Main Menu

Golden Pip

Started by sneakers, June 05, 2011, 05:23:56 AM

JC004

I knew what this would be from the topic title.  I remember many a golden pip as a cadet.

jimmydeanno

I remember getting my Mitchell in 1998.  At the time, three other cadets in my squadron got them the same day.  We were all promoted to C/FO.

I worked my tail off to get through the two achievements between C/FO and C/2d Lt, while my peers did nothing to advance.

I completed the two achievements and got promoted to C/2d Lt.  My peers still hadn't begun working towards it. 

Then, the phase out date for C/FO happened and they were all instantly promoted to C/2d Lt.  I was a bit aggravated, to say the least.  However, my drive brought me through the Eaker in the minimum time, while only one of my peers earned the Earhart.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

m981

c/wo Nov 74, unnumbered Mitchell, worn on epaulets, heard they went on boards much later on.
LTC. CAP
Spaatz
Wilson

LTC Don

c/WO, late 1982, Colorado Springs Cadet Squadron   8)

Cheers,
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

Flying Pig

C/FO R. Steht.  1991

Ned

Quote from: m981 on June 08, 2011, 10:44:53 AM
c/wo Nov 74, unnumbered Mitchell, worn on epaulets, heard they went on boards much later on.

Also C/WO early 70's.  At the time, C/WO went on the collar.  Shoulder boards were reserved for C/2dLt and above.

And both cadet and senior WOs were addressed as "Mister."  (Including the women, since the reg was explicit and did not seem to anticipate female warrant officers.  ;) )

Persona non grata

Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

JBC

Quote from: Dracosbane on June 06, 2011, 02:54:00 AM
I was a golden pipper.  C/FO in the mid to late 90s.  I always wondered why they didn't use the gold pip as C/2Lt, the silver as C/1Lt and the two silvers as C/Cpt.  I guess that's too close to mil rank.
No its because we have to hijack the army rotc ranks for some strange reason.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: JBC on July 26, 2011, 11:20:16 PM
I was a golden pipper.  C/FO in the mid to late 90s.  I always wondered why they didn't use the gold pip as C/2Lt, the silver as C/1Lt and the two silvers as C/Cpt.  I guess that's too close to mil rank.

I was always under the impression ROTC took OUR grade insignia, not the other way around. 

SarDragon

Quote from: JBC on July 26, 2011, 11:20:16 PM

Hijack? That's a little harsh, isn't it?

Does that mean all the police and fire department members shouldn't be wearing the same rank insignia that the military folks wear?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ZigZag911

C/WO, December 1971

wacapgh

Quote from: Ned on June 08, 2011, 03:54:05 PM
Quote from: m981 on June 08, 2011, 10:44:53 AM

Also C/WO early 70's.  At the time, C/WO went on the collar.  Shoulder boards were reserved for C/2dLt and above.

And both cadet and senior WOs were addressed as "Mister."  (Including the women, since the reg was explicit and did not seem to anticipate female warrant officers.  ;) )

I had forgotten about the no boards for Warrants rule back then!

Some good natured ribbing was had with "Shall be addressed as Mister"  ;D

C/WO, Jan 1978 (Unnumbered)

N Harmon

C/FO N. Harmon, 1996.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

ProdigalJim

C/WO 1981

LTC Robert S. Vankeuren Cadet Squadron
Syracuse NY (may it R.I.P.)
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV