Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 23, 2019, 12:51:15 AM
Home Help Login Register
News:

CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  The Lobby  |  Topic: official "I'm here!" thread.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] Print
Author Topic: official "I'm here!" thread.  (Read 308861 times)
Eclipse
Too Much Free Time Award

« Reply #1460 on: January 10, 2019, 07:10:00 PM »

The SQ/CC has no clue where I fit in with those limitations

Really, I would suggest not fixating on it, beyond any accommodations you might need for regular meetings.

By far the vast majority of CAP activities and work are done sitting at a desk or table typing on a laptop,
or presenting a class, or similar office-type situations.

Ground ES might be an issue, but Urban DF could be OK, and assuming you can fly in a GA plane, aircrew.

There's also a whole host of ES roles in the Command post that don't require much physical exertion, but
are critical to success.

I would suggest attaneding meetings, seeing what CAP is about and where the needs are, and then seeing
about filling a role.

There's also nothing which is "all or nothing" and if you take on something that is too much, or that you need to
occasionally step away from, no harm or foul, just have to make sure things are covered.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 10:12:29 PM by Eclipse » Logged

baronet68
Forum Regular

Unit: PCR-WA-001

McChord.org
« Reply #1461 on: January 10, 2019, 09:07:14 PM »

The SQ/CC has no clue where I fit in with those limitations

As a former Squadron CC, I had someone just like you... and she was an amazing asset to the unit!! 

Besides appointing herself as the "Squadron Mom" (where she took special note of birthdays, arranged squadron potlucks, and helped with open houses), she also worked with coordinating fundraising activities, was our assistant Testing Officer, was a driving force on the Finance Committee, and occasionally assisted the Squadron Chaplain. 

She even participated in a first aid class with one of her cadet sons that ended up saving her life:

Quote from: Lifesaving Award Citation
At approximately 6:20pm on October 19, 2003, Beverly Curtice (mother of Cadet Kenneth Griswold) was sitting at the kitchen table while Cadet Griswold was assisting with dinner preparations.

Ongoing medical conditions require Cadet Griswold's mother to take a large number of daily prescription medications twice daily. While sitting at the kitchen table taking her evening medications, Beverly began to choke.

At first, Cadet Griswold thought his mother was playing some kind of prank but he quickly realized that her sudden silence, panicked look, and the grasping of her hands around her own neck (the international choking sign) were not in jest but that this was a serious, life-threatening condition.

After recognizing the situation, Cadet Griswold remained calm and began to administer abdominal thrusts (commonly known as the "Heimlich Maneuver") in an attempt to dislodge the blockage in his mother's throat. His first attempts were unsuccessful so Cadet Griswold continued the abdominal thrusts until the blockage was dislodged and his mother began to gasp for air.

Luckily, Cadet Griswold was among the Cadets and Senior Members of his squadron who had just completed an American Red Cross Standard First Aid Course only a few days prior to his mother's choking incident.

Cadet Griswold's ability to recognize an emergency, remain calm, and follow the appropriate emergency steps learned through his American Red Cross training resulted in him saving his mother's life.

Sadly, she stopped participating after her boys had all graduated high school and left the program.

If you are motivated to fill similar niches yourself, and your Squadron Commander still has no clue where you fit in... tell him I said, "He's not trying very hard."

Michael Moore, Maj, CAP
Secret Wing Staff Dude, WAWG
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] Print 
CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  The Lobby  |  Topic: official "I'm here!" thread.