What are the regimental ties used for?

Started by Extremepredjudice, January 26, 2012, 12:02:17 AM

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

SarDragon

At the risk of sounding snarky, let's look at this in steps.

1. Where did you learn about the regimental tie? CAPM 39-1 or elsewhere?

2. If the 39-1, what does the manual say about this tie?

3. If elsewhere, proceed to step 2.

Since I'm in a nice guy mood today. I'll do your work, and tell you that it's worn with the blazer uniform.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on January 26, 2012, 12:14:09 AMSince I'm in a nice guy mood today. I'll do your work, and tell you that it's worn with the blazer uniform.

And >only< with the blazer and a plain shirt.  If you chose to wear insignia on an aviator shirt under the jacket, you have to wear the USAF blue tie.

I see a lot of people with this issue.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Lord

Regimental ties are worn by Brit's and former British colonials to identify there unit affiliation ( Regiment) while in "Mufti" ( An Arabic word) which is kind of a man dress, but has come to be synonymous with civilian attire, especially by those who have spent a good portion of their life in the uniformed service of the empire. Its appropriate for wear with a suit coat ( assuming you belonged to the regiment) Not to be confused with Tartan Ties, which may also be affiliated with a military unit ( The Black watch has a Tartan and I believe a regimental tie, but I would have to check on that) USAF has a Tartan and it is available as a tie for civilian or "Mufti" wear. The USAF Tartan is called the "Lady Jane". I think it would be awesome to have unit ties in CAP, but how far down would you go? All the way to Sq or flight level? The only reason I would own CAWG tie would be for use as a garrotte or noose.....(or maybe a tourniquet if I am felling chipper)

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

a2capt

I can't say that I've ever seen one, other than the reference in 39-1, is there really one for CAWG, and other wings respectively?

.. I can't help but think of the chicken track scarf now..

SarDragon

Quote from: a2capt on January 26, 2012, 12:39:36 AM
I can't say that I've ever seen one, other than the reference in 39-1, is there really one for CAWG, and other wings respectively?

Not that I know of. I think that might have been a bit of wishful thinking.

Quote.. I can't help but think of the chicken track scarf now..

Now that's hilarious. Wish I had one to take to a tailor, and see what they could come up with.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Patterson

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on January 26, 2012, 12:02:17 AM

To remind us how rediculous CAP was, is and will always be when it comes to uniforms!

jimmydeanno

For the blazer, because if you wear a navy blue tie with a navy blue blazer, you look like someone who lives in their parent's basement.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SarDragon

Quote from: jimmydeanno on January 26, 2012, 01:22:52 AM
For the blazer, because if you wear a navy blue tie with a navy blue blazer, you look like someone who lives in their parent's basement.

It's not Navy blue, it's AF blue, and it has a pattern woven in.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spaceman3750

Anybody who willingly wears a tie as low quality as the AF blue tie when they're not required to probably lives in his parent's basement. I'm not a tie snob, I'll take the $30 off-the-shelf one from Kohl's, but I can't stand the quality of the AF blue tie.

MSG Mac

Bottom line is that it identifies that you are affilliated with that regiment or unit. There are also school ties which identify what school you graduated from which  Old School Tie term comes from.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

PHall

jks19714

Quote from: PHall on January 26, 2012, 08:19:58 PM

They make functional tourniquets!

Especially pronounced above some folk's shoulders...  :o
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

PHall

Quote from: jks19714 on January 26, 2012, 08:36:54 PM
Quote from: PHall on January 26, 2012, 08:19:58 PM

They make functional tourniquets!

Especially pronounced above some folk's shoulders...  :o

Hey, gotta stop that jugular bleed somehow! ;)

GroundHawg

Quote from: Eclipse on January 26, 2012, 12:18:31 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on January 26, 2012, 12:14:09 AMSince I'm in a nice guy mood today. I'll do your work, and tell you that it's worn with the blazer uniform.

And >only< with the blazer and a plain shirt.  If you chose to wear insignia on an aviator shirt under the jacket, you have to wear the USAF blue tie.

I see a lot of people with this issue.

I did not know this. There is a SM in my squadron who has taken to wearing one and wears it with the aviator shirt with ribbons, etc... I will be sure to let him know its proper wear before next blues night. Thank you!

AlphaSigOU

Wearing a regimental or school tie in Britain when you are not entitled to is considered a serious social faux pas in Old Blighty. The CAP 'regimental' tie is almost, but not quite the same pattern of that worn by the Brigade of Guards. A good description of regimental ties can be found in this Wikipedia article.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

CAP4117

(Speaking as a woman) Don't even get me started on the floppy bow! 

jimmydeanno

Quote from: CAP4117 on January 29, 2012, 03:10:18 AM

Speaking as a man, don't even get me started on the floppy bow!  >:D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Cool Mace

Quote from: jimmydeanno on January 30, 2012, 10:28:58 PM
Quote from: CAP4117 on January 29, 2012, 03:10:18 AM

Speaking as a man, don't even get me started on the floppy bow!  >:D

Speaking as someone with eyes...  >:D
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.