Has anyone here ever used a bluetooth adapter for their CAP Radio?

Started by skymaster, September 24, 2011, 01:03:33 PM

Spaceman3750

Quote from: SarDragon on September 28, 2011, 10:07:06 PM
That's a five and a half year olde article. Many things have changed since then, both on and off the bases. My personal experience is current as of a month ago.

Driving faster than 65mph on Illinois freeways is illegal. None of the police officers I have driven by really cared that I was going 70. Doesn't make it any less illegal.

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on September 28, 2011, 10:07:06 PM
That's a five and a half year olde article. Many things have changed since then, both on and off the bases. My personal experience is current as of a month ago.

How about 3 days ago?
http://www.navy.mil/pod/navypod.asp?c=8
Driving and Cell Phone Use (24 Sep 2011)
Handheld cellphones not(sic) longer can be used while driving on DoD Installations. However, they can be used with a hands-free system or while parked. Any distraction while driving should be avoided, including changing radio stations, eating, combing hair, or putting on makeup. Make the right decision and avoid a mishap.

The above says hands-free is OK, but I can tell you it ain't on Great Lakes, the gate guards will actually instruct you to remove your earpiece when you come through.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

So then it's a local thing, isn't it? NOTHING I said was wrong.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on September 28, 2011, 10:19:45 PM

Have you actually checked lately at whatever base you go to?  Google says this is a pretty common restriction.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

I've been to three of the five in the past month, two Navy, and one Marine. That qualifies as lately for me. My Sweetie goes to the closest Marine base (Miramar) every other week, and has seen nothing new on the signs at the gates that display cell phone rules.

Like I said - local rules.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Nothing at Great Lakes is posted anywhere, either.  Local is local, I guess.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on September 28, 2011, 10:20:51 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on September 28, 2011, 10:19:45 PM

Have you actually checked lately at whatever base you go to?  Google says this is a pretty common restriction.

No problem at North Island NAS as of last Saturday. And Google is only as good as it's sources.

jimmydeanno

Yeah, hands free policies are local.  Every base 'round hea allows hands-free devices. 

The law says...

Quote from: 32 C.F.R. ยง 634.25
Vehicle operators on a DoD Installation and operators of Government owned vehicles shall not use cell phones unless the vehicle is safely parked or unless they are using a hands-free device. The wearing of any other portable headphones, earphones, or other listening devices (except for hand-free cellular phones) while operating a motor vehicle is prohibited. Use of those devices impairs driving and masks or prevents recognition of emergency signals, alarms, announcements, the approach of vehicles, and human speech...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SarDragon

I was informed earlier this evening that MCAS Miramar now has a policy of no cell phone use while the vehicle is in motion, regardless of any hands free devices. It's in small letters on the sign just inside the gate.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret