Which Service Cap?

Started by Rocketguy, January 25, 2012, 02:55:28 AM

Rocketguy

You know how there's no such thing as a stupid question? I'm probably about to change that! I should be promoting to C/2d Lt within the next couple months and was wondering about a service cap. I am in VAWG which authorizes the service cap for cadet officers. I looked on Vanguard and they have two different ones. Which one will I need? The Company or Field Grade?

abdsp51

Eclipse

^ Yup, plain black shade.

Those are a lot more plentiful, especially older ones.  NHQ has indicated in the past that the hat material does not have to match the jacket.

Used in good condition they usually go for about $10

"That Others May Zoom"

Abby.L

Yea. The plain black bill is the only one for cadets. SM Majors and above wear the uber fancy one with the clouds and lightning, but us cadets get no such fanciness.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

abdsp51

Pretty sure SM Maj and above have clouds and bolts. 

PHall

Quote from: abdsp51 on January 26, 2012, 01:41:29 AM
Pretty sure SM Maj and above have clouds and bolts.

Maj, Lt Col and Col are all Field Grade Officers and have the Farts and Darts on the bill.

abdsp51

I know it's that way for AD AF Majs and above except for Gen Officers had the additional clouds and bolts.

Rocketguy

Awesome. Thanks for the help!

Quote from: Eclipse on January 25, 2012, 03:10:33 AM
Used in good condition they usually go for about $10

Does anyone have an idea where to find a used one? My local military surplus store does not have any, and I'm not seeing any in my size on eBay.

Ford73Diesel

Having worn hats similar to these hats, I would suggest sticking with the flight cap. They tend to be uncomfortable and give me a headache. YMMV

AlphaSigOU

In days of old, when dinosaurs roamed the earth Ma Blue only let chicken colonels and generals wear farts and darts on the bill of the service cap. It was later extended to telephone colonels (Lt Col), which matched the Navy/Marine custom. In the mid-90s majors got farts and darts, which matches Army custom.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

HGjunkie

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on January 29, 2012, 02:03:47 AM
In days of old, when dinosaurs roamed the earth Ma Blue only let chicken colonels and generals wear farts and darts on the bill of the service cap. It was later extended to telephone colonels (Lt Col), which matched the Navy/Marine custom. In the mid-90s majors got farts and darts, which matches Army custom.
And soon it shall match AF custom and be given to all the Terminal Captains...  ;D
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

PHall

Quote from: abdsp51 on January 26, 2012, 02:11:08 AM
I know it's that way for AD AF Majs and above except for Gen Officers had the additional clouds and bolts.

General Officers are just that, General Officers. They are not Field Grade or even Company Grade.

Field Grade Officers wear the Service Cap with two sets of Clouds and Bolts. General Officers wear the Service Cap with three sets of Clouds and Bolts.

davidsinn

Quote from: PHall on January 29, 2012, 02:09:59 AM

General Officers are just that, General Officers. They are not Field Grade or even Company Grade.

Field Grade Officers wear the Service Cap with two sets of Clouds and Bolts. General Officers wear the Service Cap with three sets of Clouds and Bolts.

CSAF get's it all the way around the hat.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

PHall

Quote from: davidsinn on January 29, 2012, 02:27:33 AM

Makes it easier for the sniper to get the "high value" target! >:D

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: PHall on January 29, 2012, 03:17:39 AM

Why would you wear blues in an area that has snipers?
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

davidsinn

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on January 29, 2012, 03:24:56 AM
Quote from: PHall on January 29, 2012, 03:17:39 AM

Why would you wear blues in an area that has snipers?

There is this wonderful new invention called: humor. You might look it up. ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret