Poll: Do you think CAP will ever wear ABUs?

Started by RiverAux, August 18, 2011, 07:58:24 PM

What do you think is most likely to happen (not what you WANT to happen)?

CAP will eventually wear ABUs
The AF will switch to something else before CAP starts wearing ABUs and that CAP will eventually move directly to the next uniform, whatever that may be, and will stay in BDUs until then.
CAP will stop wearing an AF-style field uniform and will either go to all BBDUs or some other non-AF style uniform.
No opinion.
CAP will wear BDUs until the end of time.

SarDragon

Well, if you barf on your utility uniform, then you'd have a PUDU.  :P >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ol'fido

Quote from: BillB on August 19, 2011, 10:45:23 PM
Why don't we replace the BDU with the ABU?
v
v
v
v
(waiting for ol'fido to puke all over his keyboard)
Brrraaacckkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!! ;D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

BillB

Hey there are 11 votes that CAP will drop the AF uniform andf go to BBDUs.    How did RM get to vote 11 times?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

ol'fido

Well, half of us want to stay in BDUs(but change the color of the tapes). Half of us want to switch to ABUs(but change the color of the tapes). And half of us want to change to [insert the name of your favorite camo pattern here](but change the color of the tapes). Another half want to go to something different altogether(but change the color of the tapes). And Radioman is still scared crapless that we'll somehow be confused with military and be called "wannabes"(but he wants to change the color of the tapes(to red)). How many times do we need to re-,re-,re-,re-,re-,(can I get away with one more re-)(thanks!)re-hash this whole conversation.  :P :P ;D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

a2capt

Quote from: titanII on August 19, 2011, 10:02:26 PMFairly true. All the discussing on CAP Talk in the world won't bring ABU's any closer or farther to use in CAP.
Dunno.. you can see how one post in another thread seems to have been used as a catapult for an action ... one post.  ;)

Ned

Quote from: a2capt on August 20, 2011, 03:07:07 PM
Dunno.. you can see how one post in another thread seems to have been used as a catapult for an action ... one post.  ;)

Interestingly enough, the National Uniform Committee met on Friday night here in Louisville and now that we have completed most of the work on the corporate uniform recommendations, have now begun work on the USAF-style uniforms.

And one of our major topics of discussion was ABUs.  And we talked about many ofthe same things that ABU threads on CT have repeatedly discussed:  costs, availability, possible impending USAF changes, the necessity and USAF approval, and ensuring lengthy transition periods as necessary.

Now would be a good time to track down your region's representative to the NUC and express your views on the ABU issue.

Ned Lee
Member, NUC

davidsinn

Quote from: Ned on August 20, 2011, 03:26:59 PM

Interestingly enough, the National Uniform Committee met on Friday night here in Louisville and now that we have completed most of the work on the corporate uniform recommendations, have now begun work on the USAF-style uniforms.

And one of our major topics of discussion was ABUs.  And we talked about many ofthe same things that ABU threads on CT have repeatedly discussed:  costs, availability, possible impending USAF changes, the necessity and USAF approval, and ensuring lengthy transition periods as necessary.

Now would be a good time to track down your region's representative to the NUC and express your views on the ABU issue.

Ned Lee
Member, NUC

Can I put in a  request for a new 39-1 before ya'll go changing stuff? All I want is for the ICLs to be rolled in. Shouldn't take more than a few hours to do.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Major Carrales

QuoteThe AF will switch to something else before CAP starts wearing ABUs and that CAP will eventually move directly to the next uniform, whatever that may be, and will stay in BDUs until then.

Really?  Move "directly to the next uniform?"  No...I think not.  They would have to conduct their plethora of studies, hem and haw and then continually bicker until the replacement for the replacement for the replacement is lining the walls of museums and thriftshops all over the nation.

Meanwhile, BDUS remain until they are no longer manufactured to the standards set to what will then be the standards of a decade or more before.

