Does the world need another incident management tool?

Started by Spaceman3750, October 13, 2011, 07:52:57 PM

Would you use a new full-circle tool?

No, I'll keep using my other tools & WMIRS
4 (22.2%)
No, I'll keep using the IMU & WMIRS
5 (27.8%)
Yes, I would like a browser-based open source tool utilizing CAPWATCH separate from WMIRS
9 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Robborsari

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on October 13, 2011, 08:22:38 PM
I haven't used the IMU in depth other than to do sign-ins on Evening 1 of the last eval (and that felt like a huge pain, I never knew whether someone was signed in or not and it kept bugging me about vehicles and instrument currency). What are some specific examples of IMU nags that shouldn't be there?

Thats a good question.  I am not sure I would class instrument currency as a nag. It is there because we don't get the currency info from wmirs and we need to know to correctly type the crew.  Would a checkbox for that be less obtrusive?

Not sure what you mean about bugging you about vehicles.  If you check in a vehicle there is a requester that asks if you want an inbound sortie created.  Is that the one you mean?
Lt Col Rob Borsari<br  / Wing DO
SER-TN-087

Robborsari

IMU does have a few browser based items.  There is a list of missions active on the server.  There is a status board for each mission.  There is also a web form to enter comm traffic.  This allows you to have anyone in your wing enter radio traffic even if they don't have IMU installed.  I like having the browser interface for things but it seems like some stuff will be difficult to implement that way. 
SER-TN-087

Short Field

I have used the IMU extensively from very large missions to a single sortie mission.  The basic format of the program is excellent - where it tends to break down is error checking and a lack of intuitive functions in some areas.  There are functions that unless someone has shown you how to do it, you will never find out how by poking around the IMU.  It also gets really clunky as more and more people log on.

I would like to see a updated IMU with a better internal engine to speed up the processes and have less freeze-ups as well as an improved WMIRS interface that is transparent to the user.   It needs to be able to run off-line and then go on-line to update other nodes/computers and WMIRS. 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Robborsari

Quote from: Short Field on October 15, 2011, 06:37:30 AM
I have used the IMU extensively from very large missions to a single sortie mission.  The basic format of the program is excellent - where it tends to break down is error checking and a lack of intuitive functions in some areas.  There are functions that unless someone has shown you how to do it, you will never find out how by poking around the IMU.  It also gets really clunky as more and more people log on.

I would like to see a updated IMU with a better internal engine to speed up the processes and have less freeze-ups as well as an improved WMIRS interface that is transparent to the user.   It needs to be able to run off-line and then go on-line to update other nodes/computers and WMIRS.

Thank you for the kind words.  I agree about both the error checking and the interface.  We are continuing to work on both but it is slow going sometimes.  We really could use much better documentation especially online help. 

On the speed.  What mode are you using.  Pete completely rewrote the database communications part when he switched to HTTP as the comm protocol.  Updates got much faster and it is less sensitive to multiple users.  As for the WMIRS part, I hope that things are working better and will continue to get better in the future. 

There are some spots where we can increase the amount of things we do before we update.  Unfortunately most of the things that take some time like sortie creation will still require multiple transfers to function safely in a multiple computer environment.  If you notice a spot that seems particularly slow let me know about it..  I will look and see if there are enhancements that can be made.
We have 2 buttons now.  Login with wmirs and without.  If you are not doing air or ground ops you can log in without and go much faster. 
SER-TN-087