FLWG Unit Citation?

Started by DC, April 17, 2011, 05:40:11 PM

davidsinn

Quote from: EMT-83 on April 23, 2011, 02:09:23 AM
In eServices, I believe that 001 shows everyone in the Wing. It confuses the heck out of me every time I try to look up someone at Wing HQ.

Click the box "show unit only." I have group level permissions for member reports and have to do that to isolate the three people actually assigned to group.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

starshippe

. . doesn't someone have to type the names, somewhere?

bill

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on April 23, 2011, 02:15:44 AMThe entire wing is a unit - California Wing. CA001 is California Wing Headquarters. I have seen other PAs with that terminology, and the award was to just the wing staff assigned to CA001.

No, the entire wing is not a unit, it is a collection of units.  That's why there are independent charters, and separate staff for each unit, and the ability to assign people specifically, including permissions and authority, unless, of course, everyone in CAWG (etc) has CA001 on their membership card.

CA001 is a specific group of people with a non-operational, headquarters responsibility.  It is not the entire wing.

Quote from: SarDragon on April 23, 2011, 02:15:44 AMHow many people were listed on the Katrina PAs? We're talking somewhere between 6,000 and 7,000 members for the UCA I posted. You going to type that up for us?
Just because something isn't "easy" doesn't make it "wrong" - do you think the military issues blanket orders or decs without, at some point, specific individuals being named?

If it really is "all", you can gen a list into an excel spreadsheet pretty easily, if it isn't "all", then I've already provided a simple process to cull the correct names.

"That Others May Zoom"

EmergencyManager6

Eclipse..  we are NOT the military.

Whats the big deal?

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Quote from: Eclipse on April 23, 2011, 02:30:27 AM
No, the entire wing is not a unit, it is a collection of units.  That's why there are independent charters, and separate staff for each unit, and the ability to assign people specifically, including permissions and authority, unless, of course, everyone in CAWG (etc) has CA001 on their membership card.
A Wing is not a unit?  20-1 would disagree.  As would the entire history of the US military.  Is a Division not a unit because the brigades and battalions within it each have their own separate honors and lineage and staff?

However, it is true that the charter number used for Wing headquarter elements (001) is unique to the members assigned to Wing staff.  It would be incorrect to use that 001 as a stand-in to represent the entire Wing.  In fact, CAP NHQ DIDN"T do this.  Someone else tried to say that the award was for 001 when the PA clearly said "Florida Wing" rather than "Florida Wing Headquarters".  I believe I have seen awards go just to wing headquarters before. 

SarDragon

Just because something isn't "easy" doesn't make it "wrong" - do you think the military issues blanket orders or decs without, at some point, specific individuals being named?

Indeed they do. I have two NEMs, two Battle E's, and a MUC that have no accompanying name lists. Sec Nav puts out the order (PA) stating the unit(s) an award goes to, and lets the units figure whose record to make the entries in.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spaceman3750

MSG Mac

Quote from: RiverAux on April 23, 2011, 03:04:18 AM
A Wing is not a unit?  20-1 would disagree.  As would the entire history of the US military.  Is a Division not a unit because the brigades and battalions within it each have their own separate honors and lineage and staff?

However, it is true that the charter number used for Wing headquarter elements (001) is unique to the members assigned to Wing staff.  It would be incorrect to use that 001 as a stand-in to represent the entire Wing.  In fact, CAP NHQ DIDN"T do this.  Someone else tried to say that the award was for 001 when the PA clearly said "Florida Wing" rather than "Florida Wing Headquarters".  I believe I have seen awards go just to wing headquarters before.

If the citation is intended for the Wing Headquarters, the citation will read "Headquarters, XX Wing", if intended for the whole wing, it will read "XX Wing"
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

RiverAux

Kaye Downing

This is the PA we received from our new Wing Commander concerning the UC.

