Smoke from Minnesota wildfire reaches Illinois

Started by Eclipse, September 13, 2011, 09:24:12 PM

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

you should see where I live, it is white out.

FLWG.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Майор Хаткевич

I saw smoke in the Northern Burbs at work, figured it was a local fire of some kind.

Then I get back home, Downtown. Take the dogs out for a walk, and everything has this smoky/white effect to it.

CAP4117

I walked out of my internship at a local fire department, smelled the smoke, and (not knowing what was going on) found it odd that none of the firefighters seemed to be concerned.  ;D
I got home, and it still smelled by my house, so I knew it wasn't just a house fire. By that point, I was thoroughly confused. Luckily an e-mail from CAP ES solved that mystery (it was before I had even thought to look in the news).

♠SARKID♠

Things have been a little a hazy around Milwaukee too.

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

♠SARKID♠

Nah, we have natural filters for that kind of smoke.  We instinctively know the difference and flock to the source (usually Miller Park).  Besides, the Brewers are playing in Cincinnati so nobody's having any tailgate parties downtown  ;D

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on September 16, 2011, 09:50:07 PM
Or the beer battered brats? ;D

Now I'm hungry...
Spaceman, if you're successfully deep frying your brats I'm coming over to your house.  (Beer-brats are normal, beer battered brats would be difficult)

SarDragon

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on September 17, 2011, 12:40:14 PMSpaceman, if you're successfully deep frying your brats I'm coming over to your house.  (Beer-brats are normal, beer battered brats would be difficult)

Nah. Use the same technique as corn dogs, with beer in the batter.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

titanII

This thread has been very successfully derailed.

Quote from: SarDragon on September 18, 2011, 06:14:23 AM
Use the same technique as corn dogs, with beer in the batter.
mmmmmmm....
No longer active on CAP talk

A.Member

Quote from: Eclipse on September 13, 2011, 09:24:12 PM
http://www.cltv.com/news/chi-smoke-from-minnesota-wildfire-reaches-illinois-20110913,0,665574.story

Think burning clutch or brake pads with a little hickory on top.

Anyone from MNWG involved in spotting, etc?
Nah, if you can see the smoke in IL, I'm sure authorities in the BWCA don't have any issues locating the fires.  ;)

Truth be told, it should not be any surprise that the lack of strategic vision and planning permeates to the Wing level.  As a result, Wing leadership in MN is pretty inept when it comes to building relationships with state and local agencies.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 13, 2011, 09:36:51 PM

FLWG.

Drove through some of that on 75 going south today. Never seen anything like it before. Not white out, but definitely strange.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on September 19, 2011, 01:16:18 AM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 13, 2011, 09:36:51 PM

FLWG.

Drove through some of that on 75 going south today. Never seen anything like it before. Not white out, but definitely strange.
It was white out at my college, couldn't see 10 feet.

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: SarDragon on September 18, 2011, 06:14:23 AM
Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on September 17, 2011, 12:40:14 PMSpaceman, if you're successfully deep frying your brats I'm coming over to your house.  (Beer-brats are normal, beer battered brats would be difficult)

Nah. Use the same technique as corn dogs, with beer in the batter.

Casings would break.

As an on rail aside, things have been clearer around here lately.