How do you talk to another agency via radio?

Started by EmergencyManager6, June 10, 2011, 11:40:08 PM

arajca

CAP uses USAF/DoD radio channels and is considered a federal agency, which is one reason we fall under the NTIA instead of the FCC.

lordmonar

Quote from: EmergencyManager6 on July 04, 2011, 09:22:03 PM
Can you site were CAP is authorized to use the IR freq?   

IR freq's are for Federal Incident response ONLY.  Im pretty sure CAP cant just use an IR freq anytime they want...

We would not use it when "anytime they want..." only when we are trying to coordinate with other agencies.....like in a multi jurisdictional incident....which is why they have the IR freq in the first place.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

EmergencyManager6

right.  but IR freq's are only usable on a "National" event, and when talking to a "federal agency'  Were does CAP qualify as a federal agency?

cap235629

Quote from: EmergencyManager6 on July 05, 2011, 01:24:40 AM
right.  but IR freq's are only usable on a "National" event, and when talking to a "federal agency'  Were does CAP qualify as a federal agency?

at anytime we are on an AFAM
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

ammotrucker

Quote from: cap235629 on July 05, 2011, 01:40:21 AM
Quote from: EmergencyManager6 on July 05, 2011, 01:24:40 AM

at anytime we are on an AFAM

First off, if NOC approved this scenario it would most likely not be a Federal mission as you discribe it.  It at most likely would be a C-14 County MOU mission or B-14 State MOU mission.  If requested through the State.  Not the County.

Secondly, I beleive that you could not use the IR freqs from the NIFOG as they are for federal response not local.  Each state would have the local IR freqs for that.  That is if the State and County TICP updated, and the state and county agencies had there radio reprogramed correctly.
RG Little, Capt

Mark_Wheeler

In California, there is a Statewide Mutual Aid VHF-FM Channel (CALCORD) that all our corporate Portable, Mobile and aircraft radios have programmed into them. That should give us contact with just about anyone we need to talk to.

Mark

sdcapmx

When we are called upon by state and local agencies we coordinate comm with them on one of their state frequencies.  We have them programmed into our radios and talk directly with them on their freqs.  Often times when doing flood sorties for them we will launch and receive objectives from them while airborne.  We will overfly the objectives, take pics and describe to them what the situation is and what may be causing it.  They will then dispatch crews to go mitigate the problem.  We only use the state frequencies when they request us to have comm with them.  CAP to CAP with no third party involved we only use the CAP freqs.

Buzz

Quote from: Major Lord on June 11, 2011, 02:46:49 AMI thought that throwing in "Civil Air Patrol" would have been just too many words

I've worked with the Coasties numerous times in various areas, they knew who we are without my having to explain.

The easy way to figure it, the PROS know about CAP, the local volunteer posses may not.

Buzz

My solution to the cross-commo problem is having the freqs that I am likely to need programmed into my Astro Saber, with the option of rapidly reprogramming it in the field.

If someone tells me to use their freq, I have them write that instruction in my notebook and SIGN IT.  That way, if anyone has a problem with it, I can show that I was authorized (and if they didn't have that authority, that's their problem).

When I was in an area where public safety was trunked at 800 MHz, I got with their commo people and got a blanket permission and callsign assignment, then bought an 800 MHz Astro Saber (cheap on Fleabay), turning it around for what I paid a year later when I left the area.

BTW, I got into the Astro Saber because I had standardized on the Saber platform back in the 1990s.  If you keep your eyes open, you can get radio and accys cheap.  The programming software from Ma Batwings cost me more than the radios did (or pay $40 to have the tech bench program for you).

EmergencyManager6

Quote from: Buzz on July 21, 2011, 01:25:19 AM
My solution to the cross-commo problem is having the freqs that I am likely to need programmed into my Astro Saber, with the option of rapidly reprogramming it in the field.

If someone tells me to use their freq, I have them write that instruction in my notebook and SIGN IT.  That way, if anyone has a problem with it, I can show that I was authorized (and if they didn't have that authority, that's their problem).

When I was in an area where public safety was trunked at 800 MHz, I got with their commo people and got a blanket permission and callsign assignment, then bought an 800 MHz Astro Saber (cheap on Fleabay), turning it around for what I paid a year later when I left the area.

BTW, I got into the Astro Saber because I had standardized on the Saber platform back in the 1990s.  If you keep your eyes open, you can get radio and accys cheap.  The programming software from Ma Batwings cost me more than the radios did (or pay $40 to have the tech bench program for you).

programming a trunked personality into a radio is not as simple as just putting in a freq.  they are dozens of variables.  System keys, crypto keys...  The system admin then has to assign you an ID on the system and enable you for specific talk groups.  Not something that is going to happen in the middle of an incident.  Thats why the Feds have created the interoperability channels in each band ... 

Astro saber essentially has the same guts as an XTS 3000.  Good radio.  not too clear on going out on a whim and buying one, unless your up to speed on DSP versions, and Mototola talk you will certainly get screwed buying on on ebay.

Buzz

That's why A), you get permission from the comm king (or queen), and B), with that permission, if you don't know what you are doing, you have the tech bench program for you.

As far as the various versions, this isn't as big an issue with the vast majority of trunked networks.  Most of them are just basic, because the services have various generations of equipment and need to be compatible with all of them. 

As far as cost, yes, I was lucky to get the Saber and Astro Saber at real deal prices, but even on Fleabay there are some good radios at good prices.  The last Astro I bought cost a little over $350 (with shipping), and came with the latest firmware, a couple of batteries, charger, speaker mic and other accessories.  If you're not in a hurry, you can find a deal like this.  Compare the price and feature set to the EFJ.

I have the RIB and the software, plus various other accessories, so staying with the Saber platform really makes sense for me, but for someone who only wants CAP / ES / Public Safety, it only needs to be programmed once anyhow.