confusion...

Started by maurer172, January 24, 2012, 01:02:27 AM

maurer172

(This isn't really the right group for the question) in O-flights, where is the line drawn between "hands on instructor" and innappropriate? :-[
Embrace The Suck, Unless the Suck is Obviously Wrong

RogueLeader

Depends on details. Best to take it up with your unit, not on the internet.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Duke Dillio

CAPR 60-1, para 2-2(h):

"Except for flight instruction or during CAP check rides, only a qualified CAP pilot may handle the controls below 1,000 ft AGL. Orientation flights are not flight instruction. PICs on orientation flights must handle the controls below 1,000 ft AGL."

I think that is the correct cite.

RogueLeader

I am assuming by the phrasing, that it is physical contact.  Again, needs to be taken up with the CoC.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Duke Dillio

I'm almost more confused actually now that I think about it.  I am not a pilot so I can only cite what the regs say.  Perhaps rephrasing your question might help us get to the answer that you seek.

RogueLeader

It was the inappropriate that clued me to that it wasn't a reg issue.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

maurer172

RougeLeader has the right concept...
Embrace The Suck, Unless the Suck is Obviously Wrong

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

a2capt

by right group I gather you mean "right sub forum/topic/heading/whatever" and not "people that I should be asking this".

OTOH- "draw the line"? Well, hands on instruction means the cadet gets to fly the plane, with instruction. Their hands on the airplane controls. I'm not sure there's any other kind of hands on other than a pat on the back, or a hand reaching over to a shy hand, giving a nudge ... like my instructor did to me once. "No, like this!" and throttle really moved instead of the wimpy input I was giving it.

If there's anything else going on, you have the chain of command, and you owe it to whomever to use it, and if that means jumping one level because it's your command you have a question about, then that is absolutely how it's supposed to work.

Ron1319

Chain of command?  Just call the police.
Ronald Thompson, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander, Squadron 85, Placerville, CA
PCR-CA-273
Spaatz #1319