Uniform Patch Design File

Started by gunguy, October 10, 2011, 01:43:35 PM

gunguy

I have a friend who can do the embroidery onto shirts for me, but we need the embroidery file format.  (.emb, .dst)

I found this one online for $12... cheaper than paying a digitizer...

http://www.dakotacollectibles.com/comm/stock_detail.asp?stockcode=SR0361

To save me $12, does anyone happen to have an embroidery file of the logo, or know where I can get one?

Thanks!

tribalelder

Since the embroidered golf shirt is available from Vanguard, it's probably not worth the hassle to produce locally even if you got the design free.  You've got a number of thread colors to match and a shirt color and syle to match.  While I am not impressed with Vanguard's embroidery (the frequently seen curling of the embroidered design is an indication of inadequate stabilizer under the design), it is uniform. Your product, though it may be superior in workmanship, won't be.
WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

gunguy

Quote from: tribalelder on October 10, 2011, 02:39:42 PM
Since the embroidered golf shirt is available from Vanguard, it's probably not worth the hassle to produce locally even if you got the design free.  You've got a number of thread colors to match and a shirt color and syle to match.  While I am not impressed with Vanguard's embroidery (the frequently seen curling of the embroidered design is an indication of inadequate stabilizer under the design), it is uniform. Your product, though it may be superior in workmanship, won't be.
Unfortunately, Vanguard is not an option.  They do not have tall sizes, which I would need.

Since there really is no uniformity in pants,  or even really the polo shirts (I have seen at least 3 different shades of blue from Vanguard), I the potential thread color being slightly off isn't a deal-breaker to me.  I have a CAP patch, that I will use to match thread color to.

arajca

Quote from: gunguy on October 10, 2011, 01:43:35 PM
I have a friend who can do the embroidery onto shirts for me, but we need the embroidery file format.  (.emb, .dst)

I found this one online for $12... cheaper than paying a digitizer...

http://www.dakotacollectibles.com/comm/stock_detail.asp?stockcode=SR0361

To save me $12, does anyone happen to have an embroidery file of the logo, or know where I can get one?

Thanks!
That one is definitely not right and looks like doo-doo.

Contact Vanguard and ask about Tall sizes. They should be able to get them.

If you match the thread colors to the CAP seal patch, you'll be right, or at least close enough.

a2capt

That embroidery file does look like crap. Mostly the text, it's just not right. The center section is okay, mostly, but it just doesn't look right. It looks like something that needs to be free.

There must be a process to run graphics through, because I've always just given an EPS file, and gotten back pretty much "what it looks like" in thread.

jimmydeanno

It's odd that the guy who can embroider it for you doesn't have the conversion software.  Most of the pros on embroidery forums, etc don't seem to have any awareness of free conversion software and say that whomever owns an embroidery machine should have the software to convert any image file into what you'd need (i.e. give them a hi-res .jpeg and they'll convert it for their own purposes).

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

Quote from: gunguy on October 10, 2011, 04:21:01 PM
Quote from: tribalelder on October 10, 2011, 02:39:42 PM
Unfortunately, Vanguard is not an option.  They do not have tall sizes, which I would need.

Since there really is no uniformity in pants,  or even really the polo shirts (I have seen at least 3 different shades of blue from Vanguard), I the potential thread color being slightly off isn't a deal-breaker to me.  I have a CAP patch, that I will use to match thread color to.

Nothing within this range would fit?  You have a sleeve length more than these?

Small - Chest: 44, Neck: 14 1/2, Length: 28, Sleeve: 34
Medium - Chest: 47, Neck: 15 1/2 , Length: 31, Sleeve: 35
Large - Chest: 50, Neck: 16 1/2, Length: 31, Sleeve: 36
X-Large - Chest: 56, Neck: 17 1/2, Length: 33, Sleeve: 38
XX-Large - Chest: 56, Neck: 18 1/2, Length: 34, Sleeve: 38
XXX-Large - Chest: 61, Neck: 20, Length: 35, Sleeve: 39

I also agree the one linked above looks like poop - anyone with a clue will know you didn't source it through VG. They even misspelled "auxiliary"!

"That Others May Zoom"

gunguy

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 10, 2011, 04:30:34 PM
It's odd that the guy who can embroider it for you doesn't have the conversion software.  Most of the pros on embroidery forums, etc don't seem to have any awareness of free conversion software and say that whomever owns an embroidery machine should have the software to convert any image file into what you'd need (i.e. give them a hi-res .jpeg and they'll convert it for their own purposes).

If you're familiar with embroidery, you'd know there's no "conversion software". (There have been some attempts at it, but they never produce a quality result)
Each stitch has to be drawn.   A digitizer needs to manually set the zones, and levels of the stitching.
Quote from: Eclipse on October 10, 2011, 04:32:15 PM
Nothing within this range would fit?  You have a sleeve length more than these?

Small - Chest: 44, Neck: 14 1/2, Length: 28, Sleeve: 34
Medium - Chest: 47, Neck: 15 1/2 , Length: 31, Sleeve: 35
Large - Chest: 50, Neck: 16 1/2, Length: 31, Sleeve: 36
X-Large - Chest: 56, Neck: 17 1/2, Length: 33, Sleeve: 38
XX-Large - Chest: 56, Neck: 18 1/2, Length: 34, Sleeve: 38
XXX-Large - Chest: 61, Neck: 20, Length: 35, Sleeve: 39

I also agree the one linked above looks like poop - anyone with a clue will know you didn't source it through VG. They even misspelled "auxiliary"!

Sure, The XXXL would fit, I would only have enough room in it for another person....  I wear 35-36 Length, Have a 40" sleeve length, and 17 1/2 Neck.

Eclipse

The newer machines are much friendlier and hands-off, but regardless, making home-made uniforms is verboten. Your best best is to call them and see if they can make something for you one-off, maybe you source a shirt and send it to them.  If not, perhaps the golf shirt will not be an option for you.

40" arms go well beyond "tall" - I had to have custom blues shirts made by AAFES at 37", so 40", as you have probably learned to live with, is going to be an issue for everything you need.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Eclipse on October 10, 2011, 04:53:48 PM
The newer machines are much friendlier and hands-off, but regardless, making home-made uniforms is verboten. Your best best is to call them and see if they can make something for you one-off, maybe you source a shirt and send it to them.  If not, perhaps the golf shirt will not be an option for you.

40" arms go well beyond "tall" - I had to have custom blues shirts made by AAFES at 37", so 40", as you have probably learned to live with, is going to be an issue for everything you need.

A few years back, my wife did just this.  Because they only stocked men's sizes (at the time), and she's really petite, even a small polo was floating on her.  So, she sourced a dark blue polo, brought it to them and they embroidered it within an hour for her.  They're willing to help.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

gunguy

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 10, 2011, 05:10:28 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 10, 2011, 04:53:48 PM

A few years back, my wife did just this.  Because they only stocked men's sizes (at the time), and she's really petite, even a small polo was floating on her.  So, she sourced a dark blue polo, brought it to them and they embroidered it within an hour for her.  They're willing to help.

I have the shirts that will work... just need to get them embroidered...  How much did they charge to embroider them?