Main Menu

BOG changes

Started by NCRblues, November 13, 2011, 10:48:56 PM

FW

The meeting is tomorrow.  December 7, 2011.

NCRblues

Quote from: FW on December 07, 2011, 02:30:50 AM
The meeting is tomorrow.  December 7, 2011.

Ah great, thank you. I could have sworn they had talked about a Dec 6th meeting...but...
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Ned

The Audit Committee met from 1600 - 1830 yesterday, and the full BoG from 1830 until a little after 2200.

We started again a few minutes ago and are scheduled to meet until 1530.

Nothing very exciting yet.

NCRblues

Quote from: Ned on December 07, 2011, 01:04:57 PM
The Audit Committee met from 1600 - 1830 yesterday, and the full BoG from 1830 until a little after 2200.

We started again a few minutes ago and are scheduled to meet until 1530.

Nothing very exciting yet.

See, I knew I was not crazy!

Ned, you know what I am going to ask about... so give us an update when you can please and thank you.

NCRblues

NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS — Meeting Wednesday, Civil Air Patrol's Board of Governors received an external governance study report submitted by BoardSource, a nonprofit organization based in Washington, D.C.

The report includes recommendations designed to ensure best practices in the organization's governance structure. BoardSource was selected to conduct the study based on its extensive expertise in defining nonprofit governance practices, including governance structures, board/staff partnerships and current and evolving trends.

BoardSource's research included interviews with board members, National Headquarters staff, volunteer leaders and selected wing and region commanders. The research also included surveys of CAP members.

The BoardSource study fully complements the internal study done by the CAP Governance Committee.

Brig. Gen. Richard Anderson, chairman of the Board of Governors, and Maj. Gen. Chuck Carr, CAP national commander, issued the following joint statement after the meeting:

"The study's purpose is to help strengthen CAP's governance and ensure that our governance structure is consistent with best practices in other nonprofit public service organizations. The comprehensive recommendations made by BoardSource will be thoroughly studied by the Board of Governors and CAP's leadership before any changes are made."

"CAP leaders will be involved in the process every step of the way," they added.

Anderson and Carr concluded with, "The BoG will provide regular updates as the review process progresses."

[/quote]

So, by the way this is worded, I guess the membership won't get to see it huh Ned?

Ned

Quote from: NCRblues on December 09, 2011, 12:30:03 AMSo, by the way this is worded, I guess the membership won't get to see it huh Ned?

Yes, you will.  The question is when. 

We specifically discussed when and how to release the report.  We clearly recognize that it was paid for with a combination of appropriated and corporate dollars and that every member has a legitimate interest in the contents.

I shared with the other BoG members the interest expressed here on CT in seeing the full report.

At this point, we have referred the report to our BoG Governance subcommittee, who will meet right after the holidays.  One of the specific questions they have been asked to consider is how and when to release the report.

I can say there is nothing Earth-shattering in the report; certainly nothing that has not been discussed here and/or in the internal governance report prepared by the NB's committee.  (Yes, I know you haven't seen that one either, but I don't control that process.)  BoardSource recognized the same issues that we have discussed so passionately here - things like confusion about roles and responsibilities amongst the key leaders and boards, abuse of the electoral system for selecting our national leaders, and the strong traditions of volunteer leadership in CAP (when compared to organizations like the ARC and BSA).

They have made a number of specific recommendations they believe are based on the best practices of non-profit groups.  It is now the role of the BoG - in close consultation with the membership, CAP leaders, and the SECAF's office - to decide if the "case for change" has been made, and if so, what changes should be made.

And that process has just begun.

ZigZag911

Ned, it's good to know that we're going to get to see the report, and that the BoG is interested in the members' thoughts on this matter.