Requirement to have Wing DDRO present class during encampment

Started by Eclipse, January 03, 2012, 05:18:51 AM

Eclipse

At some point I found verbiage somewhere that indicated that the 1 hour (minimum) of Drug Demand Reduction training that is part of
the required encampment curriculum, must be presented by the actual Wing DDRO.

I can't find that in the most current 52-16, nor the last 2 revs, nor 51-1, or the DDRO Specialty Track pamphlet (which does discuss "goals", but
have no language about a requirement).

I know I have seen this in a short sentence somewhere recently, but I simply can't find it. 

Hoping a couple of the high-level CP people here can take a minute from the ABU discussions and help me find this.

"That Others May Zoom"

Tim Medeiros

I do not recall it being the actual DDRA, but I do know of verbage stating that a DDR presentation needed to be done.  As DDRA back in the day I'd actually have local DDROs fulfill this under my supervision as it would count towards their specialty track, or if there weren't any and I had a contact in the area, I'd have someone like the National Guard DDR person or base DDR come in.  I also encouraged this practice as DDRC.

Fact of the matter is, not all wings have DDRAs, and not all DDRAs can provide quality presentations, so having the requirement be completed by the DDRA (which may have work scheduling issues as well) seems like a not so bright move in my personal opinion.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

a2capt

..and if they're a stickler about it, then a PA can be issued before encampment ;-)

Eclipse

What's DDRA vs. DDRO?

If I've got the title wrong that may be why I can't find this.

EDIT:   I see "Administrator" vs. "Officer"  not that it matters, but I wonder the reasoning for the distinction in terminology?
Is there less local flexibility to an "administrator"?

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

DDRA = DDR Administrator - Wing level position. Oversees all the DDR work for the wing.

DDRO = DDR Officer - sdqn/grp level position. Handles the DDR program at the sqdn or grp level.

Eclipse

According to 20-1:

Region = Drug Demand Reduction Coordinator

Wing = Drug Demand Reduction Administrator

Group = Drug Demand Reduction Officer

No indication below group (but no specific limitation that there can't be a DDRO, either)

The nearest thing I see so far is this from 20-1:

Manages and directs drug demand reduction activities.   They shall:

Conduct annual DDR training at wing encampment(s)
(among other things)

However I don't see that as an exclusive, nor is this how I remember the verbiage I read.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

I think the last couple of years that our DDR classes at the ILWG SE have been conducted by the ATS Chief Instructor, Lt. Col. Flowers. He is a LEO from Dallas, TX and comes up each year with the group we get from the Sheldon Comp Sqdn(TX-802). He is also probably well known to those who attend or staff the Honor Guard Academy.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Tim Medeiros

Please send Lt Col Flowers a hearty hello from me next time you see him.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

HGjunkie

Quote from: ol'fido on January 04, 2012, 01:04:36 AM
He is also probably well known to those who attend or staff the Honor Guard Academy.

YEEEPPPP.

Haha, he's a tough nut, but a [darn] fine officer.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF