Maybe CAP will one day wear Berets?

Started by GTRanger, February 18, 2012, 01:16:21 AM

Flying Pig

Quote from: PHall on February 26, 2012, 09:38:20 PM
Quote from: NCRblues on February 26, 2012, 07:50:12 PM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on February 26, 2012, 07:47:46 PM
Quote from: NCRblues on February 26, 2012, 07:29:55 PM
Quote from: blackrain on February 26, 2012, 04:23:30 PM
One downside I see for AF SF still using berets it is if I'm a terrorist attacking a base my snipers will first target anyone wearing a beret.

So... they will get the front gate e-2 or e-3... then the call for shots fired will go out, and all the cops will put on helmets...
All the bases I've been to (that had a gate) had a TSgt. Or higher on duty...

Though they would likely put helnets on like you said...

Never ever have I seen an e-6 or higher work the gate.... :o

Come by March ARB sometime. They have TSgt's on gate duty all of the time.
Of course they're the shift supervisor covering for SrA or A1C while they go eat, but they're still on gate duty.

Ever been to Davis Monthan?  Was there 2 months ago.  The contracted civilian security working the gate was a freaking joke.  Its was literally a bunch of old ladies with Beretta M-9s and uniforms that were about 3 sizes to large.  The military guards on all the inner gates werent even armed.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Flying Pig on February 27, 2012, 04:50:27 AM
One downside I see for AF SF still using berets it is if I'm a terrorist attacking a base my snipers will first target anyone wearing a beret.

So... they will get the front gate e-2 or e-3... then the call for shots fired will go out, and all the cops will put on helmets...

Of course they're the shift supervisor covering for SrA or A1C while they go eat, but they're still on gate duty.

Ever been to Davis Monthan?  Was there 2 months ago.  The contracted civilian security working the gate was a freaking joke.  Its was literally a bunch of old ladies with Beretta M-9s and uniforms that were about 3 sizes to large.  The military guards on all the inner gates werent even armed.
No, but one wing event we had to sit at the gate for 45 minutes before a MP showed up. The contractors wouldn't let CAP vans in.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

SPD6696

Quote from: NCRblues on February 27, 2012, 04:06:34 AM
Quote from: SPD6696 on February 27, 2012, 03:53:33 AM
and quit trying to find ways to bend or flex or break the rules.

HA, man I don't know what military you served in, but the one I served in...EVERYONE tried to bend/flex/break the "rules" as much as they could. Heck, I am pretty sure that's the norm in almost every organization. Its just learning to walk that line of what you can do and what you cant do and get away with.

What's that old saying.... "You aint tryin if you aint cheatin"...

One with strong NCOs, at least when I was a boot.  Example:  Back in the day, the Marine Corps had a zero to 3" reg on hair cuts.  OK.  That's the reg.  However, if my TL, or SL, or PSG, or Company Gunny, or 1st Sgt told me to have a high and tight, well, I had a high and tight.  Unless I felt like having duty, cleaning, pushups, extra "training", etc.  Maybe it's about discipline, rather than shamming.
"You are
  What you do
  When it counts." - Steakley, "Armor"

"If you can't do something smart, do something right."

PHall

It seems that the Active Duty bases have gone to Contractors for gate duty, probably because of the fact that Active Duty Cops get deployed, a lot!
The cops you see day to day at March are on AGR tours. They made the decision a few years ago that the AGR troops were a better investment then dealing with Billy Joe Bob's Security Company. They have total control over the AGR troops while contractors only have to do what their contract says.
Not saying that all private security folks are bad, but there's enough to give all of them a bad rep.

Flying Pig

The ones at DM AFB look liked like the uniformed security Ive seen at the local field worker bars in central CA!

Shawn W.

QuoteWell, we already know that it's gonna be a long time before we can wear the A's... I personally think it would look pretty stylish. I've seen guys in woodland BDUs wearing berets, cant remember where or why exactly, and it looked pretty cool.

I earned my Blue Beret from NBB in 2008.. I wear it with my BDUs' to squadron meetings only. Personally I think it would look horrendous with the dress blues. With the BDUs I think it looks pretty neat.

Thanks,

S.W.

