Badges for cadets

Started by cadetesman, February 15, 2012, 02:39:04 AM

cadetesman

I'm just a bit confused. I currently have GES and an additional specialty of UDF, what else do I need to do, as a cadet, to earn a basic ES badge? Also, how can I earn a Comm badge and IT badge?

I am not just wanting to do this for "bling", I genuinely want to work for these, so I can be more of a service to CAP.

Thank you,

C/Ssgt.

arajca

Check the pamphlets for the appropriate specialty tracks. 214 is comm. Not sure of the others.

Extremepredjudice

I'd set my sights on one, and work towards that...

Basically you want technician rating requirements and wing king aproval.

Also, pick one that you'll enjoy and your squadron can do. For example, if your squadron doesn't do ES forget the ES badge

Capmembers has the stuff you need.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Eclipse

ES is Track 213: http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P213_D7D06924C06B4.pdf

To earn the badge as a cadet you must complete the requirements of the Technician Level Rating.  You will earn the badge, but not
the rating.

See page three of the above document.  Completion will require service as Asst. ESO and 3 missions, among other staff service.

"That Others May Zoom"

vento

You have to be a Cadet IT Officer in order to wear the basic badge. You can't earn the technician rating.
See page 9 of this pamphlet for more info
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/P227_7591C52DB2458.pdf

Private Investigator

For the Communications Badge what makes it hard for Cadets to earn is logging on to radio nets. 25% over the period of one year is apprx 60 log ins. (52 weeks x 5 days = 260 possible - holidays, etc = 240 x .25 = 60) That is what our Wing DC finds acceptable.

Of course some Wings do not run NETS so you can not get no log ins so no Comm Badge.   

SarDragon

Got a Q for the OP here.

What's your goal here? Is it some bling for your uniform? Or is it some training and skills within CAP that will make you a productive member, and just happen to have a badge to go along with the qualification? Your apparent motive sounds more like the first.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Extremepredjudice

He said he wasn't going for bling.

And also congratz on the wright brothers!
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

SarDragon

I asked him, not you. And I did read the post. The wording was a bit ambiguous, hence my question.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: Private Investigator on February 15, 2012, 07:57:45 AM
For the Communications Badge what makes it hard for Cadets to earn is logging on to radio nets. 25% over the period of one year is apprx 60 log ins. (52 weeks x 5 days = 260 possible - holidays, etc = 240 x .25 = 60) That is what our Wing DC finds acceptable.

Of course some Wings do not run NETS so you can not get no log ins so no Comm Badge.

Run a local net on your own schedule.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

25% of 0 is 0. Viola, requirement met. Or, do what Eclipse said - daily nets are pretty pointless anyways, weekly at the most (since any more a net is just a confidence check of your radio equipment).

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on February 15, 2012, 01:45:30 PM

Run a local net on your own schedule.

Must be nice living within LOS of other members... ;) I can't hit a repeater or another member.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: davidsinn on February 15, 2012, 02:29:49 PM
Must be nice living within LOS of other members... ;) I can't hit a repeater or another member.

You can basically run a net anytime there are a handful of people standing around with radios.  Staff meetings, unit meetings, other activities, breakfast on Sun, etc.

My wing has, on a few occasions, coordinated with an evening highbird to run a net.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on February 15, 2012, 02:44:51 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on February 15, 2012, 02:29:49 PM

You can basically run a net anytime there are a handful of people standing around with radios.  Staff meetings, unit meetings, other activities, breakfast on Sun, etc.

My wing has, on a few occasions, coordinated with an evening highbird to run a net.

There's not much point in running a net with ISRs. That's actually the only way we could do it because my unit only has 1 VHF.

Sent from my HTC Incredible 2 using Tapatalk
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

lordmonar

Really?

25% of 0 is............anyone? Anyone?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: davidsinn on February 15, 2012, 06:47:40 PMThere's not much point in running a net with ISRs. That's actually the only way we could do it because my unit only has 1 VHF.

There's not really much point to the nets, period, but when you need to get something done for a rating, or whatever, you sometimes need to be creative.

Net is net.

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

Quote from: Eclipse on February 15, 2012, 09:01:47 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on February 15, 2012, 06:47:40 PMThere's not much point in running a net with ISRs. That's actually the only way we could do it because my unit only has 1 VHF.

There's not really much point to the nets, period, but when you need to get something done for a rating, or whatever, you sometimes need to be creative.

Net is net.
If the wing isn't doing nets, have a Group or even Squadron nets.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

davidsinn

Quote from: MSG Mac on February 15, 2012, 09:17:28 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on February 15, 2012, 09:01:47 PM

Net is net.
If the wing isn't doing nets, have a Group or even Squadron nets.
Group physically can not hold a net. Too big of a whole in the middle. My unit only has ISRs. A net where you can still see the other person is useless. Also I am constitutionally incapable of doing something just to do it. >:D

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

MSG Mac

Theres not one other squadron that's in VHF proximity of your unit? As for the use of ISR nets it can be done and if nothing else is a training opportunity in communications.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

davidsinn

Quote from: MSG Mac on February 15, 2012, 11:11:33 PM
Theres not one other squadron that's in VHF proximity of your unit? As for the use of ISR nets it can be done and if nothing else is a training opportunity in communications.

Not a one.

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn