Nomex flight suit sizing

Started by BradM, July 12, 2011, 06:30:55 PM

BradM

Hello, I have a size 42 chest and I'm 5' 7 1/2" with no shoes. When I buy a sport jacket I'm a 42 Short (because of my arm length). Is anyone else my size? I'm wondering if I'm a 42R or a 42S?
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

PHall

I'm the same height as you are and we're right on the border between short and regular.
My current flight suit is a regular. Legs are a touch long but it's a better fit in the torso.

Short Field

Unless your squadron has a stash of flight suits, you need to find a good surplus store and try on the sizes to see what fits.  Body type has a lot to do with how a flight suit fits as well so it is best to try them on. 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

a2capt

Or.. if you've got, or tried on a nomex flight jacket. The sizes got the same nomenclature. Then the S, R or T. Short, Regular or Tall. .. are you <average> ...

Persona non grata

If the 42 r fits juat right in the torso but is longer in the legs, remove the zippers at the legs and get the suit hemmed.  I had this done with the blue utility.  I aint like we are going to be wearing G suits.  Alos sew down where the zipper was.
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

peter rabbit

I am your height, usually wear a 43. I got a 46S flight suit. The length is perfect. I got the larger size to make it easier fo move around and get in/out of the flight suit.

teesquared

From my experience I'd say if you wear a 42S suit coat, you're going to need either a 44S or maybe 46S flight suit.
Maj Terry Thompson
DP/DA   RMR-CO-147

Flyer

Do the Flight suits run small? I am in the process of buying one but cannot find a local place to try them on for size.
SM CAP

Hawk200

Quote from: Flyer on July 23, 2011, 01:51:09 PM
Do the Flight suits run small? I am in the process of buying one but cannot find a local place to try them on for size.
That's one of those loaded questions, whether you realize it or not. Flight uniforms tend to fit snug to avoid snagging on things in the aircraft.

For best sizing, take your suit coat size and go to the next even chest size up. 42 suit coat would equal 44 flightsuit. Length (short, regular, long) is the same length measurements as the BDU. A regular length is 67 to 71 inches (5'7" to 5'11"). Short and long lengths are 4 inches less and more, respectively.

Don't match the size to your sportcoat, it will be so snug you will have problems breathing.