How did it take for you?

Started by C/SrAMoody, March 26, 2011, 09:45:46 PM

C/SrAMoody

I am trying my Wright Bros and It is my 2nd try is that bad? what do you think???

C/SrAMoody

Quote from: C/SrAMoody on March 26, 2011, 09:45:46 PM
I am trying my Wright Bros and It is my 2nd try is that bad? what do you think???
I meant 7th not 2nd

davidsinn

Quote from: C/SrAMoody on March 26, 2011, 09:46:38 PM
Quote from: C/SrAMoody on March 26, 2011, 09:45:46 PMI am trying my Wright Bros and It is my 2nd try is that bad? what do you think???
I meant 7th not 2nd
Have you been taking your tests online up until now?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

DC

Are you studying out of the old books or the new ones?

What are your study habits like, have you read Chapters 1 - 3 completely, made flash cards, tried making a study guide, or any of that?

Flying Pig

7 times?  Thats a concern.  What are your grades?  Perhaps you need to get with your cadet staff and discuss it.  Have you been having issues like this with your past tests?  Do you have any learing disabilities? Or are you like my son?  Just keep taking the online test and hope youll pass by process of elimintation?

Major Carrales

The trick to it is to avoid what a good deal of my students do.  When they take a test, they only memorize and study to pass that test and then, once it is over with, they can't remember it.  The Wright Bros. Test is "comprehensive," which means it is made up of information and materials covered in tests 1-3.

Take the advice of the previous posts 1) make sure your materials jive with the tests (there are two "tracks" now, an older version of the curriculum and a newer one, 2) adjust study habits, take a Saturday or Sunday and devote some time to study...there is a god chance that you are "living" the materials and that you but need to familiarize yourself with the proper terms for what you are doing and 3) be an intellectual pack rate, never throw away or waste information/data you have learned.

Also, once you have passed, I would suggest/recommend that you help to create a culture of study in the upcoming cadets.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Rowan

Enter "Practice quizzes" in the CAP knowledgebase and follow the links.  There are multiple-choice, matching and crossword puzzles for each Leadership and Aerospace chapter.  After studying the material, test your knowledge by taking a few of the practice quizzes and try to narrow down the areas that need further study.

Best of luck.   :D

majdomke

What I'm seeing from the new cadets, and I'm talking every single one, is that there are numerous test questions that have not been covered in the new Learn to Lead books. I'm about ready to crack open the test and see just how well this test, written for the L2K series, works for cadet in the L2L series. Anyone seeing this?

VPI18

He may be trying to take the L2K test while he is in the L2L curriculum. Each curriculum has its own WBA exam.

davidsinn

Quote from: wilhelm147 on March 29, 2011, 01:11:45 AM
He may be trying to take the L2K test while he is in the L2L curriculum. Each curriculum has its own WBA exam.

And as such the unit needs to request the new tests.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

DBlair

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 26, 2011, 11:08:28 PM
Or are you like my son?  Just keep taking the online test and hope youll pass by process of elimintation?

Quote from: wilhelm147 on March 29, 2011, 01:11:45 AM

These are both very common problems.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

a2capt

Thats really the oddball thing I think, too. IT seems that units have had to contact NHQ for the tests to be sent,  I would thk that would be some kind of automatic. IE, when the first new cadet after 1-July, 2010 joined that unit, trigger a flag that will show in a a weekly report that the test material needs to be sent as that unit will likely "need it soon". It would have also been nice if they sent them in PDF so that we could send the thing to a duplex printer or such, rather than play disassemble and paste-up.

I mean, the stuff is already "on line" and "open book" and not nearly as super secret as the last stuff.  But when the master they send you is back to back and page one of the next test begins on the back of the last ones' answer sheet, or the answer sheet is on the back of the last page, it makes more work to make sets to hand out for in-person testing.

Oh well. ;)

jimmydeanno

Quote from: a2capt on March 29, 2011, 03:12:47 AMIT seems that units have had to contact NHQ for the tests to be sent,  I would thk that would be some kind of automatic.

This issue is that not all the units have cadets.  They didn't want to just send out a packet of tests to units that had no need for it.  So, they opted for a unit, with cadets, who had one ready to take a milestone, to say they needed the new tests. 

