First Sergeant Diamond on C/TSgt insgnia.

Started by Munkers, October 29, 2011, 06:53:54 PM

ßτε

CAPR 52-16 no longer restricts First Sergeant to C/MSgt - C/CMSgt.
It also no longer references special insignia for First Sergeant.

SarDragon

Quote from: ß τ ε on October 30, 2011, 01:02:13 AM
CAPR 52-16 no longer restricts First Sergeant to C/MSgt - C/CMSgt.
It also no longer references special insignia for First Sergeant.

What he said. I looked it up twice, after reading two different posts, just to make sure. There is a singular mention of First Sergeant in the latest version,and it's not talking about rank insignia.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Camas

CAPR 20-1 shows "first sergeant" on the cadet organizational chart on page 23 figure 18 yet on page 44 under Part IV Cadet Position Descriptions there is no mention of 1st sergeant at all. But then the current CAPR 20-1 dates back eleven years.

PHall

Quote from: lordmonar on October 29, 2011, 11:58:24 PM
Quote from: Munkers on October 29, 2011, 07:21:22 PM
I don't seem to see first sergeant insignia listed anywhere on 39-1. and Nationals say TSgt's can be First Sergeant so their say overrules yours.

Be careful with that....now....who at national says what?
52-16 says only c/MSgt to C/CMSgt can be First Sergeants......so no......c/TSgt can't wear the diamond.

If you're going to quote a reg, please make sure it's the current version of the reg. This changed over a year ago.

titanII

Quote from: PHall on October 30, 2011, 02:23:03 AM
If you're going to quote a reg, please make sure it's the current version of the reg. This changed over a year ago.
Beat me to it  :D
It's tricky, when you google 52-16 the first one that comes up is the 2006 version which does mention the First Sergeant position. But if you go here: http://tinyurl.com/y8wsn4k you can see the current version, which doesn't mention First Sergeants. My bet is that the lack of any mention of the  First Sergeant position is due to some oversight or innocent mistake by whoever wrote it. Not that it makes it right...
I just wish NHQ would edit 52-16 to actually say something about 1st Sgt. Tell us if it's okay or not! I would hope they would have 1st Sgt be as it is in the 2006 version. IMO only C/SNCO's should hold the position.
No longer active on CAP talk

bassque

Back before they started putting the rockers going up instead of having them all go down, the diamond was just by itself above the stripes.  I assume if a TSgt were to, and was allowed to wear it, then that device would be the most appropriate.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: bassque on October 30, 2011, 02:41:09 AM
Back before they started putting the rockers going up instead of having them all go down, the diamond was just by itself above the stripes.  I assume if a TSgt were to, and was allowed to wear it, then that device would be the most appropriate.

Of course then there is the catch 22.

In your squadron, all of the cadets should know who the first sergeant is without the silly diamond.

Your squadron too big for that? Then there must be at least a few SNCOs to fill the position, thus negating the silly diamond.

<<< wore the diamond as a C/SSgt
<<< wore the diamond as a SNCO
<<< wore it not too long ago, but at least 1(?) or 2 Cadet generations ago.

RogueLeader

One possible reason that 1st Sgt was taken out is that 1st Sgt is not authorized by CAPR 20-1 dated 29 May 2000.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: RogueLeader on October 30, 2011, 02:57:43 AM
One possible reason that 1st Sgt was taken out is that 1st Sgt is not authorized by CAPR 20-1 dated 29 May 2000.

In that case the last version should have done the same, and it would make more sense to update the 10 year old reg to be more inline with the current other regs.

Spaceman3750

Figure 18 on page 23 says differently.

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

titanII

(I think) that this is something National needs to fix. I feel that 1st Sgt can be a valuable position at the squadron level. After all, it is talked about in our Leadership books: http://tinyurl.com/3qlqhnb (see page 27)
  ;D
No longer active on CAP talk

RogueLeader

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 30, 2011, 02:59:32 AM

In that case the last version should have done the same, and it would make more sense to update the 10 year old reg to be more inline with the current other regs.

Be that as it may, that is not the way it is.  Still 39-1 does not authorize the 1st Sgt Diamond.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: titanII on October 30, 2011, 03:04:33 AM
(I think) that this is something National needs to fix. I feel that 1st Sgt can be a valuable position at the squadron level. After all, it is talked about in our Leadership books: http://tinyurl.com/3qlqhnb (see page 27)
  ;D

Most units don't even rate a flight structure, so I don't think it's as valuable as cadets always feel it is, at least not in the 1st Sgt capacity.

Spaceman3750

ßτε

First Sergeant is authorized in CAPR 20-1. It is in the organizational chart. It just doesn't have a job description in Part IV. Lack of a job description in Part IV does not mean the position is unauthorized. Note that also missing from Part IV are cadet Supply Officer, cadet Public Affairs Officer, cadet Leadership Officer, cadet Recruiting Officer, and cadet Administrative Officer.

RogueLeader

Still can't wear the diamond. Also, what it is the point of a duty position if it has no defined responsabilities?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

lordmonar

Well....that's what happens when you don't read all the changes.

Last time we had this debate.......First Sergeant was limited to on C/SNCOs.

Okay....in that case.

Don't care was 20-1 says.  If you need the position you can create it.  20-1 says so.

So.  C/TSgt ask your commander if he wants you to wear the diamond do what he says. End of debate.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RogueLeader

See my above post. Where is the authorization to wear the diamond?  It's not on 39-1.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340