GroundHawg

Quote from: ol'fido on February 27, 2012, 12:41:53 AM
Quote from: PA Guy on February 26, 2012, 10:25:33 PM
I think someone already beat you to it.  The old Challenger program in OR/WA wore a blaze orange beret I believe.
Canadian Forces SARTECHs were probably the first.

Pathfinder grads wore them back in the day as well.

ol'fido

Quote from: PHall on February 27, 2012, 05:33:10 AM

It seems that the Active Duty bases have gone to Contractors for gate duty, probably because of the fact that Active Duty Cops get deployed, a lot!
The cops you see day to day at March are on AGR tours. They made the decision a few years ago that the AGR troops were a better investment then dealing with Billy Joe Bob's Security Company. They have total control over the AGR troops while contractors only have to do what their contract says.
Not saying that all private security folks are bad, but there's enough to give all of them a bad rep.
One day me and two other Seniors are coming back on base( I won't say which one) and we get chosen for the random bomb/weapons check. Very professional so far from the civilian security guards until they start the actual search. We are standing around the vehicle while they search and the one guy bends over to check under the seat and practically shoves his M9 into my hand. I mean he is so close that I could literally open my hand, wrap it around the grip, and draw the weapon. All that would have been required was to unsnap the retaining strap. The other two Seniors with me were a Illinois State Police officer and a Chief of Police and I will have 20 yrs as a Corrections Officer in September. I looked at them and they looked at me and we all just rolled our eyes. We didn't say anything to the guards but went on our way, but the subject of conversation for several minutes was "What if we weren't the good guys?".

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

The CyBorg is destroyed

^^Sounds about like some of the less-than-bright bulb CBP personnel I've encountered coming back from Canada.  The older ones are usually good and don't pull you in for secondary without a reason, but some of the younger ones have a power trip on.

I've never encountered it going to Canada, but coming back into my own country is a bit ridiculous.

If the civilian contractors hired for security on bases are no better than that... :o

At least they don't wear berets. ;D
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

MSG Mac

I was at the National Board meeting in San Diego in the mid 1990's when the Wing Staff went to Tijauna for dinner. On the way back across the border I heard an Immigration officer asking someone, what is your citizenship? USA!, ok What is the Capital of the United States? New York City. He was allowed to enter the US.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

BillB

He is 100% correct on his answer of New York City. It was the First Capital of the United States. Where George Washington took the Oath of Office as President.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Danger

Berets are permitable, if you have gone to NBB- Blue Beret, an NCSA I'd really love to go to next year; after I have finished encampment this year.
"Never take anything too seriously."

manfredvonrichthofen

It is an optional uniform item that wing kings can allow for one purpose or another. You might petitio THROUGH YOUR CHAIN OF COMMAND of course. INWg allows them for GTMs.

Grumpy

Well CA doesn't allow it, thank God.  I wore that hot thing for years.  It's hot and doesn't shade your eyes, shows dirt and lint.

manfredvonrichthofen

I hear that a lot. And I can understand it, but luckily I never had that issue, and I still don't. I guess I am just lucky.

MSG Mac

Quote from: BillB on May 28, 2012, 11:26:24 PM
He is 100% correct on his answer of New York City. It was the First Capital of the United States. Where George Washington took the Oath of Office as President.
But it wasn't the capital in 1992, and it wasn't the only question he missed. BTW Philadelphia, Harrisburg, and Annapolis were also capitals of the United States until the district of Columbia was established and the CApital was finally built.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Grumpy

Quote from: MSG Mac on May 29, 2012, 04:02:48 PM
But it wasn't the capital in 1992, and it wasn't the only question he missed. BTW Philadelphia, Harrisburg, and Annapolis were also capitals of the United States until the district of Columbia was established and the CApital was finally built.

Wow, history classes!  I love it!

Extremepredjudice

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_capitals_in_the_United_States#Former_national_Capitals

Wrong. Philly was.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

ßτε

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on May 29, 2012, 04:38:03 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_capitals_in_the_United_States#Former_national_Capitals

Wrong. Philly was.
Well, you are both right. Philadelphia was the first Capital with the Continental Congress as well as the Articles of Confederation. New York was the first Capital of the United States Congress under the Constitution of the United States.

Al Sayre

^^  Maybe but they are all the wrong answer to the question.  A real American would answer "How the hell should I know?  Why are you asking me these stupid questions?" Only a commie spy would know all that stuff ;)
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787