Then we will have CAPTALKERS knocking the only existing BDUs as not meeting standard, or having a less then standard pattern or many more things yet to be created in the SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME.

Therefore...I voted "NO OPINION" in protest.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

DrJbdm

Ya know, back in the very early 90's CAP switched to BDU's. The AF had switched several years before then. I was a cadet in the late 80's till the beginning of the 90's.

I'm sure had we had Captalk back then, we would have had the same arguments and opinions we have now. I'm positive some people in CAP thought we would never go to BDU since fatigues were still available and there simply was not a reason to make a switch.......same arguments we have now.

In time, because we are the U.S. Air Force Auxiliary we will make a transition into ABU's, we have transitioned into every other Air Force uniform since the history of our organization.

RiverAux

The difference this time is that there seems to be every possibility that the AF may make a switch to something else in the near future. That wasn't the case during the green to BDU transition.

If it seemed solid that ABUs would be the AF uniform for the next 10 years or so, I'd agree that CAP would switch to them, but that doesn't look like a sure thing this time.

RADIOMAN015

I hope we will go to one field uniform and one flight uniform that EVERYONE can wear and that's how I voted, since again from a public relations standpoint it provides easy identification/uniqueness  and potential branding support.  HOWEVER, there needs to be a very long transition period (3 years).  Also I really don't think economically most of the membership is interested in any new uniforms that would require a complete change of everything.
RM

The CyBorg is destroyed

We will not get ABU's, considering that their future in the AF is doubtful.

I agree with RiverAux's assessment.

Personally, as I've said, I would like to see us go to solid green BDU's...it would be a nod to our heritage (especially if the CAP "overseas" shoulder crest were worn), it would look "military" and it could not be confused with what any Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine or Coastie is wearing.  We could conceivably wear them with solid green subdued tapes and grade insignia; it is a CAP-distinctive (as much as I hate that term) uniform and does not require AF approval.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

DrJbdm

RM, please leave CAP and join the Salvation Army, maybe you could find happiness there. Actually the US Ranger Corps needs members.......could be for you!!  ;D

JC004

Quote from: davidsinn on August 20, 2011, 03:39:17 PM

Ned Lee
Member, NUC

Can I put in a  request for a new 39-1 before ya'll go changing stuff? All I want is for the ICLs to be rolled in. Shouldn't take more than a few hours to do.

*grumble*  That's what my CAP uniform site was for...  grrrrrr...

Ned, can we get the slides from the NB meeting for the uniform committee?

The CyBorg is destroyed

I have a feeling that the NB is going to do very little to resolve the ambiguity of "not being confused with the Armed Forces," not without getting us out of the AF uniform entirely (save it, RM).  Why?  Because they can't.  Unless it's so completely different in cut and shade of blue (think RAF grey-blue, RAAF midnight blue or Luftwaffe graublau), there's always going to be someone choosing not to look any further to recognise it is a CAP uniform.

And, unfortunately, that means that we're probably stuck with the grey/white/blazer. >:(
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

JC004

Not if Radioman gets a red service uniform implemented...

Tim Medeiros

Ned Lee
Member, NUC
Can we get a list of the members so we might track them down?
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

a2capt

Quote from: JC004 on August 20, 2011, 08:57:45 PMNot if Radioman gets a red service uniform implemented...
Then the Red Service Ribbon would ... have to be changed.  ;D

titanII

Quote from: RiverAux on August 20, 2011, 07:03:54 PM
The difference this time is that there seems to be every possibility that the AF may make a switch to something else in the near future. That wasn't the case during the green to BDU transition.

If it seemed solid that ABUs would be the AF uniform for the next 10 years or so, I'd agree that CAP would switch to them, but that doesn't look like a sure thing this time.
Hey, that's what I was gonna say...     ;D

+1

I don't think we can make an accurate prediction on this matter, because it's not clear whether or not USAF will stick with ABU's for much longer.
No longer active on CAP talk

abdsp51

Theres been nothing through channels about a change, except the multicam pattern for Afghanistan.