The wonderful World of covers.

Started by CadetMurphy, December 20, 2011, 06:33:07 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 23, 2012, 10:32:04 PMyou look at one person wearing a PC and standing next to him is someone wearing a beret,

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 23, 2012, 10:32:04 PM
which one looks better?
PC

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 23, 2012, 10:32:04 PM
Which one looks cleaner and neater in appearance?
PC by infinity2

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

I gotta go with Eclipse on this one. both parts. Berets look st00pid on many people, because of poor preparation/care, and also face shape. Round faces don't do well with berets.

JMHO.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

manfredvonrichthofen

I'll go with number two any day.

AngelWings

So do flight caps, patrol caps, and ball caps on some people. Some people just look stupid in anything. A few people looking stupid shouldn't be a concern for any uniform item.

SarDragon

But this entire discussion is ALL ABOUT appearance. My perceptions happen to differ from yours, but are no less valid.

Berets are more expensive, and require more care than other headgear. As hard as it is to get a whole flight of PCs or ball caps looking uniform, do you really think it's going to be any easier with berets?

From where I sit, the benefits are dubious at best, while the downsides appear to be very real.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

davidsinn

Quote from: Major Carrales on April 23, 2012, 09:35:31 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on April 23, 2012, 09:21:27 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on April 23, 2012, 09:08:50 PM
Here is one coming up....supposed some cadets are at an activity that legal requires the wear of a hard hat or helmet?  Like an aerospace factory or industrial area?

Would wearing goggles and other protective head covering for model rocketry be a violation of the uniform? 

Supposed cadets pose for a photo in a protective helmet and goggles prior to a rocket launch, how many incredulous sorts will start shoulding from atop the highest horse?

That's "equipment", not uniform.

I am aware of that...however, should I ever take a photo for publication I can already imagine the sorts of comments from CAPTALKER....Those goggles are regulation, that helmet is not in regulation...and so on and so forth.

That's me in the back on the left.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

AngelWings

Quote from: SarDragon on April 23, 2012, 11:46:05 PM
Berets are more expensive, and require more care than other headgear. As hard as it is to get a whole flight of PCs or ball caps looking uniform, do you really think it's going to be any easier with berets?

From where I sit, the benefits are dubious at best, while the downsides appear to be very real.

YMMV.
Very true, I can see the downsides to it. I think the look in general is better though, but that is my opinion. I think it should be like the Army, authorized for wear, and up to commanders discretion.

SarDragon

Quote from: Littleguy on April 24, 2012, 12:41:23 AM

YMMV.
Very true, I can see the downsides to it. I think the look in general is better though, but that is my opinion. I think it should be like the Army, authorized for wear, and up to commanders discretion.

Then we're getting even farther away from the concept of uniform. Commander's discretion adds enough problems as it is. Why add more?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Carrales

In terms of berets or patrol caps...the patrol cap is functional better since it is a visor-ed cap that can reduce the effect of the sun in one's eyes.  The beret, aside from being French in origin and originally obviously very important in their military lexicon, serves little functional purpose.

But, if a certain "Red Baron" wants to explain it to me in a manner that would change my mind he is free to try.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

manfredvonrichthofen

It's not a question of functionality. When you need the functionality, wear a PC, but when you need the functionality, you aren't very visible to everyone else at all. The question is professional image. Look at the two pictures of me above, and tell me which looks more professional, a crumpled up PC, or a fitted beret? But when it comes to the functional need for a visor, I still wear the beret and put on some sunglasses. The functionality of a visor is pretty well obsolete, when you need functionality, it is likely you need glasses on as well; if you are doing ES, you should be wearing a pair of glasses and if the sun is out, a pair of sunglasses are the way to go, hence the visor is obsolete.

AngelWings

Quote from: SarDragon on April 24, 2012, 12:55:12 AM
Quote from: Littleguy on April 24, 2012, 12:41:23 AM

YMMV.

Then we're getting even farther away from the concept of uniform. Commander's discretion adds enough problems as it is. Why add more?
Because perfect uniformity is impossible and I could not show you one unit or military in the world with uniformity across the board. It is impossible, and every time I've seen someone attempt it, it has always ended up worse or no better. Why waste time worrying about making everyone perfectly uniform? We're talking about a huge spectrum of people, some of which willingly disobey regulations, some that don't wear the same uniforms, and some that just resist change.

titanII

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 24, 2012, 01:24:12 AM
It's not a question of functionality. When you need the functionality, wear a PC, but when you need the functionality, you aren't very visible to everyone else at all. The question is professional image. Look at the two pictures of me above, and tell me which looks more professional, a crumpled up PC, or a fitted beret? But when it comes to the functional need for a visor, I still wear the beret and put on some sunglasses. The functionality of a visor is pretty well obsolete, when you need functionality, it is likely you need glasses on as well; if you are doing ES, you should be wearing a pair of glasses and if the sun is out, a pair of sunglasses are the way to go, hence the visor is obsolete.
What about in formation? No sunglasses allowed in formation.
No longer active on CAP talk

manfredvonrichthofen

You shouldn't be staring at the sun either.

MSG Mac

I agree with Sparky, berets are much more expensive than a patrol cap, a pain to maintain, and no one wears it the same. besides which it is explicitly forbidden for wear except for attendees at Blue Beret. (and not to be worn back at the home unit). CAP is expensive enough without adding another requireement.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

manfredvonrichthofen

But at any rate this cAn go back and forth forever, it is a rather YMMV point. My point is a simple professional look. But I was given a challenge so I attacked it, whether I accomplished the mission or not is another point entirely.  ::)

Yes, the blue beret can be worn back at the home unit, and it can be authorized by wing kings. And I couldn't disagree more about the care and maintenance of the beret, I have worn one more than anything other than a helmet, and it is so dang easy to take care of. Virtually nothing needs done with it once it is shaped, go ahead and smash one in your pocket and smash a PC in your pocket and see which one looks better when you put it on.

Major Carrales

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 24, 2012, 01:38:12 AM
You shouldn't be staring at the sun either.

Well, let's hope the enemy never attacks at dawn from the east, at noon or in the afternoon from the west.  You know...Germany is East of France, maybe this explains why blitzkrieg was so much more effective against them.  >:D

Commander
SWR-TX-454

jeders

Look at the two pictures of me above, and tell me which looks more professional, a crumpled up PC, or a fitted beret?
Couldn't the reverse of this be asked? Which looks better, a crumpled up beret or a fitted PC?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Major Carrales

Quote from: jeders on April 24, 2012, 01:48:04 AM
Look at the two pictures of me above, and tell me which looks more professional, a crumpled up PC, or a fitted beret?
Couldn't the reverse of this be asked? Which looks better, a crumpled up beret or a fitted PC?

There is a 76% chance he crumpled the Patrol cap to skew the results.   ;)  Just kidding, however, the beret holds a special place in the hearts and minds of active duty people.  I could see nothing but ridicule coming of adopting one.

Commander
SWR-TX-454