PERSONNEL AUTHORIZATION 22 April 2011
No. 11-014
Florida Wing has been awarded a Unit Citation from National Headquarters, Civil Air Patrol, for
outstanding achievements, exceptional service and a high degree of performance.
All members of Florida Wing who were in good standing between 1 February 2008 and 9 April 2011 are
authorized to wear the Unit Citation Award Ribbon (first award) or, if appropriate, an additional bronze
clasp to be added to the first award. The award also applies to wing personnel who were members during
the above period, but have since transferred.
This is the eleventh time the membership of Florida Wing has been honored with a Unit Citation Award.
Previous Unit Citations were awarded as follows:
Citation Dates Reason for Award
UNIT CITATION AWARD 13 Aug 2004 - 30 Sep 2004 Florida Hurricanes
UNIT CITATION AWARD 11 Sep 2001 - 17 Sep 2001 Operation Enduring
Vigilance
UNIT CITATION AWARD 16 Jun 1998 - 8 Jul 1999 Florida Fires Support
UNIT CITATION AWARD 2 Jul 1994 - 21 Jul 1994
UNIT CITATION AWARD 23 Aug 1992 - 30 Sep 1992 Hurricane Andrew
UNIT CITATION AWARD 1 Jan 1985 - 31 Dec 1988
UNIT CITATION AWARD 1 Jan 1980 - 20 Jun 1980
UNIT CITATION AWARD 1 Jul 1978 - 30 Jun 1979
UNIT CITATION AWARD 1965
UNIT CITATION AWARD 1964
Michael N. Cook, Col, CAP Distribution:
Commander 1 – Each Individual
1 – Personnel Officer
1 – File
HEADQUARTERS FLORIDA WING
CIVIL AIR PATROL
United States Air Force Auxiliary
14750 NW 44th Court
Opa Locka, FL 33054

Kaye Downing, Capt., CAP
Jacksonville Composite Squadron
FL-383

JoeTomasone

Quote from: EMT-83 on April 23, 2011, 02:09:23 AM
In eServices, I believe that 001 shows everyone in the Wing. It confuses the heck out of me every time I try to look up someone at Wing HQ.

No, 001 contains only those assigned to Wing Headquarters.   There is no unit designator that contains everyone in the Wing.

EMT-83

My member search for 001 shows all senior and cadet members in the wing. If I click View Unit Only, just wing HQ members show up.

Not that this means that everyone in the wing belongs to 001, just that eServices shows it that way.

Eclipse

eServices will show you all the members at the highest echelon you have rights to - clicking 001 will show you the whole wing, including
subordinate units, clicking the charter number for a Group will show you the group staff and all subordinate units.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: SarDragon on April 23, 2011, 02:15:44 AMThe entire wing is a unit - California Wing. CA001 is California Wing Headquarters. I have seen other PAs with that terminology, and the award was to just the wing staff assigned to CA001.

CA001 is a specific group of people with a non-operational, headquarters responsibility.  It is not the entire wing.

Quote from: SarDragon on April 23, 2011, 02:15:44 AMHow many people were listed on the Katrina PAs? We're talking somewhere between 6,000 and 7,000 members for the UCA I posted. You going to type that up for us?

If it really is "all", you can gen a list into an excel spreadsheet pretty easily, if it isn't "all", then I've already provided a simple process to cull the correct names.
Yes Eclipse....the military only names the UNIT in a UNIT citation.  In fact it is up the the individual military member to take their documentation to their MPF to get credit for an award.  There is never any correlation between a AFOUA and individual members....unless the specific unit goes out of their way and make sure it happens.  They will usually take care of current members....but departed members are on their own.

So Eclipse...since you were never in the military...please stop trying to use your incomplete knowledge to support you asinine positions.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

You've just made my argument for me - "FLWG" is not a "unit" in the context that the UC is awarded.  FL001 is, and FL347 is, but "FLWG" is not.

Why is there no expectation that decorations like these be processed in an unambiguous manner for the sake of the membership?

It's always "too hard", or "too much trouble", etc., to take 20 minutes and generate a mail-merge document or a proper PA so that all those
eligible know they are, and those that aren't know that as well.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Are you nuts?  Just where in CAP regulations does it say that a Wing is not a "unit" eligible for a unit commendation?  50 years of CAP history documents such awards going to entire wings. 

QuoteThere is no unit designator that contains everyone in the Wing.
Have you forgotten that every single member of a wing has the 2-letter abbreviation for that wing as part of their unit identification?  SER-FL-XXX in this case. 

In other words, if ANYONE actually thought that the point several of you are trying to make was important, someone could easily have said something like "Florida Wing (SER-FL) has earned...."

But, since common sense tells you that an award that goes to Florida Wing goes to all members assigned to Florida Wing units, it isn't necessary. 

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on April 24, 2011, 01:58:12 PM
You've just made my argument for me - "FLWG" is not a "unit" in the context that the UC is awarded.  FL001 is, and FL347 is, but "FLWG" is not.

Why is there no expectation that decorations like these be processed in an unambiguous manner for the sake of the membership?

It's always "too hard", or "too much trouble", etc., to take 20 minutes and generate a mail-merge document or a proper PA so that all those
eligible know they are, and those that aren't know that as well.

You seem to be the only one who does not under stand that the term "Florida Wing" is in fact a unit.  You want to go and split hairs....go ahead. 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Have a great Easter everyone!

"That Others May Zoom"

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF