming a staple of Evals), shelter surveys (ditto), can't be done in blues, whites, golf, or even mess dress for that matter.
When it is good conditions, it doesn't matter. But there are many factors that can change that.

PHall

Quote from: a2capt on March 20, 2012, 04:46:40 AM

Tom Lehrer CHEMISTRY element song

My parents were big time Tom Lehrer fans. If you listen to that song enough times you will learn the periodic table.
At least good enough to pass HS chemistry. ;)

Eclipse

We used to listen to him on 45's.  Who's Next?!!

"That Others May Zoom"

titanII

Quote from: Eclipse on March 20, 2012, 08:36:02 PM
We used to listen to him on 45's.
Like, the pistol cartridge?    >:D

Sarcasm. I know what you meant
No longer active on CAP talk

ol'fido

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Bullitt

I dislike the ABU. When I was in the AF, I felt it had no tactical purpose as it was winter weight, looked white when it faded, and the pockets didnt differ much from the BDU's. I also dislike the cost. When senior leadership began "socializing" (showing off the uniform before it was authorized for all to wear) the uniform, they pitched how cost savings in dry cleaning would make up for the added cost. As some have posted, the cost is riddiculous!

We in CAP are not a tactical force, and shouldnt require a tactical uniform. We shouldnt be mandated, as volunteeers to have to go out and purchase ABU's so we "fit in" with the AF. We need a uniform that is fair in price, durable, and practical. I thing the current woodland uniforms are satisfactory and should no longer be "AF Style" but CAP distinctive. I also like the midnight blue BDU's and wouldnt mind those as an overall replacement should CAP decide to do away with BDU's.

When I was in CAP, we wore the OD green fatigues and I was excited about the chance to wear BDU's.