Main Menu

Portable Radio

Started by spreilly, May 24, 2011, 08:14:04 PM

arajca

The ToA is not for GTL, it's for the GT. If Sqdn A has a GT with two GTLs and one GTL moves to Sqdn B which does not have a GT the equipment stays with sqdn A. Nowhere did I say it can be issued to "anyone" as you say in youyr rebuttal.

A long running discussion among the wing DCs is how to distribute the equipment. Each wing has its own policy. As a wing DC, I have been told by national that the equipment stays with the team, not the GTL.

The equipment has been assigned to the units, who determine which qualified members get the equipment issued. No units that I'm aware of have enough equipment to issue to every qualified member.

argentip

As a fellow Wing DC, I agree with Andrew.  We issue GT-specific radios (above what we allocate as "normal equipment" to all of our squadrons) based on the Wing DOS informing us that the particular squadron has a functional GT.  The radios then stay with that squadron until they no longer meet the Wing requirements of having a GT (yearly review process).  We've been adding more teams over the past few years than losing them, so we are not "stealing" equipment back from deserving units.

I also agree with an earlier post that someone made.  We issue all radios to the squadron, and they manage who they are assigned to.  The only radios that are left on the xx-001 inventory are those that are assigned to Wing Staff members, corporate vehicles, or Incident Command Trailers.  We also have very few radios that are "sitting on shelves" at Wing HQ.  The ones that are there are for spares if something happens to one of the radios in the field, or if additional resources are needed for some particular mission, exercise, or activity.  Keeping too many assets on the 001 inventory makes the yearly inventory process a NIGHTMARE!
Phil Argenti, Col, CAP
GLR-IN-001

Eclipse

Quote from: argentip on May 26, 2011, 05:45:33 PM
As a fellow Wing DC, I agree with Andrew.  We issue GT-specific radios (above what we allocate as "normal equipment" to all of our squadrons) based on the Wing DOS informing us that the particular squadron has a functional GT.  The radios then stay with that squadron until they no longer meet the Wing requirements of having a GT (yearly review process).  We've been adding more teams over the past few years than losing them, so we are not "stealing" equipment back from deserving units.

Not all wings operate their ES at the unit level, and not all units have coherent "GT's".

I also agree with an earlier post that someone made.  We issue all radios to the squadron, and they manage who they are assigned to.  The only radios that are left on the xx-001 inventory are those that are assigned to Wing Staff members, corporate vehicles, or Incident Command Trailers.  We also have very few radios that are "sitting on shelves" at Wing HQ.  The ones that are there are for spares if something happens to one of the radios in the field, or if additional resources are needed for some particular mission, exercise, or activity.  Keeping too many assets on the 001 inventory makes the yearly inventory process a NIGHTMARE!

To be clear, the equipment is issued and sits on the inventory at the respective unit the person is assigned to.  It is not on -001's books.  However
you may note that it is an SUI / CI / annual inventory issue that all equipment be issued to a person, not the unit generically.

Equipment spares and other unassigned gear at wing level is not part of this discussion.

"That Others May Zoom"

argentip

Quote from: Eclipse on May 26, 2011, 05:59:22 PM
However you may note that it is an SUI / CI / annual inventory issue that all equipment be issued to a person, not the unit generically.

It is best that all equipment be issued to a person, but it is not required.  For example, if the unit has a radio set up at their meeting location, it just needs to have the location entered into ORMS "Location" field for that asset.
Phil Argenti, Col, CAP
GLR-IN-001

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Eclipse on May 26, 2011, 05:59:22 PM

Not all wings operate their ES at the unit level, and not all units have coherent "GT's".
Perhaps that's why we have differing perceptions of "policy."  Individual wings may have created their own policies to reflect local needs.  I'm unaware of any provision in CAPR's or other national policy memos that require issuance of portable radios to individuals.  (Assigning gear to kits is permitted in ORMS.)  Perhaps something exists that I missed.  Until then I'm of the opinion leaving room for local flexibility is a good thing, as long as national policies are complied with.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

kd8gua

I own a Motorola MT-2000 160 channel portable radio. Does narrowband (2.5 kHz) channels and covers 136-174. It is however analog. I also own a Motorola XTS-2500. This is an 800+ channel radio. I don't even know the max number... I'll probably never hit it! It does P25 digital as well as analog. It can do narrow or wide band as well. The range is also 136-174. I got a heck of a deal on both of them, $200 for the MT-2000 three years ago, and $500 for the XTS-2500 just a few months ago.

If you can find a good deal, Motorola is a good way to go, though I also like the Johnson 5100. That plus EFJohnson takes Motorola equipment, and changes just enough to go from being "copyright infringment" to "interoperability." Motorola chargers, batteries, and microphones usually always work on Johnson portables. Any commercial grade (and NTIA compliant) equipment is usually rugged for outdoor use.
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer
Columbus Composite Squadron

Assistant Cadet Programs Activities Officer
Ohio Wing HQ