QuoteI mean, the stuff is already "on line" and "open book" and not nearly as super secret as the last stuff.  But when the master they send you is back to back and page one of the next test begins on the back of the last ones' answer sheet, or the answer sheet is on the back of the last page, it makes more work to make sets to hand out for in-person testing.

The new tests are able to be printed from the administration module of the cadet testing portion of E-Services.  The mailed ones are the closed-book, milestones.  So, they are "super-secret" still. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

a2capt

Well, freaking d'oh. I totally forgot about that content in the Admin section of the online testing that I looked at at least three times in the past few days alone.  I was thinking "answer sheets" only were there..

..and why would that be.

But the reason I said what I said was because they also sent those when I asked for the milestone tests, and thats what was on my mind. 

The other reason I had called/asked was because at the time I hadn't dug up the new drill tests for these yet, either. I found them since, too.

So most of my point is moot. It's been a long day of BS. :) The ranting about the layout of the milestones sorta still sticks :)

At least CAP tomorrow night is bowling.

majdomke

I never even thought we would have the wrong version, especially since we just chartered last May. You'd think they would send both versions since they knew in less than two months everyone would start rolling over to the L2L books. Or at least send the newer version when it came out. It's frustrating to the cadets when they are failing a test 2-3 times yet previously did very well on all the online tests. Hmmm....

jimmydeanno

Every squadron was sent a copy of the new books and the new testing officer's quick reference sheet when the books published.  The new testing reference sheet has been available since Oct 2010 and replaces the one that went into effect on July 2010.

All the Wing DCPs were notified of all the changes and they were supposed to have notified their local units.

If a testing officer isn't sure if they're using the correct tests, please see here: http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/Testing_Officer_Quick_Reference__Oc_C7AF1B22AAE83.pdf
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

majdomke

That's strange... I just got done talking with NHQ and they never once said the materials were sent automatically. Here is their exact response "but to send out testing material is not automatic you will have to order when the new test was printed that information was put on e-sevices right where it says CAP news"

So, unless you read CAP news all the time and then read further to discover you must request it manually, you really never know.

I feel I do a pretty good job keeping up with news but somethings just get missed. I've noticed it much more this past year as NHQ moves to electronic versions only of documents/publications that were previously in print. For example, the latest version of Flight Time came out only in electronic format. Never knew it until I inquired with NHQ when we would received our copy. Now I understand the interest in saving money by switching to electronic versions. I also see the need to still print some things considering not all squadrons have Internet and can access it at their meetings. In our case, we were relegated to teaching the Character Development lesson from the PDF file on an iPhone. Not the easiest thing to accomplish.

davidsinn

Quote from: ltdomke on March 30, 2011, 01:21:18 AM
That's strange... I just got done talking with NHQ and they never once said the materials were sent automatically. Here is their exact response "but to send out testing material is not automatic you will have to order when the new test was printed that information was put on e-sevices right where it says CAP news"

So, unless you read CAP news all the time and then read further to discover you must request it manually, you really never know.

I feel I do a pretty good job keeping up with news but somethings just get missed. I've noticed it much more this past year as NHQ moves to electronic versions only of documents/publications that were previously in print. For example, the latest version of Flight Time came out only in electronic format. Never knew it until I inquired with NHQ when we would received our copy. Now I understand the interest in saving money by switching to electronic versions. I also see the need to still print some things considering not all squadrons have Internet and can access it at their meetings. In our case, we were relegated to teaching the Character Development lesson from the PDF file on an iPhone. Not the easiest thing to accomplish.

The new books were sent out to every unit with a cheat sheet for the testing officer. The tests were not sent automatically even thought they really should have been.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

jimmydeanno

Quote from: davidsinn on March 30, 2011, 03:02:57 AM
Quote from: ltdomke on March 30, 2011, 01:21:18 AM

The new books were sent out to every unit with a cheat sheet for the testing officer. The tests were not sent automatically even thought they really should have been.

This.  However, note that the quick reference says this:
QuoteTo obtain hard copy tests and exams:
Testing officers may print hard copy versions of the online achievement tests in E-Services.
Any senior member may order hard copy milestone award exams for their unit. Call the
Cadets' Registrar at 877.227.9142 x203 or email sjackson@capnhq.gov.