Main Menu

Flight Caps

Started by SamW, September 23, 2011, 01:23:39 AM

SamW

I'm in the process of getting my first AF style uniform and I'm wondering if the flight cap is a mandatory part of that.  I haven't seen many officers wearing it, except with the blue jacket, and I wasn't planning on getting that just yet. 

Thanks for the help. 

SarDragon

Quote from: SamW on September 23, 2011, 01:23:39 AM
I'm in the process of getting my first AF style uniform and I'm wondering if the flight cap is a mandatory part of that.  I haven't seen many officers wearing it, except with the blue jacket, and I wasn't planning on getting that just yet. 

Thanks for the help.

Some sort of cap is required, and the flight cap is cheaper, more comfortable, and easier to take care of.

I suggest that you look at CAPM 39-1 to answer your basic uniform questions.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SamW on September 23, 2011, 01:23:39 AM

Officers or senior members?  (Senior Members is the proper generic term).

Are you referring to the bus-driver service cap

or the folding-style flight cap

One or the other is required, I can't imagine why you haven't seen people wearing them.

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

QuoteOne or the other is required, I can't imagine why you haven't seen people wearing them.
Maybe they all walk around with their hand on their heads?
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Eclipse

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 23, 2011, 01:54:30 AM
QuoteOne or the other is required, I can't imagine why you haven't seen people wearing them.
Maybe they all walk around with their hand on their heads?

I've heard everything from "it's on a flight line" (from the parking lot of an airport) to "it's just from the car, who cares?"

"That Others May Zoom"

SamW

I'm talking about the flight cap for senior members.  Good to know it's mandatory.  Thanks.  Now I just have to figure out why Vanguard sells two different sizes of devices to attach to it.  And before you say it...yes, I will refer to the uniform manual.

Thanks again for the help.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: SamW on September 23, 2011, 02:32:17 AM
I'm talking about the flight cap for senior members.  Good to know it's mandatory.  Thanks.  Now I just have to figure out why Vanguard sells two different sizes of devices to attach to it.  And before you say it...yes, I will refer to the uniform manual.

Thanks again for the help.

Service caps.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Buzz

You should have been around a decade or so ago, when they let us go from the "buff" finish devices back to shiny.  The screams of anguish from members of our parent service would have made you think they had decided to go back to biplanes for air superiority.

Their complaint was that the shiny device on the officer' flight cap could be mistaken -- by those who weren't really paying attention -- as a Lt Col's silver leaf.

Our response was largely "Yeah, an' den . . ?"  At least it didn't look like we had been failing to maintain our uniforms, which was ALSO a parent-service complaint and one of the reasons that they let us go back to shiny metal in the first place.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Buzz on September 23, 2011, 04:02:00 PM
You should have been around a decade or so ago, when they let us go from the "buff" finish devices back to shiny.  The screams of anguish from members of our parent service would have made you think they had decided to go back to biplanes for air superiority.

Their complaint was that the shiny device on the officer' flight cap could be mistaken -- by those who weren't really paying attention -- as a Lt Col's silver leaf.

Oh, fer the luvva Pete...I hadn't known that. ::) ::)

I just thought that when we got the shiny cap brass back it was because we were going to shiny-finish in general with wings, etc.

A Lt Col's silverball?  You would really have to not be paying attention!

Of course, this came out of the same era that produced the inane "low-light/at-a-distance" dictum about our uniforms looking "distinctive"...it's the same mentality, really: if an onlooker chooses not to read the letters "CAP" it doesn't mean a thing whether or not the epaulet is blue, maroon or grey!  Same for the nameplates...
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

majdomke

I've had that happen when I was attending a course at an AD AF base. I was greeted with "good afternoon colonel" and then a strange look as the enlisted guy walked by and notices my silver bar. I can certainly see the confusion. None the less, I rendered proper courtesy and saluted back and said "good afternoon". No sense making a big deal out of it. Honest mistake. Kinda caught me off guard as well because I didn't immediately understand why he called me "colonel" until I thought about the hat device.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Buzz on September 23, 2011, 04:02:00 PM

Our response was largely "Yeah, an' den . . ?"  At least it didn't look like we had been failing to maintain our uniforms, which was ALSO a parent-service complaint and one of the reasons that they let us go back to shiny metal in the first place.

I was around a decade ago, and I don't recall ever hearing "screams of anguish," ever.  Not even once.  I've had new members ask if I was a Colonel, because the insignia is an eagle.  The subdued stuff was phased out.  Wings, badges, service cap devices, and flight cap devices were among the items that were phased out. 

I hardly think that the Air Force was complaining that we looked like we didn't take care of our uniforms because of the insignia.  Especially considering that it was the same finish that they wore just a few years prior.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill