Poll: Do you think CAP will ever wear ABUs?

Started by RiverAux, August 18, 2011, 07:58:24 PM

What do you think is most likely to happen (not what you WANT to happen)?

CAP will eventually wear ABUs
The AF will switch to something else before CAP starts wearing ABUs and that CAP will eventually move directly to the next uniform, whatever that may be, and will stay in BDUs until then.
CAP will stop wearing an AF-style field uniform and will either go to all BBDUs or some other non-AF style uniform.
No opinion.
CAP will wear BDUs until the end of time.

DC

Quote from: abdsp51 on August 21, 2011, 01:14:20 PM
Theres been nothing through channels about a change, except the multicam pattern for Afghanistan.
It's not hard to read the tea leaves. They are using MultiCam in theater because they finally figured out the the UCP/ABU pattern sucks as camouflage. I'm sure someone is smart enough to realize that UCP's issues are not limited to the borders of Afghanistan, and that a viable replacement is needed for all situations, not just OEF. Add the fact that Congress has made/is making noise about the ridiculous cost associated with each branch developing their own individual combat uniform. I think within 5 - 10 years there will be a common combat uniform, possibly with a MultiCam pattern. Or, because paying CryePrecision a royalty for every piece of cloth used with their pattern on it is expensive, the U.S. will do what the British did and come up with their own MultiCam-like pattern.

Either way, I cannot see a future where ABUs persist for long.

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: DC on August 22, 2011, 01:18:21 AM
Either way, I cannot see a future where ABUs persist for long.
To be fair, there will never be a future where any uniform will persist for long in any incarnation.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

JC004

When even the MANUFACTURER won't stand behind the design, that's a bad sign.  Quite simply, the Army, Navy, and Air Force are being silly. 

The fact that the Air Force even considered the first pattern version is scary.  And why, by the way, couldn't they have added enhancements like a bi-swing back in the process (as the Army did)?

SarDragon

Quote from: JC004 on August 22, 2011, 06:42:33 AM
When even the MANUFACTURER won't stand behind the design, that's a bad sign.  Quite simply, the Army, Navy, and Air Force are being silly. 

The fact that the Air Force even considered the first pattern version is scary.  And why, by the way, couldn't they have added enhancements like a bi-swing back in the process (as the Army did)?

What's wrong with the new Navy uniform? It meets the Navy's needs, and many of the Sailors I've talked to seem to like it. It certainly doesn't have universal acceptance, but none of the other working uniforms from the last 50 years have, either. I went through a couple of different iterations WIWOAD, and none of them were perfect.

As for the color vs 'hiding', the Navy guys who really need to hide from bad guys will continue to get uniforms to suit the task.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

If the AF sought a working uniform that would really camouflage them in the typical wartime working environment for a lot of Airmen, they would go with solid grey BDU's.

I'd better not say that too loudly...the "grey-only" zealots in CAP might get it adopted for us...
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

EMT-83

Is it me, or does the guy in this picture look like a certain former FLWG member?

DC

Quote from: SarDragon on August 22, 2011, 06:55:35 AM

What's wrong with the new Navy uniform? It meets the Navy's needs, and many of the Sailors I've talked to seem to like it. It certainly doesn't have universal acceptance, but none of the other working uniforms from the last 50 years have, either. I went through a couple of different iterations WIWOAD, and none of them were perfect.

As for the color vs 'hiding', the Navy guys who really need to hide from bad guys will continue to get uniforms to suit the task.
That's not the Navy's new uniform, that a blue tiger stripe pattern that was one of the early incarnations of the ABU.

The Navy is fine, their uniform is meant to look cool and hide stains while aboard ship. Whatever floats their boat, so to speak.

However, the fact that Air Force, which regularly puts people on the ground in theater (I'm aware that the Navy does too, but they have the common sense to wear USMC or Army uniforms when they are in such a situation), actually considered a bright blue pattern for their combat/utility uniform is... Yeah...  ::)

Hawk200

The leftmost pic was sent to me by a friend still active duty. It took a minute for the pic to load, so I didn't see the pants at first, but I honestly thought it was some kind of joke. A "tropic uniform" joke.

I am glad that the button up undershirt thing didn't make it. It looked a lot like one of the undershirts on Star Trek:Enterprise.

PHall

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 24, 2011, 04:30:51 PMI am glad that the button up undershirt thing didn't make it. It looked a lot like one of the undershirts on Star Trek:Enterprise.

Wear it with a blue CAP flight suit and the "right" patches and you'll look like a crewmember from NX-01.

Hawk200

Quote from: PHall on August 25, 2011, 02:08:10 AM
Quote from: Hawk200 on August 24, 2011, 04:30:51 PMI am glad that the button up undershirt thing didn't make it. It looked a lot like one of the undershirts on Star Trek:Enterprise.

Wear it with a blue CAP flight suit and the "right" patches and you'll look like a crewmember from NX-01.
Exactly. And that's not a look we need to cultivate. No matter how much the Air Force wants to be the "Aerospace Force."