Latest Squadron Website (NY-408)

Started by Pylon, May 13, 2011, 03:10:21 PM

Pylon

I guess I'll add to the sharing of squadron websites here, and share the pet project I've been working on for a few months now.  I just rolled our squadron's newest website public yesterday.  It runs on WordPress.

http://www.oswegocap.org/

This is phase 1.  My planned phase 2 for this project involves more content for cadet recruiting, parents, educators, and current cadets as well as much more robust and engaging "volunteer" (aka: recruiting for senior members) and "donate" sections.   Phase 3 involves a public awareness aerospace educational section with local flavor.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

elipod

Ok. Wow. Now that is a website!

What template do you use?
"Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else"

JC004

I'm considering now whether it may be a good idea to develop some kind of guide for units to use WordPress as the base for their sites.  Of course, I still have to work on getting my ES materials, possibly Android app, and other stuff out in my spare time (which has been thin recently).

I could include some of my proprietary stuff.

Spaceman3750

I really like the site, though it feels pretty slow on my connection. Also, why don't you talk about ground assets on your requesting support page (unless, of course, you don't have any ground assets)?

EDIT: I really like your use of Volunteermatch! I had never thought about that before.

Pylon

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 13, 2011, 04:49:05 PM
I really like the site, though it feels pretty slow on my connection. Also, why don't you talk about ground assets on your requesting support page (unless, of course, you don't have any ground assets)?

EDIT: I really like your use of Volunteermatch! I had never thought about that before.

Thanks!  Consolidating our openings with VolunteerMatch also helps push the opportunities out to a much wider audience than just those strolling by our site.  And by merging that to our website means they only need to be updated in one place.  You'll notice I used more "non-CAP"-friendly terms for various duty positions (i.e.: Youth Program Supplies Coordinator rather than Logistics Officer) since the former is much more clear and apparent to the outsider over the latter.

We're working on building up ground assets from our squadron, but a full-fledged ground team does not exist at this time.  Only two or three GTM3s and no GTLs.  I'm a firm believer in never overselling.  What if a county worker or sheriff's office read about CAP's Ground Team program on our site and inquired about requesting CAP support only to find out we have no such capability in the area.  That could ruin a potential relationship before it even begins.

Quote from: JC004 on May 13, 2011, 04:47:15 PM
I'm considering now whether it may be a good idea to develop some kind of guide for units to use WordPress as the base for their sites.  Of course, I still have to work on getting my ES materials, possibly Android app, and other stuff out in my spare time (which has been thin recently).

I could include some of my proprietary stuff.

Yes!   In fact your strategies and ideas for WordPress development were a major inspiration in organizing and producing this site.

Quote from: elipod on May 13, 2011, 03:24:36 PM
What template do you use?

Modified version of WhiteHousePro by Pagelines.

JC004

Quote from: Pylon on May 13, 2011, 05:35:45 PM
Yes!   In fact your strategies and ideas for WordPress development were a major inspiration in organizing and producing this site.

Well I did notice some of my plugins and things in use there.  Much more is coming in the updated setup that is based on WordPress 3, instead of WordPress 2.9.2, which we had to use in August.

EmergencyManager6

Quote from: Pylon on May 13, 2011, 03:10:21 PM
I guess I'll add to the sharing of squadron websites here, and share the pet project I've been working on for a few months now.  I just rolled our squadron's newest website public yesterday.  It runs on WordPress.

http://www.oswegocap.org/

This is phase 1.  My planned phase 2 for this project involves more content for cadet recruiting, parents, educators, and current cadets as well as much more robust and engaging "volunteer" (aka: recruiting for senior members) and "donate" sections.   Phase 3 involves a public awareness aerospace educational section with local flavor.

I do like the Florida Wing members in your pictures! hahaha

Pylon

Quote from: EmergencyManager6 on May 13, 2011, 07:08:30 PM
I do like the Florida Wing members in your pictures! hahaha

;D ;)   I should have also mentioned that planned in phase 2 or 3 are some actual photography shoots to produce high quality, compelling imagery for the site and the squadron's recruiting materials.  However, in the absence of a lot of that, my philosophy is that a representative (aka: not misleading) photo that's high quality is much preferable to using a mediocre and not-very-inspiring photo just because the subjects happen to be from the unit in question. 

Remember: 95% of the purpose of a squadron website is sales:  compelling people to think about volunteering as SMs, joining as cadets, or using our services.  The images ought to be compelling and engaging, otherwise you're wasting an opportunity to make an impact.

Quote from: JC004 on May 13, 2011, 06:42:55 PM
Well I did notice some of my plugins and things in use there.  Much more is coming in the updated setup that is based on WordPress 3, instead of WordPress 2.9.2, which we had to use in August.

I'm in love with your link icon plugin.  You need to license this for a fee!  It's gold.